U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 03:03 AM

201 posts, read 1,027,261 times

Advertisements

If Georgia announced that there would be a tornado in any city and someone does not have a basement or possibly own a split-foyer, where would that person or family go for safety (hypothetically speaking)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 06:20 AM

111 posts, read 825,674 times
Bathtub on the lowest level.....preferably in the interior of the house. Secondary choices: under a stairwell or large table in an interior room.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmartini View Post
Bathtub on the lowest level.....preferably in the interior of the house. Secondary choices: under a stairwell or large table in an interior room.
Suppose there is not a bathtub on the lowest level or no large table and home gets blown away off the slab or crawl space with staircase. It happens! I saw how homes were blown away in Joliet, Illinois, in the mid 80's and nothing was left standing.

Last edited by xxman777; 06-15-2007 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Fix Quotes

Old 06-15-2007, 09:15 AM

273 posts, read 1,659,065 times
I just don't think anybody really worries about that. Tornado damage is spotty and I'd worry more about being in a car wreck. You hear about tornados in the area, but it's a big area and tornados aren't that wide. If they do touch down, they could get your house and your next-door neighbors' might be untouched. Certainly not a reason to choose one house over another. I suppose there are people who sleep in the basement if there's a tornado watch, but it's not the norm.

Another alternative to a table or bathtub would be to pull mattress over you. Probably more practical if you wake up in the middle of the night and hear a tornado, because you may not have time to get to your basement. The main idea is just to protect your head from falling objects in case of minor damage. If it gets really bad, a table or bathtub won't save you.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 AM

273 posts, read 1,659,065 times
I just want to say... you seem to be really worried about buying a tornado-proof house. I'm not trying to make fun of you or anything. You need to feel safe in your own home.

However, it's not something you should worry a lot about. Most people here don't. If it were a major concern, they would require all houses to have in-ground basements. Sort of like they have building codes for hurricane areas. I have lived here for 25 years and have never been in a tornado.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:28 AM

138 posts, read 567,764 times
I was just about to say something similar...

I have been here almost my whole life in Marietta, Athens, Stone Mountain and Buford and I've never come close to seeing anything resembling a Tornado.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:56 AM

348 posts, read 948,101 times
I'm with the other 2 posters...You're chances are greater of a car accident injury rather than a tornado. If you are from Illinois, aren't you pretty used to tornado warnings?

Old 06-15-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
I'm with the other 2 posters...You're chances are greater of a car accident injury rather than a tornado. If you are from Illinois, aren't you pretty used to tornado warnings?
I apologize for not making my self clear (smiling), but I was visiting there. I'm loving the input and encouragement. My husband is the one concerned (laughing). On the flip side, we do want a basement or daylight entrance. If you have time, read "Basements in Georgia" from me.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
I just want to say... you seem to be really worried about buying a tornado-proof house. I'm not trying to make fun of you or anything. You need to feel safe in your own home.

However, it's not something you should worry a lot about. Most people here don't. If it were a major concern, they would require all houses to have in-ground basements. Sort of like they have building codes for hurricane areas. I have lived here for 25 years and have never been in a tornado.
Hey Twinkletoes (love that name)! I am loving this! It's my husband that is worried and not me (laughing)! Read "Basements in Georgia" from me and you will see what my take is on this.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemartini View Post
I was just about to say something similar...

I have been here almost my whole life in Marietta, Athens, Stone Mountain and Buford and I've never come close to seeing anything resembling a Tornado.
Thank for you the that encouragement. If you have time to read "Basements in Georgia", you will see who is really worried -- MY HUSBAND! (I am just sitting here enjoying the replies and smiling to myself). I am going to let him read these replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or