U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 AM

470 posts, read 1,348,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
So anybody else think that the Athens Perimeter should be six-laned?
Why? When does traffic move at slower than the speed limit other than on game day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,357,491 times
Only when there are slow drivers in all the lanes in front of me. :P

But as a whole, the Perimeter's not busy enough for six lanes yet. Maybe it could use additional lanes between Atlanta Highway and Macon Highway, but that's about it....

Personally, I only see two deficiencies with the road:
1) The traffic light at Peter St/Olympic Dr (there are plans to convert it to an interchange)
2) The interchange at US 29 where you have to exit the Loop to stay on it... should be a continuous freeway

Old 01-07-2011, 03:02 PM

7,263 posts, read 13,092,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Athens is a great place to retire. For metro-Atlantans, and anyone wanting to have a slower pace.

At a housing cost of 150K or less, one can find good quality single family houses (eg. several subdivisions in eastside Athens - Whit Davis rd; Winterville; ...). Taxes are low (at least compared to metro Atlanta) -- a 150K house will probably be 1.7K in annual property tax in Clarke county.

With two top notch hospitals (Athens Regional, and St Marys), and doctors offices on Prince Ave and Baxter street areas -- healthcare can be easily handled. Also, here is a link to Athens' VA outpatient facility: Athens VA outpatient facility

Athens, GA has shown up on lists of Best Places to Retire. Other than what Athens itself has to offer, Atlanta of course is only 50-70 miles away.

*** Although I can see the attractiveness of Athens to retirees, I am no expert on the topic. If anyone is knowledgeable about this, please follow up. ***
I have a question on the retirees. I ask because these lists that praise some areas are not for everyone. Some of these areas are definetly for the more affluent retiree that travels alot. I will be in the retired group but probably in name only. Im not interested in just staying home and would want a part time job as I have now. Im definitely not into sitting around the house watching TV.

Im interested in a community the size of Athens and its proximity to the larger city Atlanta. Close proximity without being in its mess of traffic. Im looking at College towns because I feel they would not be so conservative, that I would feel out of place. My concern is this. Is life and the economy in Athens dominated by the University and student population. If it is then it would probably be better for the younger person than a transplant in their early 60's.

My only comparison is to college cities I am familiar with or visited. I am familiar with Eugene, Oregon since I live in Portland. There is 0 economy in that city other than the Univ of Oregon. Life is completely dominated by the school. There is alot of property crime, unemployment and alot of drugs. Forget that city. I would never consider Eugene anyway.

Gainesville, Fla I have only visited and it seems it has an economy based on the Univ and Medical facilities. The personality of the city did seem dominated by the school. The majority of the population seems to be under age 30 and that is on the high side. I don't think I would care for Gainesville. I would feel way out of place, and its really a distance to other Metro's I would care to go to for the day.

So how is Athens? Is it a well rounded population and economy, or is life pretty much built around the schools and primarily that age group only.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks in Advance. Jimrob1

Old 01-08-2011, 03:01 AM

13,374 posts, read 18,826,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeshonder View Post
Why? When does traffic move at slower than the speed limit other than on game day?
All the time behind rolling road blocks. Granted, part of it has to do with some of the long hills, but whenever there are enough clumps of slow-moving cars on the highway that half of my drive is spent below the speed limit, then capacity expansion should probably be considered if for no other reason than to prevent rolling road blocks. Besides, when you have an 18-wheeler going 50 up one of those long hills and another stooge passing him at 53 in the left lane, that gets very aggravating. The entire north Perimeter between U.S. 29 and Atlanta Highway is congested during the day, and so is the entire south Perimeter between GA 316 and Lexington Road. The only places that aren't prone to rolling road blocks are between Atlanta highway and GA 316, and between Lexington Road and U.S. 29.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:16 AM

135 posts, read 300,237 times
Default PDX to Athens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
My concern is this. Is life and the economy in Athens dominated by the University and student population. If it is then it would probably be better for the younger person than a transplant in their early 60's.
Yes, Athens is dominated by UGA, but the 60+ yr old transplants that I know seem to like it here.

That said...I've lived and worked in Athens for 20 years after living and working for 4 years in Portland. Athens is nice, but I'd take Portland in a heartbeat.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:46 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,187,038 times
I've lived in Athens for 20 years and my wife is a native. We are retired. I think there are better university communities than Athens with a better quality of life overall. If biking is important to someone, Athens is likely not a first choice. We have very limited biking trails. The ones we do have are not known for personal safety. Athens is loaded with public housing and there is much crime emanating from them. Also, many apartment complexes have "thugged up" over time. We've had 2 unresolved murders in the past several months and some very long standing murders. We are loaded with bars which tend to make people stupid on occasion. Athens has pluses and minuses as anyplace does. It just all depends on what is important to you.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinExPat View Post
Yes, Athens is dominated by UGA, but the 60+ yr old transplants that I know seem to like it here.

That said...I've lived and worked in Athens for 20 years after living and working for 4 years in Portland. Athens is nice, but I'd take Portland in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the info on Athens. I don't know if you have visited Portland in the years since living here. If not it has changed dramatically. It is consumed by homelessness and drugs and alot of gang activity. Combine that with high chronic unemployment, makes me fear for this area of the US. Not what I would call a very diversified city for its size. If you like it Im glad because I can no longer stand what its become. I don't think all that many people would consider Portland, as a sensible retirement area any longer.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I've lived in Athens for 20 years and my wife is a native. We are retired. I think there are better university communities than Athens with a better quality of life overall. If biking is important to someone, Athens is likely not a first choice. We have very limited biking trails. The ones we do have are not known for personal safety. Athens is loaded with public housing and there is much crime emanating from them. Also, many apartment complexes have "thugged up" over time. We've had 2 unresolved murders in the past several months and some very long standing murders. We are loaded with bars which tend to make people stupid on occasion. Athens has pluses and minuses as anyplace does. It just all depends on what is important to you.

Thanks. Yes trails would be very important to me, in fact they are high on my criteria of where I choose to retire.

I have been considering the state for several reasons. One is the tax breaks for retirees once they hit age 62. Georgia obviously is trying to attrack retirees with that tax break. In Oregon the income tax on retirement income is 10%. Plus I am so sick of the climate and Radical political society here.

I really don't know of areas in Georgia and Athens has been listed in places to retire. It seemed like the size community I would want and within range of the bigger Metro. I definitely would not care to live close in Atlanta, and I really don't know of other areas in the state.

I do need those trails and Im not sure Georgia is really interested in that type of activity. I do know about the Silver Comet Trail but Im told it is in the Atlanta region. Other than that trail I guess it is rather limited. Perhaps Georgia is not for me.

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 PM

3,317 posts, read 4,866,168 times
Peachtree City, GA probably has one of the best networks of trails in the entire country. Roughly 100 miles of paved paths, completely independent of the road system. Tons of people drive golf carts along them, and others walk and ride bikes. Elderly folks use golf carts as an alternative to driving cars sometimes, since they are lower speed and do not require a license.

Of course, it's in outer suburban Atlanta.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:00 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,187,038 times
Thanks. Yes trails would be very important to me, in fact they are high on my criteria of where I choose to retire.

Perhaps Boulder, CO. Then there is Sierra Vista, AZ. It has a LOT of trails and the roads also have bicycle space. Climate is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or