U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:22 PM

201 posts, read 1,027,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
It's funny that you would mention Martingale. That's one of my favorite subdivisions that I see on the computer and was looking at it today. Thanks -- I knew that looked like a great place. Is that sub near a shopping area?
I will look at the others also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 08:53 AM

138 posts, read 567,727 times
Quote:
It's funny that you would mention Martingale. That's one of my favorite subdivisions that I see on the computer and was looking at it today. Thanks -- I knew that looked like a great place. Is that sub near a shopping area?
I'm not sure if it's near a shopping center Janette. This site may help you out that I just found:

The Conyers Georgia Web Portal

I just ran a search for houses in your price range with finished basements and it brought up houses that sounded like they fit your criteria in those communities.

Is your primary reason for wanting a basement Tornadoes? I've seen quite a few of your other posts about tornadoes. If so is a finished basement a necessity? Or just a basement period?

Old 06-15-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemartini View Post
I'm not sure if it's near a shopping center Janette. This site may help you out that I just found:

The Conyers Georgia Web Portal

I just ran a search for houses in your price range with finished basements and it brought up houses that sounded like they fit your criteria in those communities.

Is your primary reason for wanting a basement Tornadoes? I've seen quite a few of your other posts about tornadoes. If so is a finished basement a necessity? Or just a basement period?
I can't thank you enough for sending that Conyers Web Portal! Very helpful! If the basement is decent, well insulated and doesn't have a mold problem, that would be wonderful! I like the idea that my husband likes to have a place to have his "organized junk" (couch, bed, televisions, "beverages", books, CD players, etc) where he can call his "spot". I love that because it keeps the rest of the house "woman tidy" and gives him privacy when my sisters come to visit where he can retreat from the "sister talk" and other company when he does not necessarily want to be bothered or has his golf buddies over to drink beer, etc. "I love that!" Gives me privacy as well when I have company. We also have a den that he likes to go in to watch the big screen when he wants to.
He is more concerned about the tornado than I am.

The daylight entrance we saw in Covington was great! Then you can put the "organized junk" in different rooms and it would be a great living quarter and great storage space in one ofthe rooms. I love the idea of big walk-in closet and then I could make one of those rooms mine. Our home was built in 2003 and paid for. Don't want to get into too much debt with "finishing basement" costs if we can help it. Most of the homes I see in the Georgia area are the older ones with the basements. Don't want to go from fairly new to old and we are on a golf course. Our home has been on the market twice -- last year and back on this year (April) at a $15,000 reduction. Buyer's market, as you know. We will be visiting the Conyers area again in July and just want the "heads up" as to where we can find what we want. We both are retired, so time is no problem. YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP AND ANYTHING YOU CAN SEND OUR WAY (WEBSITES) WILL BE HELPFUL.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I can't thank you enough for sending that Conyers Web Portal! Very helpful! If the basement is decent, well insulated and doesn't have a mold problem, that would be wonderful! I like the idea that my husband likes to have a place to have his "organized junk" (couch, bed, televisions, "beverages", books, CD players, etc) where he can call his "spot". I love that because it keeps the rest of the house "woman tidy" and gives him privacy when my sisters come to visit where he can retreat from the "sister talk" and other company when he does not necessarily want to be bothered or has his golf buddies over to drink beer, etc. "I love that!" Gives me privacy as well when I have company. We also have a den that he likes to go in to watch the big screen when he wants to.
He is more concerned about the tornado than I am.

The daylight entrance we saw in Covington was great! Then you can put the "organized junk" in different rooms and it would be a great living quarter and great storage space in one ofthe rooms. I love the idea of big walk-in closet and then I could make one of those rooms mine. Our home was built in 2003 and paid for. Don't want to get into too much debt with "finishing basement" costs if we can help it. Most of the homes I see in the Georgia area are the older ones with the basements. Don't want to go from fairly new to old and we are on a golf course. Our home has been on the market twice -- last year and back on this year (April) at a $15,000 reduction. Buyer's market, as you know. We will be visiting the Conyers area again in July and just want the "heads up" as to where we can find what we want. We both are retired, so time is no problem. YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP AND ANYTHING YOU CAN SEND OUR WAY (WEBSITES) WILL BE HELPFUL.
No problem at all. I totally agree about the basement getaway for the husband. I'm the same exact way. We are looking for a finished basement where I can put a movie theater/sports room/bar for the guys to hang out in.

So your house is still on the market then? I know it's tough to sell pretty much everywhere. There are over 109,000 houses on the market here in the metro/Atlanta area and it keeps going up. It's a buyers market for sure but we are also better off than a lot of other areas of the country that have had real bubble bursts. Our values never skyrocket like those of Arizona, Florida, places in California and some Northeastern states. Georgia is pretty steady.

Like I said before there are houses that will fit your needs in your price range (although I'm not sure if they will being on a golf course in that area), you just have to look.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 06-15-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
No problem at all. I totally agree about the basement getaway for the husband. I'm the same exact way. We are looking for a finished basement where I can put a movie theater/sports room/bar for the guys to hang out in.

So your house is still on the market then? I know it's tough to sell pretty much everywhere. There are over 109,000 houses on the market here in the metro/Atlanta area and it keeps going up. It's a buyers market for sure but we are also better off than a lot of other areas of the country that have had real bubble bursts. Our values never skyrocket like those of Arizona, Florida, places in California and some Northeastern states. Georgia is pretty steady.

Like I said before there are houses that will fit your needs in your price range (although I'm not sure if they will being on a golf course in that area), you just have to look.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Bill
Media/theatre rooms are great with those big leather chairs,etc. I see where there is a custom-made home by a contractor for sell here in Michigan with that type of room, swimming pool, etc. He's asking around $435,000 for it (good luck to him). He can probably afford to take big loss if he has to in order to sell. We don't want to give our home away; but if things don't change, we may have to go even lower with the price. I am sure you are aware of some of the things people offer in order to sell their homes (college tuition, Jaguars, gift certificates for furniture stores, etc.) I saw on a special on real estate, and it was said that is not the best way to go. You can take that money and invest it in your new home. Oh well, everyone's situation is different financially and circumstancial. We love our home here, but want to go to a warmer climate. We are always joking about wanting to hook our home here to a U-Hault and take it to Georgia. I am always looking at the homes near the Honey Creek Golf Course in Conyers for sell, but that is "old money" around there and older homes. We like the peace of living on the golf course, but that's not important.

Off the cuff, tell me how I can change my user name. I love the unique names that people have. I want to change mine to "Georgia Snowbird".

Thanks for your southern hospitality!

Old 06-16-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Media/theatre rooms are great with those big leather chairs,etc. I see where there is a custom-made home by a contractor for sell here in Michigan with that type of room, swimming pool, etc. He's asking around $435,000 for it (good luck to him). He can probably afford to take big loss if he has to in order to sell. We don't want to give our home away; but if things don't change, we may have to go even lower with the price. I am sure you are aware of some of the things people offer in order to sell their homes (college tuition, Jaguars, gift certificates for furniture stores, etc.) I saw on a special on real estate, and it was said that is not the best way to go. You can take that money and invest it in your new home. Oh well, everyone's situation is different financially and circumstancial. We love our home here, but want to go to a warmer climate. We are always joking about wanting to hook our home here to a U-Hault and take it to Georgia. I am always looking at the homes near the Honey Creek Golf Course in Conyers for sell, but that is "old money" around there and older homes. We like the peace of living on the golf course, but that's not important.

Off the cuff, tell me how I can change my user name. I love the unique names that people have. I want to change mine to "Georgia Snowbird".

Thanks for your southern hospitality!
Jaguars huh? Wow. Haven't heard that one before. I know people sometime get cars thrown into deals though. The market sounds pretty rough up there.

Down here I think it's just getting the house marketed and advertised well. There is a guy down the street from me who tried to sell his house for sale by owner for about 3 to 4 months and couldn't do it, so he switched to a discount broker and it sat there for another three months and didn't sell. He tried again after that to sell it for sale by owner for a few more months and it sat there. Then he finally went with an agent and it sold in two weeks.

It's funny you mentioned the u-haul thing. My wife and I have joked that wished we could take our house, yard, pool, and everything over to the new county we want to live in to be closer to our families.

What do you mean by "old money?" Is it the houses you don't like in that area or prices?

Old 06-16-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Jaguars huh? Wow. Haven't heard that one before. I know people sometime get cars thrown into deals though. The market sounds pretty rough up there.

Down here I think it's just getting the house marketed and advertised well. There is a guy down the street from me who tried to sell his house for sale by owner for about 3 to 4 months and couldn't do it, so he switched to a discount broker and it sat there for another three months and didn't sell. He tried again after that to sell it for sale by owner for a few more months and it sat there. Then he finally went with an agent and it sold in two weeks.

It's funny you mentioned the u-haul thing. My wife and I have joked that wished we could take our house, yard, pool, and everything over to the new county we want to live in to be closer to our families.

What do you mean by "old money?" Is it the houses you don't like in that area or prices?
I was laughing about you and your wife thinking about pulling up the whole thing and moving. When I finished writing to you last night, I was laughing to myself thinking "if we pulled the house up, the basement would still be sitting in the ground and then we would be at square one -- paying someone for excavation costs to dig a new basement and then pay to have it finished." I was telling my husband maybe we should go to the "sale by owner" route, but I think it's more than a notion. Have to do more investigating on that. We have good computer exposure and the realtor said that he thinks it's a waste of time putting it in the "real estate books" in Krogers, etc. He would have to pay for it and said it doesn't work that well for his co-workers on his "realtor team". I always see signs that say "will buy houses even ugly ones". Jury still out on that -- can't trust it (but laugh to myself when I see it thinking hmmmm). The realtor said the "open house" situation can be rough also. He said he works for a new sub in the northern part of Michigan, and he might get 1 person/couple coming through each week. He also said that sometimes the neighbors may come in just to see what your homes looks like inside or for decoration ideas. Since you really don't know everyone that lives in your neighborhood, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference of who is who -- could be a waste of time. The "old money" term is when you know a home was once the "bomb" in it's day and was built in the early 60's, 70's (maybe earlier) by people who were "well-to-do" that are now elderly/estate property and could have some problems. I know there are inspectors; but an old car can look great and well-cared for until you start driving it. Trust me, the way the economy is here in Michigan, the Jaguar situation was not here. It was in the Maryland area. I hope I am not taking up too much room in the forum. Tell me how to change my "user name". As I said, I like the cute names people use.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:17 PM

276 posts, read 1,045,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Many people have turned their basements into "mini-suites", with full bathroom, kitchen, living room and even a couple of regular sized bedrooms. Makes a great media room too. Perfect for elder family members who want some independance but also need to be near someone to help care for them. Also good for the kid who moves back home or can't seem to leave home. I have several relatives in the Atlanta area that have basements like these.

I'm envious - I really wish I had a basement. But, in Florida, being about 8' up from the water table, a basement is just another name for a swimming pool.
Well said....I would kill to have found a place here in Fl with a basement. I am happy now that I am looking to GA that I might actually have a basement which I would love for 1. Storage*imagine that* 2. My son who always seems to want to come back home after leaving because there were to many rules and not enough freedom(he is 18) and so I can have my youngest when she is a bit older be able to have a bit of space of her own when we finish it , of course my husband will have to build a fortress wall first so she doesnt sneak out at night (LOL)....Have a good night...Happy Father's Day to all who are,.....Lisa

Old 06-17-2007, 05:47 PM

58 posts, read 209,952 times
Are there many homes in Conyers with basements?

Old 06-17-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowgirl View Post
Are there many homes in Conyers with basements?
There are quite a few. But some are old. Our house is fairly new (2002), and I don't want to give up the fairly new for fairly old. There was a time when we were not so choicey until we moved in a new home and subdivision. Now we are spoiled. We can't go anywhere right now until we sell the home.I look constantly and write down the MLS numbers of homes of my choice and the subdivisions. We will be visiting in July and I will be checking them out, especially the subdivisions. Just want to know where we want to "land" whenever it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or