U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,734,055 times

Advertisements

Finally it seems GA is doing something about rail...

Ga. DOT eyes statewide rail plan | The Augusta Chronicle
The Georgia Department of Transportation board is considering making a request for federal money to plan a high-speed passenger rail line that would loop around the state.

A committee of the board recommended asking for federal grant
money on Wednesday, and the full board was considering the idea today.

Under the recommendation, the DOT would seek $4.5 million to plan a rail loop through Atlanta, Athens, Augusta, Savannah and Macon. It also would seek $7 million to plan an Atlanta-Charlotte line, $3 million for an Atlanta-Macon line, and $2 million to update the state's rail plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:31 PM

613 posts, read 898,244 times
I really hope this happens!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:56 PM

7 posts, read 9,658 times
It won't happen in my life time... I'm 63 years old!!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:45 PM

7 posts, read 12,105 times
This would actually be awesome for someone like me in Savannah who wouldn't mind potentially going to Atlanta for sporting events/concerts/and such and such.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:20 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,438,161 times
they asked for money to plan, not to build.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:49 PM

8,283 posts, read 12,200,510 times
Given the history of Georgia and how it won't even help fund MARTA in Atlanta I wouldn't be too hopeful. Georgia is so far behind in planning for HSR compared to other states I doubt there will be enough money left to even give your state seed money to even pay for studies. Just look at what my state of Florida had to due just to get the initial $1.25 billion to get the first leg going. The state had to fund a new commuter rail in central Florida (Sunrail) & fully fund the existing commuter Tri-Rail system in SE Florida.
I participate on other forums related to transportation & urban issues and many members from Georgia are upset that all the state cares about is funding roads instead mass transit. Either way it's a start and I wish Georgia well on this attempt. It would be nice to take a high speed train from Florida to either Atlanta or Savannah!

Old 05-23-2010, 12:43 PM

937 posts, read 1,536,456 times
I'm excited about it! I hope it gets off the ground!!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:43 PM

7,862 posts, read 15,280,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Given the history of Georgia and how it won't even help fund MARTA in Atlanta I wouldn't be too hopeful.
The state is in dire fiscal straights right now. School districts are laying off teachers and education funds from the state are being cut. Just where do you think the state would get money to fund MARTA? MARTA was setup by the legislature and the citizens of Dekalb and Fulton Counties to rely on a 1% local option sales tax, plus the money taken in at the fare box and from other revenue sources like advertising.

I keep hearing this nonsense about how "Georgia won't help fund MARTA" but in reality, what does that mean? How much money should the state kick in? If the state kicks in for MARTA, do they need to kick in for every other transit system in the state? If so, then how much?

Does MARTA have an obligation to be a good steward of the tax dollars it already collects? Who decides what the fare should be and what percentage is subsidized by taxpayers versus the rider?

I'm not against state funding for transit, but I get a bit annoyed at these open ended comments that imply that the citizens of GA and the Legislature are biased and deliberately trying to keep money from MARTA. Personally in my opinion, if the state had extra money to spare right now, there are more pressing places to use it.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 AM

128 posts, read 174,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The state is in dire fiscal straights right now. School districts are laying off teachers and education funds from the state are being cut. Just where do you think the state would get money to fund MARTA? MARTA was setup by the legislature and the citizens of Dekalb and Fulton Counties to rely on a 1% local option sales tax, plus the money taken in at the fare box and from other revenue sources like advertising.

I keep hearing this nonsense about how "Georgia won't help fund MARTA" but in reality, what does that mean? How much money should the state kick in? If the state kicks in for MARTA, do they need to kick in for every other transit system in the state? If so, then how much?

Does MARTA have an obligation to be a good steward of the tax dollars it already collects? Who decides what the fare should be and what percentage is subsidized by taxpayers versus the rider?

I'm not against state funding for transit, but I get a bit annoyed at these open ended comments that imply that the citizens of GA and the Legislature are biased and deliberately trying to keep money from MARTA. Personally in my opinion, if the state had extra money to spare right now, there are more pressing places to use it.
But neil we make these comments and rant on the state of GA b/c quite frankly it seems as if the state has no desire in supporting mass transit. True, the state IS in dire straits, as are most states (and nations....just look at Greece lol), but even when GA was well into the black, there were no advancements made toward not merely expanding MARTA into areas not currently serviced, but as far as maintainance, expansion into N. Fulton/NE Dekalb, making sure C-tran had a funding mechanism in place (think of the jobs lost to those riders), Commuter rails, etc.

I feel as if the GDOT itself it corrupt. The amount of money GDOT get in revenue and the amount of work put in on Metro roadways just dont add up. All that money from the fed level, taxes, and the gas tax and all GDOT can do is repave the downtown conn. every year? Cmon' son! Get real! If the metro area had a proper transit infrastructure in place (other than some mock up just for the Olympics) then there would not be the need to constantly repave that ill-designed stretch of road.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:03 AM

5,781 posts, read 4,677,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Finally it seems GA is doing something about rail...

Ga. DOT eyes statewide rail plan | The Augusta Chronicle
The Georgia Department of Transportation board is considering making a request for federal money to plan a high-speed passenger rail line that would loop around the state.

A committee of the board recommended asking for federal grant
money on Wednesday, and the full board was considering the idea today.

Under the recommendation, the DOT would seek $4.5 million to plan a rail loop through Atlanta, Athens, Augusta, Savannah and Macon. It also would seek $7 million to plan an Atlanta-Charlotte line, $3 million for an Atlanta-Macon line, and $2 million to update the state's rail plan.
'Bout damn time. GADOT needs to make this happen already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia