Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 12:44 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
cut taxes and the deficit at the same time, I am all ears.
You can't. Everybody got us in this hole and everybody needs to help get us out.

When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging. The state is still building highways. I drove thru Americus yesterday, four lane construction everywhere. Stop spending before you call for tax increases.

Last edited by mccarley; 04-24-2010 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 01:13 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
You can't. Everybody got us in this hole and everybody needs to help get us out.

When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging. The state is still building highways. I drove thru Americus yesterday, four lane construction everywhere. Stop spending before you call for tax increases.
I do agree that we need to ease up on highway construction. I mean honestly, how many four-lane highways to nowhere does this state really need? We can't just pave our way out of congestion; we need to take a multi-pronged approach to our transportation problems.

That, and it just costs too darn much to keep building and maintaining highways like that.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:45 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Dude, enough. If you have a better way to cut taxes and the deficit at the same time, I am all ears.
Not a question of "cutting taxes" ....dude. The OP suggested that we raise taxes, and only on higher end of the wage earners who already pay the most. I'm commenting and responding to that premise, not some generic discussion of taxes.

All I'm saying is let's get those who pay nothing to start to pay at least a token tax... at least something. Let's also look at priorities and not fund things that ought not be the responsibilty of government, while being as responsible as possible with those things that are the pervue of government.

Let's also collect the money that's legitimately due. How many TV stories about millions in uncollected taxes do we need to see?

Old 04-24-2010, 03:02 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Dude, enough. If you have a better way to cut taxes and the deficit at the same time, I am all ears.
Your logical flaw:

your method does *not* cut taxes and the deficit at the same time.

It cuts SOME people's taxes and the deficit at the same time.

See the difference?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:36 AM

160 posts, read 530,891 times
Cut welfare 25%...EBT, Government assisted housing, and the free welfare checks people get once a month..... Cut the deficit, spending, and taxes all at the same time.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Your logical flaw:

your method does *not* cut taxes and the deficit at the same time.

It cuts SOME people's taxes and the deficit at the same time.

See the difference?
Did I say that it would cut *everyone's* taxes? I think I was pretty clear that it would cut *most* working Georgians' taxes. I honestly don't see what's so hard about this.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:03 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Did I say that it would cut *everyone's* taxes? I think I was pretty clear that it would cut *most* working Georgians' taxes. I honestly don't see what's so hard about this.
If you would have suggested *raising* taxes-significantly-on the top-tier and leaving the other pieces of the tax structure in place to pay off the deficit, I would find your idea a lot easier to take.

Then it wouldn't smack of being something you are pushing only because you, personally, probably wouldn't have to bear any pain and would actually benefit. Just those @#$@# rich folks, who are soaking THE MAN (you)!

Old 04-26-2010, 06:06 AM

Wow. I honestly had no clue just how unpopular a tax cut for the lower and middle classes is.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:14 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Wow. I honestly had no clue just how unpopular a tax cut for the lower and middle classes is.
Tax cuts for the lower and middle classes are only popular with the lower and middle classes- they're not so popular with those of us who already pay more than our share, and are now being asked to pay more so that you can have a tax cut.

I've already agreeds to ante up the extra $1,500 to cover my portion of the budget shortfall- when are you going to commit to kicking in your piece? Or are you still asking me to send in yours for you too?

Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Tax cuts for the lower and middle classes are only popular with the lower and middle classes- they're not so popular with those of us who already pay more than our share, and are now being asked to pay more so that you can have a tax cut.

I've already agreeds to ante up the extra $1,500 to cover my portion of the budget shortfall- when are you going to commit to kicking in your piece? Or are you still asking me to send in yours for you too?
Excellent post Bob, and I too would agree to pay a one-time surcharge to help make up the shortfall. My condition, as I sense you are implying as well, is that it's an equally shared sacrifice.

The problem we have today, and what makes folks like me mad, is that we have roughly 50% who stand around and whine and demand all kinds of programs from the gov't, but they pay nothing. On top of that, they have the nerve to call for those of us who do pay enormous sums to pay more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: