U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 08:31 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,275,211 times

Advertisements

Well, a basement (of any type) here in middle GA is a rarity. Homes just aren't built with them here. You would have to really build your own house in this area to include a basement, because I would say 99.9% of homes here are just built on a crawlspace or a slab. I've owned homes on both a crawlspace and a slab and never had a problem with either of them.
I think I prefer a crawlspace over a slab, but would buy another slab if I found a home I fell in love with.

I do not want a home with a basement, so no, I wouldn't purchase one probably. Now if I moved to an area where I "needed" one, that would be different. Homes vary so much from state to state, but I guess one gets used to what they've always known...

Byron is about 1.75 hours from Atlanta...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 11:43 AM

201 posts, read 1,024,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
Well, a basement (of any type) here in middle GA is a rarity. Homes just aren't built with them here. You would have to really build your own house in this area to include a basement, because I would say 99.9% of homes here are just built on a crawlspace or a slab. I've owned homes on both a crawlspace and a slab and never had a problem with either of them.
I think I prefer a crawlspace over a slab, but would buy another slab if I found a home I fell in love with.

I do not want a home with a basement, so no, I wouldn't purchase one probably. Now if I moved to an area where I "needed" one, that would be different. Homes vary so much from state to state, but I guess one gets used to what they've always known...

Byron is about 1.75 hours from Atlanta...
How far is Byron from Tucker? We have a son there? Is Byron close to shopping area? Let me know. I want to check it out on the computer.

I understand about your not wanting a basement. Sounds like you are pretty happy Wish I could feel that way about a slab or crawl space. That would solve 99.9% of my problem. Did you read my "Basements in Georgia"? Read it if/when you get a chance. That pretty much sums up why I want one -- my husband's "organized junk", calling it his "spot" and I can "visit" him for a "DOOTY CALL". Of course, he comes upstairs to den and master on main (where we sleep). If we have company, we sleep in the bed in "his spot". I have gotten so used to that being a way of life in my home, wouldn't have any other way. You are sooooo right -- people get used to what they've always known.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:37 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,907,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
How far is Byron from Tucker?
About two hours. There is a decent amount of shopping nearby in Warner Robbins or Macon but the better shopping is in Atlanta.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:09 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,275,211 times
I can understand that...I guess we were lucky when we found our house here. We are a family of four, and have 3042 square foot (heated/cooled). 4 beds, 3 baths, plus a huge bonus room, plus an office, and more closets than we've ever needed to use. Space was one thing we knew we had an abundance of. I wish I could pull my house with me closer to Atlanta, because I love it and hate to leave it...

Old 06-17-2007, 05:15 PM

276 posts, read 1,043,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
MOST tornadoes in the Atlanta metro area are usually smaller ones (F0 to F1). From time to time you do hear of stronger ones such as the "Dunwoody Tornadoes" a few years ago. They were only F2s but did a decent amount of damage - depends on how well homes were built but that area had lots of trees that went down into the homes, etc. As someone else said, we don't get those mile wide F5 monster things you see out West that travel dozens of miles before fizzling.

I don't think it's crazy to worry about tornadoes so long as it's not a paranoia rather than a normal concern. I don't have a basement but the next time I move I do plan on having one, as personally I have had two tornaoes come pretty close to my home. Still, I have a weather alert radio and also use a service where I actually get a text alert on my cell phone when weather alerts are issued for my county. Having stuff like that can be a life saver.

Here's a map showing the total number of tornadoes that have hit each county in Georgia up until 2006: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/images/tornado.gif (broken link)

Again, you can't be paranoid. Just be prepared. Have bottled water and batteries, flashlights, and a first aid kit handy, a weather radio, and a plan the family knows about what to do and where to go if a tornado warning is issued (including bringing in outdoor pets which some people amazingly seem to forget about).
thanks for your share. I have to say coming from SWFL with hurricanes, the prep is the same and common sense also. pets are a big thing to me and that is why I am looking into a home with a basement cause if this yr we get a hurricane(B4 we move)what to do with my pets is a major concern of mine. I have three dogs and a cat and I dont worry about 3 of them cause they are small and I can get them to a shelter but my older and bigger dog is my issue..she is my baby and I would do anythign for any of my pets a basement will definatly be a plus for this and many other reasons. You helped alieviate some of my concerns with tornatoes as I have never had to be overly concerned about them(they hit orlando area more than my area by far) but still it is good to be aware and informed and I do plan on getting a basement as well as all the alerts and weather radio when I move if not now ...Thanks again...Lisa PS I just checked the link you sent and three of the for counties I am looking at are in RED. The ones closer to the coast of FL which I thought would be significantly higher due to heat etc are actually much lower. They seem to cluster to areas and then be clear totally from others...Got to love mother nature....

Last edited by nibseysgirl; 06-17-2007 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: added comment

Old 06-17-2007, 05:27 PM

201 posts, read 1,024,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
I can understand that...I guess we were lucky when we found our house here. We are a family of four, and have 3042 square foot (heated/cooled). 4 beds, 3 baths, plus a huge bonus room, plus an office, and more closets than we've ever needed to use. Space was one thing we knew we had an abundance of. I wish I could pull my house with me closer to Atlanta, because I love it and hate to leave it...
I feel you -- that's the same way I feel. Wish I could bring my house from Michigan. You have a huge home! Sounds great. I am a cat lover. I was just telling my husband that cats are so independent and cleaner too. Once the dogs go through the "puppy stage", they can be very loveable.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:31 PM

58 posts, read 209,484 times
I know a lot of people look for homes with basement for this reason. Never really thought about it before until I bought home with a basement and now I can't imagine not having one.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:00 PM

Location: I live in Dekalb county in the Dunwoody area just outside of 285
18 posts, read 72,241 times
to an inner area of the house like a closet or bathroom and bathtub. I live in an older split level and there is a perfect spot for us dead center in our house. it's our laundry room that also has a closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or