U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:42 PM

27 posts, read 119,785 times

Advertisements

Get a de-humidifier and run it all the time.
I think all basements in GA have some moisture and eventually a musty smell but running dehumidifier usually prevents it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 PM

201 posts, read 1,027,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppeal View Post
Get a de-humidifier and run it all the time.
I think all basements in GA have some moisture and eventually a musty smell but running dehumidifier usually prevents it.
Why do you think that is? Is it the clay, sandy or any other type of dirt in the ground where the basement is located? How does running a de-humidifier affect your electric bill if it is run all the time?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
I had the same questions and concerns when researching our move to Georgia. In regards to tornado activity a post lead me to this really great web site Tornado History Project - Tornado Map. We decided that a basement was a must have for us. We found that most new subdivisions would build a home on a basement (if they had a "basement lot") for about $30,000 more. One thing that we didn't really care for but have come to accept is that a "basement lot" is usually sloping as the builders in Georgia build daylight basements or what we call walk-out basements and you need that type of topography for such as basement. In Georgia it is almost impossible to find a basement with four concrete walls under ground, not unheard of but not easily found. We were hoping for a large level yard but didn't consider this a major sacrifice.

A nice advantage to a daylight basement is that they can be finished for future added space. It seems that a lot of builders in GA frame the basements and stub them for a future bath. We weren't used to this and found it to be an incredible bonus!
Just read your QUOTE about the basements in Ga. We too were told it would be an extra $30,000 for a basement in a new subdivision when building a new home. Thanks for the information about Tornada History and Map. We are definitely considering the walk-out basement in a "previously-owned" home. That type of basement seems more feasible, and most of them have extra rooms. That's a definite "plus/bonus"! We'll be there next week to look at the Lawrenceville area. Can't wait!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:58 PM

138 posts, read 567,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
Just read your QUOTE about the basements in Ga. We too were told it would be an extra $30,000 for a basement in a new subdivision when building a new home. Thanks for the information about Tornada History and Map. We are definitely considering the walk-out basement in a "previously-owned" home. That type of basement seems more feasible, and most of them have extra rooms. That's a definite "plus/bonus"! We'll be there next week to look at the Lawrenceville area. Can't wait!!!
I just got back from showing properties in Lawrenceville

Man it was a long day...

Old 07-17-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemartini View Post
I just got back from showing properties in Lawrenceville

Man it was a long day...
Any good prospects for your clients and was it a good experience? Was your day being long mean that it was a lot to look at in that area? From the smiling face, I believe it was good! Lawrenceville, from the things I read on this forum and looking at the homes. What do you think about Lawrenceville?

Old 07-17-2007, 09:19 PM

138 posts, read 567,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
Any good prospects for your clients and was it a good experience? Was your day being long mean that it was a lot to look at in that area? From the smiling face, I believe it was good! Lawrenceville, from the things I read on this forum and looking at the homes. What do you think about Lawrenceville?
No the long day was because I started showing properties to one client in Smyrna and was down there all day, then came home and showed properties at night to another client in Lawrenceville.

Yeah I love Lawrenceville. Technically I live in Buford but I'm on the Lawrenceville side of I-85. It's great up here.

I can't remember Janette, are you guys doing new construction or resales?

Old 07-18-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemartini View Post
No the long day was because I started showing properties to one client in Smyrna and was down there all day, then came home and showed properties at night to another client in Lawrenceville.

Yeah I love Lawrenceville. Technically I live in Buford but I'm on the Lawrenceville side of I-85. It's great up here.

I can't remember Janette, are you guys doing new construction or resales?
Resales. We did new construction here in Michigan ($219,000 for everything we wanted). When we were in Covington, we looked at new construction. That's when we learned it would be $30,000 for an unfinished basement in addition to the home itself. When we come down, we will be checking Lawrenceville and Grayson out. Since we haven't sold our home yet, we are strictly looking at areas this time. We were in a contingency with a couple in Covington last summer, but backed out of the deal. Didn't want to hold those people up. They had already been in one with a guy in Las Vegas for a year; but they didn't hear anything from him. Don't want to make any Georgia commitments this time. Do you find that it's a buyer's or seller's market in Georgia? -- just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or