Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:34 PM

201 posts, read 1,122,337 times

Advertisements

Please tell me the disadvatages of having a basement in Georgia. Would like to move into a fairly new home (no more than 3 or 4 years old). I want to know about moisture problems, flooding problems. Must have a basement that is finished. Want to know about tornados in Georgia. Want to move from Michigan to the Conyers area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 06:31 AM

539 posts, read 2,102,136 times
I had the same questions and concerns when researching our move to Georgia. In regards to tornado activity a post lead me to this really great web site Tornado History Project - Tornado Map. We decided that a basement was a must have for us. We found that most new subdivisions would build a home on a basement (if they had a "basement lot") for about $30,000 more. One thing that we didn't really care for but have come to accept is that a "basement lot" is usually sloping as the builders in Georgia build daylight basements or what we call walk-out basements and you need that type of topography for such as basement. In Georgia it is almost impossible to find a basement with four concrete walls under ground, not unheard of but not easily found. We were hoping for a large level yard but didn't consider this a major sacrifice.

A nice advantage to a daylight basement is that they can be finished for future added space. It seems that a lot of builders in GA frame the basements and stub them for a future bath. We weren't used to this and found it to be an incredible bonus!

Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Many people have turned their basements into "mini-suites", with full bathroom, kitchen, living room and even a couple of regular sized bedrooms. Makes a great media room too. Perfect for elder family members who want some independance but also need to be near someone to help care for them. Also good for the kid who moves back home or can't seem to leave home. I have several relatives in the Atlanta area that have basements like these.

I'm envious - I really wish I had a basement. But, in Florida, being about 8' up from the water table, a basement is just another name for a swimming pool.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Many people have turned their basements into "mini-suites", with full bathroom, kitchen, living room and even a couple of regular sized bedrooms. Makes a great media room too. Perfect for elder family members who want some independance but also need to be near someone to help care for them. Also good for the kid who moves back home or can't seem to leave home. I have several relatives in the Atlanta area that have basements like these.

I'm envious - I really wish I had a basement. But, in Florida, being about 8' up from the water table, a basement is just another name for a swimming pool.
I like your idea. I see "basement finishing" companies are popular in the Georgia area. For financial purposes, wish we could find the rooms already these. I can relate about elderly family members. I am WVa and my mother and dad were there (travelled up and down the road from Michigan all the time). Mother passed at the page of 91. I got my father to come up from WVa after her passing. He sold his house, moved to Michigan and helped us buy the one we are in for the roominess to accommodate him. Glad we did and then he died at the age of 93 in 2004, but he got to enjoy the home for 2 and a half years. Thanks for your sensitivity to others and elders.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:29 PM

138 posts, read 622,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
I like your idea. I see "basement finishing" companies are popular in the Georgia area. For financial purposes, wish we could find the rooms already these. I can relate about elderly family members. I am WVa and my mother and dad were there (travelled up and down the road from Michigan all the time). Mother passed at the page of 91. I got my father to come up from WVa after her passing. He sold his house, moved to Michigan and helped us buy the one we are in for the roominess to accommodate him. Glad we did and then he died at the age of 93 in 2004, but he got to enjoy the home for 2 and a half years. Thanks for your sensitivity to others and elders.

There are plenty of houses with basements already finished, depending on the area and community you are looking in.

My wife, kids, and I are looking to move from Buford out to Cherokee to be closer to family. At first I started looking at new construction but have recently shifted my searches to resales with finished basements. We find quite a few in our price range and in nice communities as well.

We finished the basement in our current house and I'm not sure we could live without one now. My wife works from home and her office is there sheltered away from the kids

Last edited by Billdemartini; 06-14-2007 at 01:38 PM..

Old 06-14-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemartini View Post
There are plenty of houses with basements already finished, depending on the area and community you are looking in.

My wife, kids, and I are looking to move from Buford out to Cherokee to be closer to family. At first I started looking at new construction but have recently shifted my searches to resales with finished basements. We find quite a few in our price range and in nice communities as well.

We finished the basement in our current house and I'm not sure we could live without one now. My wife works from home and her office is there sheltered away from the kids
We are moving to the Conyers area. Want something fairly new (daylight entrance). What do you think our chances are with a finished basement there? I have been looking on the computer (Atlanta MLS) and Harmony (I think that's the name) for homes between $200,000-$250,000.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
I had the same questions and concerns when researching our move to Georgia. In regards to tornado activity a post lead me to this really great web site Tornado History Project - Tornado Map. We decided that a basement was a must have for us. We found that most new subdivisions would build a home on a basement (if they had a "basement lot") for about $30,000 more. One thing that we didn't really care for but have come to accept is that a "basement lot" is usually sloping as the builders in Georgia build daylight basements or what we call walk-out basements and you need that type of topography for such as basement. In Georgia it is almost impossible to find a basement with four concrete walls under ground, not unheard of but not easily found. We were hoping for a large level yard but didn't consider this a major sacrifice.

A nice advantage to a daylight basement is that they can be finished for future added space. It seems that a lot of builders in GA frame the basements and stub them for a future bath. We weren't used to this and found it to be an incredible bonus!
Thank you for the heads up on the "Tornada" website. I will check it out thoroughly. Your input on the daylight basements (walk-out basements).

Old 06-14-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Tornados

If the city (any in Georgia) was warned that there is a tornado coming, if you live in a home (even split foyer) and you have no basement, where would you go for safety?

Old 06-14-2007, 04:44 PM

138 posts, read 622,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
We are moving to the Conyers area. Want something fairly new (daylight entrance). What do you think our chances are with a finished basement there? I have been looking on the computer (Atlanta MLS) and Harmony (I think that's the name) for homes between $200,000-$250,000.
I guess it depends on what you mean by fairly new? Have you looked in Martingale, Westchester Lakes, or Deer Forest? (Mid 90's-2000)

Old 06-14-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemartini View Post
I guess it depends on what you mean by fairly new? Have you looked in Martingale, Westchester Lakes, or Deer Forest? (Mid 90's-2000)
It's funny that you would mention Martingale. That's one of my favorite subdivisions that I see on the computer and was looking at it today. Thanks -- I knew that looked like a great place. Is that sub near a shopping area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia