U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 11,714 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - we are also looking into moving to Canton. We currently live in Alpharetta/South Forsyth County. My husband works off of N. Point Parkway and I work at Children's at Scottish Rite. We just think that Canton is beautiful, but it feels SOOOOOO far! We are really looking for good schools and a good deal on a house.

We love the homes in Governor's Preserve, but I think it's strange that noone seems to be buying there. They have been building for 7 years and they have so many homes for sale and hardly any under contract. It just strikes me as odd, esp when I drive through Harmony and other neighborhoods that are selling like crazy. I can't figure it out - because the lots are beautiful, the homes are are beautiful...any insight would be helpful.

We have yet to make it to Great Sky or River Green but want to check them out. I've always loved Woodmont, but I don't see anything in our price range currently. We're looking at low to mid 400's. Would also look into a resale if anyone knows of any great neighborhoods. We want an active family neighborhood - our children are 16, 6, and 3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 09:23 PM

15 posts, read 48,331 times
[quote=Billdemartini;902430]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post

Sure thing.

Bridgemill is in the city of Canton which is in Cherokee County. Same with Governor's Preserve, Orange Shoals, Great Sky, etc.

The only other town we really considered was Ball Ground which is very close to Canton and still in Cherokee County.

And thanks for the Happy Father's Day. It was a good one
Hi Bill,

it sounds like your the person I should ask about cherokee county. My wife and I were planning on takeing a trip up to georgia to see some property, and visit a few towns. We live in Florida now and really would like to move north.We have two small children, ages 5 and 2, so we were looking for communities with good schools, and lots of kids in the neighborhoods. Were we live now there is litterly no children in our developement. My wife is a nurse and I,m a commercial contractor. We love the outdoors, but have grown ucostomed to small city life( malls , movietheatres, etc.) so we were looking for a nice mixture of both thanks.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:09 AM

138 posts, read 567,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatgirl View Post
Hi everyone - we are also looking into moving to Canton. We currently live in Alpharetta/South Forsyth County. My husband works off of N. Point Parkway and I work at Children's at Scottish Rite. We just think that Canton is beautiful, but it feels SOOOOOO far! We are really looking for good schools and a good deal on a house.

We love the homes in Governor's Preserve, but I think it's strange that noone seems to be buying there. They have been building for 7 years and they have so many homes for sale and hardly any under contract. It just strikes me as odd, esp when I drive through Harmony and other neighborhoods that are selling like crazy. I can't figure it out - because the lots are beautiful, the homes are are beautiful...any insight would be helpful.

We have yet to make it to Great Sky or River Green but want to check them out. I've always loved Woodmont, but I don't see anything in our price range currently. We're looking at low to mid 400's. Would also look into a resale if anyone knows of any great neighborhoods. We want an active family neighborhood - our children are 16, 6, and 3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

K
Hi Tomkat,

My wife and I both used to work at McKesson off of Winward up there by North Point Parkway. I also played on an ALTA team over there. Very nice area.

I don't know if you have seen my other posts but we have been looking in Canton for quite a while now and have previewed a TON of homes in almost all of the neighborhoods in your price range.

I just ran some numbers after reading your post and here is what I found:

Governor's Preserve has 4 houses under contract, 16 sold within the last 6 months, and 66 active listings.

Harmony on the Lakes has 20 houses under contract, 39 sold within the last 6 months, and 50 active listings.

Bridgemill has 27 under contract, 69 sold in the past 6 months, and 188 active listings.

Great Sky has 5 under contract, 11 sold in the past 6 months, 52 active listings.

River Green has 15 under contract, 16 sold in the past 6 months, 52 active listings.

Woodmont has 14 under contract, 11 sold in the past 6 months, 62 active listings.

Woodmont actually has quite a few listings in your price range. I just did a quick search and found some that I really liked.

Have you guys looked in Bridgemill? It sounds like that might be a good option for you with your kids and wanting an active community. They have 25 tennis courts, 3 huge pools covering 2 acres, Fitness Center, Golf Course, Restaurant, all kinds of classes and get togethers/parties/events. Over 3,000 houses from the 200's to the million+.

My wife and I are strongly considering Bridgemill as our next destination. We have two boys, 5 and 2 years old.

Because we both work from home we have been looking almost exclusively (lately anyway) at resales for finished basements and houses that have pools (we have one now and can't imagine not having one).

Old 06-20-2007, 05:17 AM

[quote=marteck;915684]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemartini View Post

Hi Bill,

it sounds like your the person I should ask about cherokee county. My wife and I were planning on takeing a trip up to georgia to see some property, and visit a few towns. We live in Florida now and really would like to move north.We have two small children, ages 5 and 2, so we were looking for communities with good schools, and lots of kids in the neighborhoods. Were we live now there is litterly no children in our developement. My wife is a nurse and I,m a commercial contractor. We love the outdoors, but have grown ucostomed to small city life( malls , movietheatres, etc.) so we were looking for a nice mixture of both thanks.
Hi Marteck,

You sound just like us. We have a 5 and a 2 year old and we have grown accustomed to the small city life as well. We are looking for almost the exact same thing. We want the good schools, the active community with lots of kids, etc.

In fact a couple of the communities I have previewed in Cherokee where I really loved the houses, lots, and the neighborhood itself, I've actually had to cross off the list because there was no swim and tennis and I didn't see any kids or any signs of kids living in the neighborhood. That is something we definitely want for our children.

It sounds to me like Cherokee is what you guys are looking before. Lots of communities to choose from with the "small city life" so to speak (shopping malls, theaters, restaurants) but also lots of nice outdoor areas (many of the neighborhoods are on golf courses, and/or back up to green space, and some even have protected nature areas and walking trails through the woods, etc.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:53 AM

15 posts, read 48,331 times
hey Bill,

thanks for the response, we just spoke with an agent in canton, forgive me Ive never been to North Georgia so I dont Know if canton is part of Cherokee or vise versa. I love the design of the homes in canton , especially the basement, or "day basement" i think its called.My only other question was about the schools in the area, and about work for my wife and I. My line of field is Commercial Concrete(sidewalks, curb & gutter, driveways,etc.) my wife is a nurse.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:15 AM

Hey Martek,

Yes Canton is a City in Cherokee County. I love the design of the houses there too, which is one of the reasons we are moving there. According to my mother in law who is a retired teacher the schools are great in Cherokee too.

<report info from other web sites is removed>

If you go to greatschools.net you can find all kinds of information about the schools and compare them to other schools in the area.

Bill

edit - I had a bunch of stats from another site but I guess they aren't allowed. Sorry jxu. (You also erased a bunch of stuff I typed that wasn't from another site :/)

Anyway, you can find it all at GreatSchools.net

Last edited by Billdemartini; 06-20-2007 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-20-2007, 10:22 AM

985 posts, read 5,369,952 times
I would look for exceed CRCT for additonal info from 2005-2006 State of Georgia K-12 Report Card

Standard for Georgia meet and exceed CRCT score is so low that it is pretty much meaningless stat. What I find is that many Forsyth and cherokee County schools have impressive meet and exceed CRCT score, but when you check for exceed CRCT score, those schools are not nearly as impressive.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 26,819 times
We just came across Haynes Crossing online and it looks nice, plus boat/lake access is very appealing.....anyone know about it??? Is there anything near it? Shopping, hospitals, etc. Any info would be helpful. We still love Gov. Preserve, but want to make sure we explore all options and still can't get any info about that neighborhood.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimindetroit View Post
We just came across Haynes Crossing online and it looks nice, plus boat/lake access is very appealing.....anyone know about it??? Is there anything near it? Shopping, hospitals, etc. Any info would be helpful. We still love Gov. Preserve, but want to make sure we explore all options and still can't get any info about that neighborhood.
Hey Kim,

We looked at Haynes Crossing as well. The houses are gorgeous but it didn't offer what we wanted as far as the Community was concerned. If I remember correctly there were no sidewalks which we didn't like.

The neighborhood itself was off a road we didn't really care for and it was all split up along that road into different streets, instead of one big community, if that makes sense.

Have you been down here to look at any of these houses/communities yet? There is a huge difference between seeing houses/communities online and seeing them in person unfortunately.

For example to get to Governor's Preserve you turn off a fairly main road and go down a few back, very wooded roads including about a mile of nothing but woods that runs straight into Governor's Preserve. That was one of the things I loved, the first time I drove into that community.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 26,819 times
Thanks, Bill!

Yes, we did do a fast fact finding trip about a month ago. That was how we narrowed it down to Cherokee County and luckily we were able to see Harmony, Bridgemill and Governor's Preserve during that trip. We love G.P., but still searching for other options. Thanks for the input on Hayne's Crossing! We are coming to GA in August w/o our kids, so we can actually get a lot more done this time.....we hope. Since you are well versed in this area, do you know anything about Little Bear, River Green, Great Sky, Royal Oaks or Towne Mill? We like lots of space, but still a community feel for the boys. Hard to find, I know, but we are hopeful!

Thanks for any and all input! Good luck in your search, too!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or