U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:42 PM

14,605 posts, read 23,349,245 times

Advertisements

You may also want post this in the Atlanta Forum--you will get even more feedback.

(And remember--Peachtree City, Newnan, Senoia, Fayetteville, Tyrone, and Sharpsburg are all southern suburbs of Atlanta.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,066 times
I'll second that about Senoia. It's three miles from PTC, and 100 years older. The town has subdivisions, recreation, and cart paths, but cross the high ridge between PTC and Senoia and also find a bustling downtown with unique shops, restaurants, friendly people, historic buildings and homes, museums, a grocery store where the owner will know your name within a week, and a row of million-dollar brownstones currently under construction. If you're lucky, you may see a movie being filmed, a group of locals sitting on the benches in front of the buggy museum shooting the breeze, or run into one of the town's many characters. There are also a couple of cranky folks.
Senoia is like Brigadoon...hidden off the main highway for 150 years only to be discovered by the outside world within the last five years. No Publix, No Walmart, No Applebee's, but if you gotta have 'em, they're not that far away, and when you go to one of these places, you'll really appreciate coming home.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:25 AM

15 posts, read 41,023 times
Default Why I Like Newnan Better

I grew up in Newnan and think it is the superior community over Peachtree City, Senoia, Moreland, Tyrone, et cetera.

Unlike all the others, Newnan is a historic community that has maintained and preserved its roots while also investing in smart development. Newnan has the most charming downtown I have experienced anywhere except for (maybe) Mobile, AL. It favors larger lots--in fact in the city limits, it is downright impossible to find a home on less than half an acre unless it is very old or was recently grandfathered into the city limits. It maintains beautiful, small parks that contribute to a real sense of community, one you miss out in the cookie cutter 'burbs of Peachtree City. Other features include its own water reservoir system, churches of almost every stripe (Peachtree City still has bragging rights on the only synagogue, I believe), a real old fashioned recreation center that offers activities for very little money, and its own police and fire departments. Oh, and liquor-by-the-drink, if that is important to you. Newnan was the first metro city south of Atlanta to make that legal.

Coweta County schools get a really unfair snubbing from Fayette County residents. Coweta County sends just as many graduates to the Ivy League, tends to have small schools, and has remarkable quality you can't find elsewhere for the price tag. There are a few schools in Coweta that are less than desirable, but that is true of every single community, including Fayette County. Check out any Friday night at the Newnan High Drake Stadium or East Coweta's and you will see how much the community is involved in the schools. I attended Elm Street Elementary (Alan Jackson's alma mater), Evans Middle School, and Newnan High. I was so well prepared when my family moved to Cobb County halfway through my high school years that I attended college a year early.

Why do people overlook Newnan? Probably because they don't take the time to drive past the shopping and into the heart. Cannongate, Madras, and the rest aren't the real Newnan. The street after street of antebellum and Victorian mansions are. LaGrange street with its charming mix of homes and immaculate landscaping is. Drake Stadium during a football game is. Sprayberry's BBQ on a Saturday night is. Wednesday night spaghetti dinner at your preferred church is. Neighbors who have lived in the town for generations, who watch out for you and your children are.

I'm sorry, but the higher price tags and shiny golf carts of Peachtree City can't buy an ounce of what makes Newnan special. Now, Fayetteville...that's worth checking out if you simply must have the Fayette County address.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 AM

13,708 posts, read 18,003,553 times
"Newnan was the first town in South Metro Atlanta to have liquor by the drink ..." ?!?!?

Oh honey PLEASE! PTC has had L-B-T-D as long as I've been alive ... And I'm 44! People in Newnan (and Tyrone and Fayetteville and Senoia) used to drive to PTC to buy their alcohol cause it was only place to get it on the Southside (and you were less likely to run into the preacher in the check-out line!)

can honestly say I've never heard anybody promote their hometown as having old houses, a football stadium and liquor! (and sorry, but no ... Coweta schools are good but they are NOT Fayette County Schools. Smaller? Coweta has 3 high schools, Newnan and ECHS both have 2,000+ students. Fayette has 5 high schools w/ average enrollment around 1,500. The lowest ranked Fayette high school is still ranked higher than the best Coweta high school. Look it up on the GaDOE web site. There's a reason why so many people live in East Coweta -- because it's the closest they can get to Fayette County without having to pay for it.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:31 AM

15 posts, read 41,023 times
Umm, different strokes for different folks, perhaps? I'm sorry that we have a difference of opinion, but I made in my post that it was MY OPINION pretty clear. You have your opinion, I have mine. And, sorry but I've never heard anyone think their city is the best ever because of golf carts or higher price tags, either.

As to liquor-by-the-drink, I am positive that Newnan was the first to institute it and develop accordingly (which I will admit to possibly having left out of my post). Before it, the only sit down restaurants in the area were few and far between...and equally few in Peachtree City (Ruby Tuesdays being the only one to come instantly to mind, though non-chain ones likely existed in PTC as well). I guess you prefer gloss over heritage, to each his or her own.

Coweta Co. schools are small. Note that I said small, not smaller or smallest. There are way more elementary and middle schools than for the same population in other, larger, counties. I started at Newnan High and ended up at McEachern High School when it was the largest in the South East. To me, the difference was apparent. I don't think that is a bad thing. The county has three high schools because that is all the population can support.

Cowetans may have been going to Peachtree City for their liquor (I'm old enough to remember as well, and don't remember them doing so), but where does Peachtree City shop? Also, I made it clear that that fact might only be important to some people. Sheesh.

Fayette County has perks, but despite what some people seem to think, Newnan isn't the horse crap on the bottom of their boots. Heck, neither can hold a candle to Buckhead or East Cobb in terms of prestige, school quality, access to shopping and culture, and proximity to Atlanta. I live in East Cobb right now for work, but can honestly say I'd happily chuck it all away for a slower pace, a little more room, and a much prettier (in my opinion) view. But, I won't be tootling around in a golf cart.

There is room for any and all opinions on this site, I think. Let's try not to denigrate those who disagree with our own. When someone asks for opinions on the area, let's try to allow all opinions to be shared. If we cannot do that, we are giving outsiders to the area a pretty pitiful view of the whole place all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or