Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 04:20 AM

201 posts, read 1,122,692 times

Advertisements

Want to move to the Georgia area from Michigan, preferably Conyers. The comments that I read about basements in Georgia on the Georgia forum was quite helpful. Now we are looking towards the split foyer (no more than 3 or 4 years old) which sounds more feasible than the traditional basement. When we visited Georgia, we saw that too many split-foyers in subdivision that all look alike. We like the concept of the rooms downstairs and outside entrance, but I would like find an area (looked in Powder Springs -- like the new split foyers, but did not like Powder Springs) that has this home with more of a variety of exteriors. Someone give me some feedback and comments on how they like the split foyer (above-ground ranch is what they call them here in Michigan) and the disadvantages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 05:15 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
If your asking about the split foyer model. Up or down as you enter, I would not recommend. Split foyer homes are not a popular model when it comes to re-sale as the overall popularity is no longer the current trend.

In regard to basements, would say the majority of basements you will find in the Atlanta area are slope lot, walk out basements. When I was looking for homes I found that many of the enclosed basements has the mildew smell, dampness, and even in some new models mold was forming.

With the weather extremes in GA, being the overall rainfall in normal years add the heat, the constant humidity, and damp holding clay soil can be pointed to as the culprit.

My opinion, no to split foyer and if a basement look to the walkout daylight basement

Old 06-14-2007, 07:25 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
We don't have a lot of split-foyer homes in Atlanta. I'm assuming split-foyer is the type of home in which you are forced to go up or down immediately upon entering the front door.

There are zillions of split-level homes, however, due to our sloping landscape. These are homes in which the front door is on a level with the kitchen, dining room, living room, and possibly a deck. The lower level (half a story below the main, front-door level) has a den, a bathroom and maybe a garage or carport (and sometimes additional rooms). The upper level (half a story above the main, front-door level) has bedrooms and bathrooms. I lived in a splt-level as a kid that even had a basement, so it was four levels.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 AM

Thank you so much for the help. Is there a difference between the daylight entrance and the split level?

Old 06-14-2007, 08:01 AM

Default above-ground or split foyers homes

I am "one-day-old" at this forum. I want to thank the "Moderator" for being so helpful about the above-ground or split foyer homes I was asking about. I want a little more description about the full daylight entrance styles. I could be getting that confused with the split foyer homes. Please explain to me how I can reply to people. I know I will be using this forum often in making our transition from Michigan to Conyers (or wherever it's close to Conyers). Thanks for all the help everyone gives me and each other. LOVE THIS FORUM!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:13 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
Thank you so much for the help. Is there a difference between the daylight entrance and the split level?
I think "daylight entrance" just means a basement with a door to the outside on ground level, but I could be wrong about that.

"Split level" is this:

http://www.nerealty.com/s500.jpg

Old 06-14-2007, 08:16 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
Please explain to me how I can reply to people.

Just hit the quote button and add your response. I recommend erasing the parts of the post that aren't directly relevant to your response, just like I've done here.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I think "daylight entrance" just means a basement with a door to the outside on ground level, but I could be wrong about that.

"Split level" is this:

http://www.nerealty.com/s500.jpg
When I think of split level I think of this: http://midwayhomesinc.com/slides-Terrace-New-Split-Level/a.jpg (broken link)

Technically what JPD has posted is a split level but I don't think it does as bad in resale as the one I posted. Just my $.02.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:35 AM

thank you very much for your help in replying. For the record, can you change the "name user" if you want to?

Old 06-14-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Just hit the quote button and add your response. I recommend erasing the parts of the post that aren't directly relevant to your response, just like I've done here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
If your asking about the split foyer model. Up or down as you enter, I would not recommend. Split foyer homes are not a popular model when it comes to re-sale as the overall popularity is no longer the current trend.

In regard to basements, would say the majority of basements you will find in the Atlanta area are slope lot, walk out basements. When I was looking for homes I found that many of the enclosed basements has the mildew smell, dampness, and even in some new models mold was forming.

With the weather extremes in GA, being the overall rainfall in normal years add the heat, the constant humidity, and damp holding clay soil can be pointed to as the culprit.

My opinion, no to split foyer and if a basement look to the walkout daylight basement
Thank you so much for you help! Could you give me some information on the daylight basement? Does it have to be on a slop, or slightly slopped or can this be on level land?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia