U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,304 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family and I are planning to relocate to GA from South Florida (Miami). We currently own a business that services the entire state. We don't really have an idea of where to move but we are in our 20s and have two baby girls (2yr old and 6mth old). One of my biggest concerns is that we are of hispanic decent (Cuban) and we would like to move to a place where people are not going to look at us like we are from another planet (been to the GA mountains and experienced that a few times). I dont mind living somewhere that does not have a high percentage of hispanics as long as the people have an open mind to different cultures.

As far as work goes, we service all of GA so no matter where we go...we will always have to commute to the other end of GA at one point or another but I would like to stay somewhere lively. Safety is a big concern for us as well for the obvious reasons.

We thought of moving to Macon since it seems to be central but heard that it wasnt pretty and had a lot of ghettos...I'm from Miami where you have ghettos right next to million dollar homes...but being in an unfamiliar state...I would prefer to stay away from that.

We've heard that Peachtree City and Roswell are beautiful and great for families...just wondering what the people are like. Any other areas I should consider???

We're going to be visiting a few places to see what they are like but any info you could give me would be great!...and most definetely appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 01:15 PM

44 posts, read 99,889 times
Athens Georgia, "The Classic City" is a nice diverse town. The University of Georgia is there and there are alot of activities for children. There is a small town feel to Athens. You will find many other transplants there as well. It is about an hour and fifteen minutes or so from Atlanta that is nice to visit for day trips. It's worth a visit. Every city has its pro's and cons. I would say that Clarke County schools rate low but there are some good teachers and schools in Athens. However, a neighboring town, Watkinsville, Oconee County schools rate very well. I know longer reside in Athens(unfortunately) but my family really enjoyed our time there.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 AM

44 posts, read 85,361 times
Default Jackson...

Jackson County is a good bet for you. Centrally located off 85, close to Athens and a reasonable distance from ATL. The schools are good and getting better, despite the teacher cuts and budget woes...but, this is going on all across the state. There is a growing Latino population here, the majority are Mexican. The county is diversifying more every year and people leave ATL and Gwinnett. Athens folks are moving to Jackson as well to get their kids out of Clarke County. I have never met a harder working or devoted group of teacher than I have in Jackson County.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:53 PM

145 posts, read 409,929 times
Hispanic families are plentiful and welcome in NW Georgia. Specifically, I live in Gordon county and work (and grew up in) Whitfield county. I'm sure that no matter where you go you could experience the odd, racist jerk(s), but generally speaking in either of those two areas no one is even gonna look at you twice for being Hispanic.

Also of importance to you as you'll be traveing across the state, both of these counties, while mostly rural are right off of I-75.

Good luck to you and your family! :-)

Old 05-16-2010, 12:11 AM

2,705 posts, read 5,071,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny120 View Post
We've heard that Peachtree City and Roswell are beautiful and great for families...just wondering what the people are like. Any other areas I should consider???

Check out Duluth or Suwanee. I enjoyed living in Duluth much more than in Roswell. Duluth has evolved into an international community with many different nationalities of people there. Especially if you are travelling a lot these communities are close to the 85 freeway and also to Highway 316.

Roswell traffic is horrible,there are only 3 ways to cross the Chattahoochee River to get into Roswell from Atlanta(Roswell Rd.,the 400 freeway and Holcomb Bridge Rd.) This causes huge bottlenecks and extreme traffic conditions.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:13 AM

164 posts, read 484,482 times
We were from Miami as well and also Cuban. The area we fell in love with is Dacula Ga. It is very diversed and we found many Cuban families from S FL in the area. Actually our neighbor was a teacher at Braddock Senior High. You will also be close to Mall of Georgia which is a very nice mall and there are plenty of restaurants in the area. We don't have children but I do know the schools in Dacula are very good. Not sure what your price range is but there is a subdivion in Dacula called (Hamilton Mills) which is beautiful. Trust me you will not have any problems in this area. Hope this is helpful

Old 05-18-2010, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,304 times
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the help...all the info will be very useful. We are leaving to GA tomorrow to look at a few cities and atleast I have some direction now!

Thanks to ALL!!!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:55 AM

375 posts, read 1,251,535 times
Macon, Lawrenceville-Dacula it doesn't really matter where you are. It's how you conduct your business and how you live your life. I had Nicaraguan's on one side and Serbian's on the other, Mexican's and Honduran's down the block. They all took care of their families and their business with pride and decorum. I would advise staying away from towns under 2000 pop as they aren't as hispanic friendly as are larger. The more diversity the better it is for everyone.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:35 PM

14 posts, read 49,663 times
Go to www.aboutpeachtreecity.com and ask for a free DVD on Peachtree City, it will help you alot it did me when I was trying to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia