Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,201 times

Advertisements

Alright, I'm starting to "look" at places to relocate. My husbands family is in Ft. Valley, GA and we are currently in Renton, WA, south of Seattle. I've lived in WA all my life with the exception of 6 months in Fayetteville, NC. I HATED it there, it's ugly and the people are not friendly at all. I'm used to the greenery, the rain, the obvious seasons, seasonal allergies, starbucks everywhere, nice suburbs and good job opportunities and education. I need to be relocated to a suburb that is similar to what I've been used to, I'm not a "country" girl at all, though I dont mind getting away now and then. I need the city life if I want it, but pretty scenery that makes it feel homey. I know I'm quite picky, but I'm just not sure and would love some information on places to look. My husband suggested Augusta, but it looked rather small to me, too small.... Atlanta is too busy and Macon is, kinda small as well.

Advice, suggestions, ideas... anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 07:30 AM

348 posts, read 1,021,361 times
I don't know, seems you might have a hard time fitting in anywhere that isn't Seattle. What did you hate about NC? I think you need to give a place more than 6 months time to be fair in judgement.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:04 AM

43 posts, read 219,022 times
Buckhead is just outside of Atlanta, happening place. Alparetta is about 20 minutes outside of Atlanta, and more of a Suberbia type of atmosphere. Look into those areas, but I agree with the other post. It sounds like you love your area and may have a tough time anywhere else.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:54 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Try Savannah.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:12 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,283 times
When you say you need the city life you should be warned that nowhere in Georgia is going to come close to what Seattle has to offer. That said Atlanta is going to be your best bet and like JPD said Savannah would be next. Savannah doesn't have the kind of job opportunities Atlanta or Seattle has. Also Georgia in general isn't nearly as well educated as Seattle or the state of Washington.

There is lots of green in Georgia but the rain is much different. Atlanta for instance gets more precipitation but most days are sunny and then once in a while it rains, and when it rains it pours. Also as you probably know from your time in NC the humidity and heat make for a much different climate then Seattle.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:45 PM

8 posts, read 38,013 times
Why not try Cobb County? There are wonderful places in Marietta, if you go to West Cobb or even Paulding county, you can find pretty homes, surrounded by mountain scenery yet you are 45 minutes to Atlanta and about an hour to Chattanooga.

Moderator cut: Removed

Last edited by xxman777; 06-13-2007 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 06-14-2007, 08:09 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,177 times
Suwanee is nice, good jobs and housing. They have a town park with coffee shops and eateries built around it. It is outside of Atlanta, so you don't have to deal with the traffic on a regular basis, but I can be in downtown Atlanta in 45 minutes if I so desire.

We have Starbucks, rain, four seasons, and lots of greenery.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:53 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,545 times
Wink Thinkg of relocating to or around Forsyth County..HELP

Hi all,
I have posted many times but I would like to be a bit more verbal so that I to can get some great advise(more) about this area and any other areas within the outskirs of ATL.

I am a former New Englander now living in SWFL. As many have posted there is a major issue here with rising costs of almost everything but especially Homeowners insurance(5000k is not unrealistic ...at least from THIER point of view..not homeowners thats for sure) and property taxes start roughly at 3000k a year. I just cant afford to live here any longer. I have been here for 3 yrs a a renter and I pay as much to rent as I could to own in GA if not less so my questions are pretty simple.

What areas are family friendly, good schools and a decent home(1995-present) in a community or not...Good neighborhoods and shopping(local). We are interested in a small community but close enough to the "City" if we need it(I hope not I hate big cities)....If anyone could help me with Cummin information as I have heard good things about it and thier schools but not much about the community and such itself(shopping etc...and is it all or mostly within walking distance)...I am looking to visit the area in the next month or so and we are still in the early stages of looking at what is best for our situation and family but I have a feeling that I will love NE Georgia...I am a bit leary of the "Cold" weather(what is the actual temps like in winter months and how long does the "Cold" last) I have not heard alot of good things on Savangna(sp) especially the crime rate which is where we were first considering. How is the weather overall...I am used to the heat and humidiity so I am not concerned about that at all.
Any help, suggestions would be most helpful. I am not picky for the most part. basically we want a safe, family friendly community that welcomes northerners(transplanted) and areas that are educationally sound..We have a middle schooler. Employment is not an issue as my husband is a OTR driver and already has gainful employment that doestn dictate where he has to live so we can literally move anywhere....Thanks so much..Sorry for the book..Have a good day Lisa

Old 06-15-2007, 07:19 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
We have Starbucks, rain, four seasons, and lots of greenery.
Eh, I might give Atlanta 3 seasons, but not 4. A winter without snow is not a winter at all.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:04 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,177 times
nibseysgirl - you can't walk to shopping in Cumming. You will get run over by a car if you try. It will be difficult for you to find much in the suburbs where you can walk to a variety of shopping. You might find a situation where your home is close to a grocery store or something, but your neighbors would think you were odd if you walked there. Everything is so spread out, you really need a car. Of course there are exceptions, but I am just saying Cumming isn't likely to have abundant options for you.

Cold weather - our first frost is end of October, last frost is mid-April. We have some really nice days during the winter. It can be sunny and 70 degrees at Christmastime, or 30 degrees and rainy. If you don't park your car in the garage you will need an ice scraper for your windsheild. We have maybe one major ice storm per year, occasional light snow. When that happens, the schools shut down and everybody stays home, so no big deal as long as your power doesn't go out. You will need a winter coat, but you won't need to wear it every day in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia