Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:10 AM

4 posts, read 6,014 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

I am thinking of relocating to Statesboro through work. Could any of you out there please advise on the best schools in the area and the best sub division(s) to live in.

We are looking for somewhere that is close enough to Statesboro (5km) but not too close.

Any advice would be greatly apprieciated.

Nealtam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 06:53 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Neal, I've never lived in Statesboro, but you can do the research yourself. Contact a realtor, find a major company, they or their websites will often tell you which school district a home is in. They cannot tell you about crime or race. You can find that out by contacting the police department or looking at their records on-line. Do that after your visit. You can find information on the quality the public schools by searching Bulloch county schools. I've done this for you and hopefully, since it is not a commercial site, it will not be cut. Good luck. (and I've forgotten the correct format we're supposed to provide the url so I'm going to do my best approximation. Just do the search as I advised.
http://reportcard2005.gaosa.org/k12/...cct&ID=616:ALL

Last edited by ellie; 12-20-2006 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: adjusting url

Old 12-20-2006, 06:56 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
And the reason I'm offering to help is because I believe there is only a slim chance that anyone in Statesboro is monitoring this site.

And yes, I'm taunting them to bring them out of hiding. Come on you guys!!!

Old 12-21-2006, 03:10 AM

4 posts, read 6,014 times
Thanks for the help Ellie it is much appreciated.

It will a big move for my family and I to relocate to the USA. All the signs look positive from a personal and professional aspect. Trying to find out information about how everything works etc. is readily available on the internet but can be somewhat misleading if not read and understood correctly.

The company I work for are paying for the whole family to spend 2 weeks in Statesboro in early January to enable us to review schools, areas, houses, etc etc.

We have lots of unanswered questions that we hope to have answered during our visit.

I have 3 small questions to ask.

1, how does the buying of a property work in the USA, In the UK you can go and see any property with any estate agent (Realtor) that you choose you are not asigned to one Realtor. Is that different in the USA?

2, how does the mortgage system work? In the UK you are allowed to borrows 3-4 times your annual salary.

3, how does the school calendar work? in the UK we have "terms" in the USA i believe that you have "sermestors"? I would really like to understand when school is in and when school is out!

Sorry for all the question again but your help is very much appreciated.

Nealtam
Tamworth
England

Old 12-22-2006, 06:13 AM

10 posts, read 82,334 times
I'm a Statesboro resident.

The school districts aren't great and they aren't horrible. Most of the schools in Statesboro are similar. There isn't one to avoid and there is only 1 High School in the city.

If I had to recommend the best school district. It would be in Brooklet, GA. About 10 minutes to the east of Statesboro.

Real estate agents and mortgages are the same in the US.

School starts in August and ends in late May in Statesboro. The semester ends near the Christmas break. If you go to the county school district website, It'll have the dates. http://www.bulloch.k12.ga.us/

Universities are different, they will typically have 3 semesters a year. Aug-Dec, Jan-May, and Summer.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,831 times
If you need any help with Statesboro, let me know. Most of the schools are okay, not the best but not the worst. As for subdivisions, it depends on what price youre willing to pay. The best ones are located near our country club, and in my opinion this is the best in order:
Bomount Plantation
Whippoorwill (Not an official subdivision, but is considered one)
West Hampton
Irongate

The 1st 3 are upperclass subdivisions while Irongate is more middleclass. If you go to the tax website, http://qpublic.net/bulloch/index-search.html, you can find out more about the houses. Most people probably won't mention it to you, but there is a private school called Bulloch Academy really close to these subdivisions. I myself go to Statesboro High School, but I used to go "BA", as it is abbreviated.

If you need any help, contact me at Removed, I probably wont be on this again for a while.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 82,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasniper142 View Post
If you need any help with Statesboro, let me know. Most of the schools are okay, not the best but not the worst. As for subdivisions, it depends on what price youre willing to pay. The best ones are located near our country club, and in my opinion this is the best in order:
Bomount Plantation
Whippoorwill (Not an official subdivision, but is considered one)
West Hampton
Irongate

The 1st 3 are upperclass subdivisions while Irongate is more middleclass.
Not sure if I'd categorize the $250k homes in Irongate as middleclass.

Perhaps your thinking of Hazelwood, which is next to Irongate.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,831 times
Quote:
Not sure if I'd categorize the $250k homes in Irongate as middleclass.

Perhaps your thinking of Hazelwood, which is next to Irongate.
I said it was more middleclass, which means that it gets closer to that than the others do, and that it wasn't 100% middleclass. Like there are some homes in there that are just plain bad, then theres all of those that look the same(middle class), then theres the unique big houses (which are the upper class ones). But I wouldn't classify Irongate as upperclass, so maybe like uppermiddleclass? I dont know :\ Im starting to ramble. Back when my dad was only making like 40k a year, he could've bought one, and I'm pretty sure 40k is middleclass.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,412 times
i want to go to school at georgia southern. does anyone know how the school is?

Old 01-15-2007, 07:18 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,484 times
GA Southern is known as a big party school which a decent regional reputation. Nobody out of the south has ever heard of the school but if you plan on staying in the south people don't think that poorly of it. Most people who go there, go there to party. If you want to get an education UGA would be a better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia