Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:02 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Anyone know a trail where someone can go biking casually?
Like the Silver Comet Trail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Anyone know a trail where someone can go biking casually?
Check out the Athens Greenway for biking trails. I know there are some there, but please check with some one you know about safety in that area.

Also, on eastside Athens: Not sure if biking is legal on sidewalks, but there are sidewalks all the way on Cedar Shoals towards Whit Davis, and on Whit Davis towards the parks @ Lexington. Also, there might be biking lanes on these roads.

FYI - ACC Skate Park at SE Clarke Park The SPLOST 2000 funded skate park is designed to accommodate both skate boards and BMX bikes. The Skate Park is 14,000 square feet in size.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Like the Silver Comet Trail?
I believe papilgee4evaeva already lives in the Athens area.

In north metro Atlanta, there are greenway trails in:
Suwanee (Gwinnett county), Alpharetta (Big Creek?), Silver Comet (Cobb)

Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Thirteen days or so, and you'll be correct.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:43 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post

In north metro Atlanta, there are greenway trails in:
Suwanee (Gwinnett county), Alpharetta (Big Creek?), Silver Comet (Cobb)
Sorry, I should have said "Looking for something like the Silver Comet Trail?"

I realize Athens isn't in Cobb, but I was unclear (in a hurry,actually).

Old 06-27-2010, 06:12 PM

***Athens shopping information***

[A] Georgia Square Mall: Anchored by Macys, Belk, JC Penney, and Sears. Best Buy, Toys R Us, Starbucks, etc in vicinity. Also has a dollar (or a few dollars) movie theater.

[b] Colonial Beechwood Promenade (Beechwood): Several retail stores (eg. Talbots, Radioshack). Movie theater. Restaurants in the shopping complex, across, and close by.

[C] Following three locations for specialty shops, art, fashion, gifts, antiques, jewelry, and eclectic independent shops:
Downtown Athens
Five Points
Prince Avenue / Normaltown

[D] There is a collection of stores (Walmart, Kohls, Ashley Furniture, Lowes, Home Depot, ...) on 316 at the Clarke/Oconee boundary (Epps Bridge area)

[E] Eastside Athens has: Lowes, Walmart, Carmike Cinemas

Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 AM

30 posts, read 120,676 times
Athens is a neat town. I am from Illinois, but was in Athens this past weekend to attend a friend's wedding, who moved to Georgia about ten years ago. I don't travel much, but it was cool to spend a few days in a neat little town such as Athens. The wedding was at the State Botanical Garden's day chapel (very nice place by the way).

I would love to someday be in town for a UGA football game, though I was told that the town absolutely shutsdown, and that highway 316 is a complete parking lot on the days leading up to it.

My fiance absolutely loved Waffle House. It's a shame we don't have one anywhere close to us in Illinois. They are all over the Athens/Atlanta area.

What I especially notice each time I do visit the south (I've been to Georgia two other times, as well as the Smoky Mountains) is how much more friendly the people are. I noticed the same while in Athens. It is refreshing.

The overall scenery in Georgia is very pretty. It's nice driving down a highway like 316, or through a town like Athens and seeing nothing but trees. The flat cornfields in Illinois get old and depressing.

Athens is a neat town worth checking out - I don't know if I'll ever have the chance to go back there, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it if I ever do.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 PM

Athens' newest hotel is a surprising addition (a boutique hotel in Athens!):
Hotel Indigo in Downtown Athens (http://www.athensdowntownhotel.com/home.html - broken link)

I have heard only good things said about this place.

Athens downtown also has a Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, and a Holiday Inn Express.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Athens is a great place to retire. For metro-Atlantans, and anyone wanting to have a slower pace.

At a housing cost of 150K or less, one can find good quality single family houses (eg. several subdivisions in eastside Athens - Whit Davis rd; Winterville; ...). Taxes are low (at least compared to metro Atlanta) -- a 150K house will probably be 1.7K in annual property tax in Clarke county.

With two top notch hospitals (Athens Regional, and St Marys), and doctors offices on Prince Ave and Baxter street areas -- healthcare can be easily handled. Also, here is a link to Athens' VA outpatient facility: Athens VA outpatient facility

Athens, GA has shown up on lists of Best Places to Retire. Other than what Athens itself has to offer, Atlanta of course is only 50-70 miles away.

*** Although I can see the attractiveness of Athens to retirees, I am no expert on the topic. If anyone is knowledgeable about this, please follow up. ***

Old 07-28-2010, 06:21 PM

Athens is getting its Trader Joes! Seems to be in the area between Clarke and Oconee counites, close to GA 316.

Trader Joe's enters Athens market - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia