U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 09:06 AM

10 posts, read 41,750 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!

Can somebody tell me about the town of Wrens? If we relocate, my husband thinks he might want to live in (or near) Wrens. We've never seen the town before. It looks to me like it's in the middle of nowhere, though. I'd rather be close to the city (I understand Martinez and Evans are very nice areas).

What are your thoughts on Wrens? How about Thomson?

Thank you so much!

Last edited by HomeschoolMomofFour; 08-03-2006 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 11:24 AM

10 posts, read 41,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryberry View Post
I was born and raised in the area. It is a corrupt little town where the Police Cheif and the Mayor were grand fathered in. The police are brutal and will harrass and beat you, especially if you are black, ask them questions about why you are being pulled over. The mentallity of the people is still very old school. Oh did I mention that there are no jobs in the area. Everyone has to work in Augusta. There is actually no housing available unless you buy land and build your own. Not recomended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh oh. That doesn't sound good. How about Thomson or Harlem? Do you know much about them? Thomson looks adorable!

Old 08-17-2006, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,783 times
Default Comments on the area

Hey, my husband and I just moved to the area. We are in Martinez, and we love it. The people here are friendly and even though it is nicely suburban, our neighborhood is full of trees, which we like. Evans is nice, too. We were told that it was rated #32 in the top 100 places to live in the US.
I home schooled our daughter. She is 13 now, and wanted to try public school this year. The schools in Columbia county are known to be excellent, and so far our experience is stellar. There is also alot of support in the area for homeschoolers, and a really cool pilot program for taking some classes with public school (like physics and things where you would want to use their resources/lab) for students who are primarily homeschooled. Check out Evans Christian Academy, they are running it. Sounds like the best of both worlds, and it opens you up to the resources that the public schools have, since your taxes paid for it. The area is very family friendly, and there seems to be lots in the way of jobs and reasonable housing. We have spoken to many who came here as Yankees or outsiders, planning to only stay for a while, and they say they will never leave, so good feedback from (Evans, especially, Martinez, in general all of Columbia County) If your husband is into more of the rural scene, the country isn't far. We saw lots of wooded lots if you are looking to build for sale with acerage for hunting and that kind of thing when we were looking into it, although I am not so sure exactly where. Anyway, good luck! Wren sounds horrible! Even my cat loves Martinez!

Old 09-05-2006, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 27,148 times
My grandmother and my mother live in Wrens.......I would not live there. It is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Ryberry was correct in saying that most people live in Augusta.......you also will have to drive to Augusta to go to Wal-Mart or the mall. The only shopping there is Dollar General and there used to be a Bill's Dollar store. Basically there is not much to do there.

I would definitely not advise moving to Wrens.....Martinez and Evans are nice areas but due to the area growth the traffic is getting bad. Evans is only about 10 to 15 minutes from Thurmond Lake or as the locals call it Clark Hill Lake.

Martinez and Evans also have great Columbia County schools!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:47 PM

26 posts, read 436,172 times
Any comments about Thomson,GA would be appreciated. I am interested in housing and "things to do." Thanks!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:59 PM

328 posts, read 777,463 times
What do you want to know about Thomson Ga?I live here in Thomson i will be glad to answer anything for you.There is also a website its Thomson-mcduffie.com by the way where are you moving from?

Old 01-17-2007, 04:19 PM

Hi 'Georgiadog',
RE: Thomson, Ga - Is it more rural, city or suburban? Is Thomson safe? Are there sections to avoid in Thomson? What do you do for fun in Thomson, GA?
Are there apartment complexes or is it mostly single homes?
Do most people work in Augusta or Fort Gordon? Are the homes mostly family or singles? Is it diverse?
Anyone with info on Thomson, feel free to join the conversation. Please.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:30 AM

328 posts, read 777,463 times
I would say we are more rural but growing.There are plans to redevelop downtown and a new city/goverment complex is is the plans as well.There are also plans to buid another interchange this will give thomson 3 interstate exits to 1-20.Also a new bypass should start this year that will really help the town grow and another bypass is planned down the road.Thomson is a nice warm friendly town where the county and city work together.Also a new bowling alley is planned that will include two putt putt courses inside.We have belle meade country club that is an 18 hole course with many other courses in the area.If you like going to the lake there is thurmond lake one of the biggest lakes east of the mississippi.There are two new retirement developments being built and three new subdivisions in the works.As far as thomson being safe its very safe.We have a big walmart,ryans,mcdonalds,wendys,burger king,checkers,taco bell,zaxbys,krystal,arbys,pizza hut,subway,dominos,sonic,kfc,waffle house,chinese,chester fried etc with more on the way.I will say this about thomson its about to really take off here.Where do most people work it depends on what u do and what u are looking for u could work in thomson or surrounding places.We also have a good recreation dept.We have a good school system with two new schools planning to be built.Anymore questions feel free to ask.You may want to check out mcduffie mirror.com its one of our two newspapers and of course thomson-mcduffie.com.Were are u moving from?

Old 01-18-2007, 09:40 PM

GA-Dog,
Thanks so much for the information. I had no idea Thomson had so much to offer. That's exciting for you all and its what makes this forum sooo unique.
When people take the time to share their cities with people who don't know but would like to know more about an area. There's nothing like first-hand, personal experience info.
Not only, am I reading your post, I'm sharing it with a friend who is looking in the Aiken area. I cannot wait to share with her about up-and-coming Thomson along with other info gleaned here including Martinez and Hephzibah.

Last edited by replantedinsc; 01-18-2007 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: made correction

Old 01-20-2007, 11:48 AM

64 posts, read 679,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeschoolMomofFour View Post
Hi, everyone!

Can somebody tell me about the town of Wrens? If we relocate, my husband thinks he might want to live in (or near) Wrens. We've never seen the town before. It looks to me like it's in the middle of nowhere, though. I'd rather be close to the city (I understand Martinez and Evans are very nice areas).

What are your thoughts on Wrens? How about Thomson?

Thank you so much!
My uncle is a minister in Evans and it is a very nice, clean, growing town. Predominately white and a very low key community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or