U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2007, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
196 posts, read 673,472 times
Reputation: 102

Advertisements

Daylight basement is one that you can see the outside. Windows / doors would indicate daylight basement. A basement is a huge selling factor because it is a great place to expand or simply have storage. The type of house where you are forced at the front door to go up or down is not always an easy sell so watch that as far as your resell goes.

Last edited by moving123; 06-16-2007 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: mispelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2007, 01:05 PM
 
201 posts, read 1,027,233 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123 View Post
Daylight basement is one that you can see the outside. Windows / doors would indicate daylight basement. A basement is a huge selling factor because it is a great place to expand or simply have storage. The type of house where you are forced at the front door to go up or down is not always an easy sell so watch that as far as your resell goes.
Thanks. That resale value is a very important factor. Now that I know the difference in the, I do want the daylight basement instead of the split-foyer. I am going to keep this in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2007, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Monroe,Ga.
183 posts, read 936,817 times
Reputation: 98
Have You thought about the Monroe/Loganville area? We have a ranch on a full daylight basement.Our teenage son loves his space( the basement has a bathroom, 2 bedrooms a kitchen and a family room. Our yard is almost 2 acres and the lot was flat enough to put in a pool. We house hunted for a long time...but we found what we were looking for! Good luck to you! You can pm me if I can help you in any way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2007, 06:27 PM
 
201 posts, read 1,027,233 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmom View Post
Have You thought about the Monroe/Loganville area? We have a ranch on a full daylight basement.Our teenage son loves his space( the basement has a bathroom, 2 bedrooms a kitchen and a family room. Our yard is almost 2 acres and the lot was flat enough to put in a pool. We house hunted for a long time...but we found what we were looking for! Good luck to you! You can pm me if I can help you in any way!
Never heard of either area. Will have to check them out. What you have is what we want! That is the basement that my husband wants for himself and I want it for him. Sounds wonderful! How far is that from Tucker or Conyers? Do you have a riding mower? Do you have a garden? A pool also??? Sounds like a wonderful place. How far are you from a shopping area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Monroe,Ga.
183 posts, read 936,817 times
Reputation: 98
From Tucker it is 15 miles and from Conyers 15 miles.We do have a riding mower. I used to have a garden, but since we put in the pool, I just plant myself by the pool! Shopping is 5 miles away on hwy 78. They are building a
kroger shopping plaza on the corner of 78/81. There is a Publix, Walmart, Ingles, etc if you go 2 extra miles. As I have said before, we love it here. Also you don't have emissions in Walton county and the schools to look at would be Walnut Grove Elem., Youth middle, Loganville high. We live between hwy 138 and hwy 78. Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 06:44 PM
 
201 posts, read 1,027,233 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmom View Post
From Tucker it is 15 miles and from Conyers 15 miles.We do have a riding mower. I used to have a garden, but since we put in the pool, I just plant myself by the pool! Shopping is 5 miles away on hwy 78. They are building a
kroger shopping plaza on the corner of 78/81. There is a Publix, Walmart, Ingles, etc if you go 2 extra miles. As I have said before, we love it here. Also you don't have emissions in Walton county and the schools to look at would be Walnut Grove Elem., Youth middle, Loganville high. We live between hwy 138 and hwy 78. Good luck to you!
Sounds like you are in heaven in a swiming pool!!! That is the ideal spot! I am going to look in that area on the computer. Right now, all we can do is "dream" until our house is sold in Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2007, 08:57 PM
 
Location: I live in Dekalb county in the Dunwoody area just outside of 285
18 posts, read 72,357 times
Reputation: 13
i second this post about no to the split foyer. bad resale. what you may want to consider is looking for an older neighborhood where the homes have begun to turn with renovation. this will allow you to get in before they are all redone and still make money plus some of the type neighborhoods have mixed designs. when i first moved here and visited my brother in the east cobb area, his neighborhood seemed like one colonial or traditional 2 story after the other and i did not like this. Would you consider older? i mean 20-30 years older. just becasue it's new doesn't mean it's better. because of costs of building, you will tend to get features like brick exterior and hardwood floors more affordably in older than in new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2007, 01:52 AM
 
201 posts, read 1,027,233 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
i second this post about no to the split foyer. bad resale. what you may want to consider is looking for an older neighborhood where the homes have begun to turn with renovation. this will allow you to get in before they are all redone and still make money plus some of the type neighborhoods have mixed designs. when i first moved here and visited my brother in the east cobb area, his neighborhood seemed like one colonial or traditional 2 story after the other and i did not like this. Would you consider older? i mean 20-30 years older. just becasue it's new doesn't mean it's better. because of costs of building, you will tend to get features like brick exterior and hardwood floors more affordably in older than in new.
I do find that the older neighborhoods do have the basements. We were'nt considering building. We have experienced just what you are talking about as far as flaws in newly built home. How can you tell or know where the homes are being renovated? The reason I am going for newer is because the home we are in (Michigan) is only 4 years old and don't want to go too old. The area we are looking toward is Conyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2007, 02:27 PM
 
18 posts, read 81,305 times
Reputation: 28
I think you now understand what a split-foyer and daylight basement home is, but just in case...
We have split-foyer and daylight basement house (rental property). It is on a level ground. The entrance into the house from the garage goes directly into the "basement" then you go upstairs to the main part of the house. From the front door (which you must walk 'up' to via the front porch - steps) you have two choices-from the 'foyer' you can either go down the stairs to the basement or up the stairs to the main part of the house. When you are down in the basement, the windows open up to the outside, but the room you are in is "half" in the ground, half above ground. I've also heard these type of basements called "partial" basements (which makes more sense to me LOL)

Pros: Extra space (of course), depending on the set-up you can have a half or full bath down there, and even a "in-law" suite (kitchenette, etc.). It is also very, very cool in the summer!

Cons: Stairs-really take a beating since they are right there and you must use them (wear and tear really evident from front door!). Resale has been okay-depending on if the basement is finished, etc. And it is very, very cold in the winter, too.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2007, 04:15 AM
 
201 posts, read 1,027,233 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownshoe View Post
I think you now understand what a split-foyer and daylight basement home is, but just in case...
We have split-foyer and daylight basement house (rental property). It is on a level ground. The entrance into the house from the garage goes directly into the "basement" then you go upstairs to the main part of the house. From the front door (which you must walk 'up' to via the front porch - steps) you have two choices-from the 'foyer' you can either go down the stairs to the basement or up the stairs to the main part of the house. When you are down in the basement, the windows open up to the outside, but the room you are in is "half" in the ground, half above ground. I've also heard these type of basements called "partial" basements (which makes more sense to me LOL)

Pros: Extra space (of course), depending on the set-up you can have a half or full bath down there, and even a "in-law" suite (kitchenette, etc.). It is also very, very cool in the summer!

Cons: Stairs-really take a beating since they are right there and you must use them (wear and tear really evident from front door!). Resale has been okay-depending on if the basement is finished, etc. And it is very, very cold in the winter, too.

Good luck!
That was a different take and I get the picture clearly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top