Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 PM

21 posts, read 31,084 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I have been scanning these threads for a few weeks now and thought I would ask a few (ok, maybe lots!) of questions of my own. We are facing the possibility of moving from Northern Cal. to Georgia for my husband's job. We currently live in a very rural foothill community about 45 minutes commute from Sacramento. We love many, many things about Ca., but have become increasingly disillusioned with the politics, lack of water, scary fire seasons, high cost of living, and the politics. I was born and raised here, but hubby is from Washington originally and traveled all over the world while in the Marine Corp. We raise horses, and have a great many rescued pets (as i am a Vet Tech and bring home all the misfits) So we are looking for affordable property, if possible.
Husband's job will be based in the Atlanta area but there will be a possibility that he could work primarily from home, meaning we could be a bit farther out. We are caucasian with children from China and Ethiopia.
I explain all this to show we fit in almost no 'mold'.
In a nutshell: Affordable land and home, good schools and activities for kids, within an hour or 2 from Atlanta, welcoming of my very unusual family.
We thought we were going to move to Texas a few years ago, and everyone we spoke to assumed we were millionaires because we were coming from California. There seems to be a great deal of Anti-California sentiment!...is this true in Georgia as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 06:43 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
There's anti-CA sentiment all across the country, but it's less here (and up/down the east coast) mostly due to less exposure. Here in GA, you'll run into more issue with the fact that you don't have roots in GA for 200 years, people will refuse to do business with you (or they have me, and I'm married into a local family with those needed 200 years worth of roots ~ thankfully as I'd never get ANY contract work done if not for my father-in-law calling for me).

Anyway, schools are tough. I know that Harris county has come of the top rated schools in the state, and another posted claims that Oconee county is similarly good. Both are about an 90 minutes from mid-town Atlanta. Oconee has a little more terrain/elevation (I like traveling through.visiting the area), I strongly suspect that Harris will have cheaper land prices. If political views mean anything to you, rural GA is conservative and only very urban centers have a majority of liberal views. And just a warning, but if you think Racism doesn't exist anymore (on a day to day biases, in a casual manor), you're in for a rude awakening. It's the single thing that annoys me the most about GA, I was born and raised in Wyoming and even 13 years after my first exposure it's very hard to witness.

Anyway, look at those 2 counties (and surrounding areas) for a starting point.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 AM

thank you, Brian_M

Old 10-14-2013, 08:20 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times
Anti-California sentiment, for the most part, is about anti-governmental-overregulation/distrust of a nanny state, and not about a dislike of the people of California. You, yourself, are looking to get away from there because of the politics [among other reasons], so its not like you're bringing California-tinged politics into a place where its unwelcome. And as long as you're not wearing your California-origins on your sleeve [carrying your surfboards through the grocery store, or showing your Screen Actors Guild card to get a discount at the local BBQ joint, for instance], or constantly reminding your new neighbors of it ["Back in California, everyone rides dressage"], nobody will care. Take it from me; I relocated from an hour outside of NYC to rural GA. Earning your neighbors' trust is the same everywhere.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:01 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
A few things that are really important are:

1.) In which part of the Atlanta metro area will your husband be working?

...The area of Metro Atlanta where your husband will be working is VERY IMPORTANT because of Atlanta infamous rush-hour commutes made difficult by too many people (a metro region population of 6 million people) trying to use a road network that was only designed and built to handle the traffic movements of a metro region of about 2.5 million people.

A good comparison would be to imagine even how much worse the already notoriously-bad traffic problems of Greater Los Angeles would be if Greater L.A. and its population of about 17 million people had to try to use the road network of a much-smaller Phoenix or San Diego.

It is because of Atlanta's substantial traffic issues of too many motorists trying to use an undersized road network that attempting to position one's family to live relatively close to where they work (if possible) is very important.

2.) What is the highest amount that you can or want to pay for a place to live?

...This is important because just like in every major metropolitan region, different neighborhoods have differing price points.

Knowing your price point will help posters to guide you on where to look depending on what you are willing to pay.

Just due to the ethnic and racial makeup your family there are some places in and throughout the popular northern suburbs of Atlanta that immediately come to mind due to their very-high amount of diversity and their excellent schools.

But the downside of those northern suburbs is their often severe traffic problems because of their popularity and their excellent schools.

Another concern is the degree to which those excellent schools in the northern suburbs of Atlanta are competitive as some school districts are intensely-competitive to the point that those schools' knack for being feeder schools for Ivy League-caliber institutions sometimes proves to be too competitive for some parents and families.

In addition to the above concerns, something else that may help others be able to assist you would be to read the following, answer the questions with as much detail as you can, and post those answers in a new thread in the Atlanta Forum where there is much more traffic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Helpful Tip,
For all of those about to move or thinking about moving to the Atlanta metro area, in order for us to better assist you and for you to get more responses please provide us with as much of the following information as possible in your initial post please:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

These are just a few off the top of my head, feel free to add more.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:55 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyfourLegs View Post
Hi Everyone, I have been scanning these threads for a few weeks now and thought I would ask a few (ok, maybe lots!) of questions of my own. We are facing the possibility of moving from Northern Cal. to Georgia for my husband's job. We currently live in a very rural foothill community about 45 minutes commute from Sacramento. We love many, many things about Ca., but have become increasingly disillusioned with the politics, lack of water, scary fire seasons, high cost of living, and the politics. I was born and raised here, but hubby is from Washington originally and traveled all over the world while in the Marine Corp. We raise horses, and have a great many rescued pets (as i am a Vet Tech and bring home all the misfits) So we are looking for affordable property, if possible.
Husband's job will be based in the Atlanta area but there will be a possibility that he could work primarily from home, meaning we could be a bit farther out. We are caucasian with children from China and Ethiopia.
I explain all this to show we fit in almost no 'mold'.
In a nutshell: Affordable land and home, good schools and activities for kids, within an hour or 2 from Atlanta, welcoming of my very unusual family.
We thought we were going to move to Texas a few years ago, and everyone we spoke to assumed we were millionaires because we were coming from California. There seems to be a great deal of Anti-California sentiment!...is this true in Georgia as well?
I would look at Oconee County or Morgan County. Oconee schools are some of the best in the state and it is rural without being backward. Land is available but what you consider affordable is your call. I suspect there is plenty of land that is very negotiable if the for sale signs I see everywhere are any indicator. I don't think your children would run into any difficulties in that school system. There are also numerous private schools costing at various rates. GA is also a very friendly homeschooling state should you opt for that adventure.

We are overrun with veterinarians in this area (Athens metro) due to, I guess, the UGA vet school which continues to grow. Many students come to school here and opt to stay doing whatever job they can find. If you were not concerned with schools, then I'd recommend living in Clarke County given we have low taxes yet good government services. Schools are poor at best. You can google map the Oconee area and its proximity to wherever your husband might be working.

You mentioned some of the issues in CA such as fires and water. GA just broke out of a drought this past year. We could go back into one easily enough. But we are also prone to serious storms and not infrequent tornadoes so do not think this is a benign region regarding environment. UGA dominates the 5 counties economically. We also have a very diverse population so your "unusual" family would appear to be quite normal actually. Maybe a little less so in Oconee County but not a lot.

If you live in the Morgan County area, beautiful country, and near I-20, your husband would have drive into Atlanta via that interstate. Plenty of people make that trip daily. If I were relocating from Athens, the Madison area would be high on my list of possibilities.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
There's anti-CA sentiment all across the country, but it's less here (and up/down the east coast) mostly due to less exposure. Here in GA, you'll run into more issue with the fact that you don't have roots in GA for 200 years, people will refuse to do business with you (or they have me, and I'm married into a local family with those needed 200 years worth of roots ~ thankfully as I'd never get ANY contract work done if not for my father-in-law calling for me).

Anyway, schools are tough. I know that Harris county has come of the top rated schools in the state, and another posted claims that Oconee county is similarly good. Both are about an 90 minutes from mid-town Atlanta. Oconee has a little more terrain/elevation (I like traveling through.visiting the area), I strongly suspect that Harris will have cheaper land prices. If political views mean anything to you, rural GA is conservative and only very urban centers have a majority of liberal views. And just a warning, but if you think Racism doesn't exist anymore (on a day to day biases, in a casual manor), you're in for a rude awakening. It's the single thing that annoys me the most about GA, I was born and raised in Wyoming and even 13 years after my first exposure it's very hard to witness.

Anyway, look at those 2 counties (and surrounding areas) for a starting point.
You live in Meriwether County, one of the most backward, non-progressive, economically depressed and racially divided communities in the nation. It is widely known throughout the state that Meriwether is run by a handful of powerful white land owners ("Boss Hogg" types) who control everything -- they keep industry and development out to keep taxes low, which handicaps the school system and hurts the very people who need it most -- mainly, dirt poor whites and impoverished blacks who've lived there for generations and own NOTHING!

Why do you keep trying to paint the entire state of Georgia with your miserable broad brush? The rest of the state is NOT like Meriwether County!

TO THE OP: Georgia's a GREAT state with thousands of VERY happy California transplants, and an abundance of places where you could settle and find exactly the lifestyle you have there. But the deciding factor is going to be where your husband ends up working.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 PM

Thanks SO much to everyone for taking the time to answer my questions! Born 2 Roll, that is a reasonable request..and 1 I will do in the next day or so as time allows.
The area my husband's company is looking at is Sandy Springs. As for home price...much of that depends on what he will be offered as salary to relocate. My guess is 350k max for 5 or more acres. A 4 bedroom home would be glorious.
My kids are currently in a Charter school here that has them attending 3 days a week and we homeschool the other 2. The public school system in Cali is broken. There are good schools, but they are few and far between...and full! The area in which we currently live is white, white, white. Mostly we are a curiosity and the kids are able to make friends. I know this will change some as the kids get older, especially, and are at the dating age. Plus, I just really feel as if we NEED to be around other cultures and races. Around here, the rural areas are white and the urban/suburban areas are far more diverse. Let's face it; white folks like horses. :-D
Ideally, my husband will be able to primarily telecommute. Unfortunately, that is still an unknown. Just trying to get some ideas...and again, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts!
And to DJDeadParrot; my biggest crime is I am a Dodger's fan. Hubby is a Giant's fan. We will keep it on the down-low.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:47 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Thanks SO much to everyone for taking the time to answer my questions! Born 2 Roll, that is a reasonable request..and 1 I will do in the next day or so as time allows.
The area my husband's company is looking at is Sandy Springs. As for home price...much of that depends on what he will be offered as salary to relocate. My guess is 350k max for 5 or more acres. A 4 bedroom home would be glorious.
My kids are currently in a Charter school here that has them attending 3 days a week and we homeschool the other 2. The public school system in Cali is broken. There are good schools, but they are few and far between...and full! The area in which we currently live is white, white, white. Mostly we are a curiosity and the kids are able to make friends. I know this will change some as the kids get older, especially, and are at the dating age. Plus, I just really feel as if we NEED to be around other cultures and races. Around here, the rural areas are white and the urban/suburban areas are far more diverse. Let's face it; white folks like horses. :-D
Ideally, my husband will be able to primarily telecommute. Unfortunately, that is still an unknown. Just trying to get some ideas...and again, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts!
$350k max for 5 or more acres will not be doable without a long rush hour commute to work (for your husband) from what will likely be a far-outlying area that will not be anywhere near as diverse as you seem to desire with schools that may not necessarily be of the absolute highest quality.

In North Metro Atlanta where your husband will be commuting to and from work in the very-heavily rush hour-congested area of Sandy Springs, in very few cases will $350k buy you a residential property that is larger than 0.5 acres in size.

The most-diverse areas with high-quality schools where you might have a good chance of finding a home in your price range relatively nearby to where your husband will be working (in Sandy Springs) are:

...In the ultra-diverse Peachtree Corners area of Gwinnett County in the feeder zones for Pinckneyville Middle School and Norcross High School (roughly about 12-15 miles from Sandy Springs);

...In the feeder zone for Wheeler High School in East Cobb County, a highly-desired area with some of most highly-regarded public schools in the entire Southeastern U.S. (roughly about 15 miles or so from Sandy Springs);

...In the feeder zone for Duluth High School in Gwinnett County (roughly about 14-17 miles or so from Sandy Springs);

...In the feeder zone for Peachtree Ridge High School in Gwinnett County (roughly about 20 miles or so from Sandy Springs);

...In the feeder zones for North Gwinnett High School and Lanier High School in Gwinnett County (roughly about 25-30 miles or so from Sandy Springs);

...In the excellent Buford City Schools system in Gwinnett County (roughly about 30 miles or so from Sandy Springs);

...In the feeder zone for Mill Creek High School in Gwinnett County (roughly about 30-35 miles or so from Sandy Springs);

...In the feeder zones for Chattahoochee, Alpharetta, Johns Creek and Northview high schools in North Fulton County (roughly about 15-18 miles or so from Sandy Springs);

You could also try looking around within the feeder zone for Walton High School in East Cobb County.

Walton High School is only about 9-10 miles or so from Sandy Springs.

The upside is that the feeder zone for Walton High School is the closest area of very high-quality schools to where your husband will be working in Sandy Springs.

Walton High School is also widely-regarded as one of the absolute best public high schools in the entire Southeastern U.S. with most graduates of the school being more than adequately prepared to obtain an Ivy League-caliber education at the university level.

The downside about Walton High School is that unless you are willing to buy an older house or an attached Northeastern-style row house townhome, you could have problems finding a detached single-family home in your price range in such an ultra highly-desired school district.

Some more downside to Walton is that some parents (not all) feel that the school has a social environment that can be intensely-competitive (more competitive than some parents might be comfortable with for their children).

Walton is also diverse with a student body that is roughly 80% white, but Walton is not as nearly as diverse as some of the other aforementioned high schools which either have much smaller white majority or outright non-white majority student bodies.

The feeder zones for Pope and Lassiter high schools are excellent alternatives for parents who may have concerns about Walton's reputation for having an intensively-competitive social (and academic) environment.

Though, just like Walton...Pope and Lassiter are diverse, but not as diverse as the other aforementioned high schools which either have much-smaller white majority or outright non-white majority student bodies.

Northview High School in North Fulton County also has a reputation for having an intensely-competitive academic environment that some parents and students are uncomfortable with to the point of some families fleeing the district for schools with academic environments that are slightly less-competitive.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:00 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times
Quote:
And to DJDeadParrot; my biggest crime is I am a Dodger's fan. Hubby is a Giant's fan. We will keep it on the down-low.
Well, Atlanta is a National League city, so you'll at least get to see your favorite teams a couple of times a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia