Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,241 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband just got a position at the same college, and we're relocating to from Florida. I'm trying to get information on the city as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 11:12 AM

57 posts, read 263,106 times
Greetings,
I live in Villa Rica and work in Carrollton, Villa Rica, and Bremen. I would say that Carrollton is a little more off of the beaten path and that you might find more diversity elsewhere. You may get the occasional look in Carrollton, but you may find that anywhere in Georgia. My wife, children, and I are all mixed race and haven't had any issues in Mirror Lake in Villa Rica, but occasionally get looks in Carrollton. Just a sign of living in the more rural South.

The public school system in Carrollton (Carrollton City Schools) is relatively well-regarded for a Georgia public school system. We live in Mirror Lake in Villa Rica and Mirror Lake Elementary is one of the 2 "good" public elementary schools in Douglas County. My oldest son is also starting the 3rd grade there and we have been relatively happy with the system thus far. The middle and high schools are a different story, however.

My commute to Carrollton is about 18 miles. The college would be an extra 4 miles or so. Not too bad.

I am happy to answer any other questions you might have...and welcome to the area!

PMMD

Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 AM

19 posts, read 62,730 times
I am a student at the University of West Georgia. I am glad to hear your husband got a job. I am sad to hear it is in Carrollton. Let me clarify one thing Carrollton is not a college town, it's a town with a college. Once you lived here a little while you will understand. This place quite frankly sucks. Compared to other rural communities in Ga., Carrollton is a total pit. My girlfriend is from Rockmart, Ga. and I am from Albany (Hell on Earth), Ga. Both are very rural areas and I have nothing against living in the "country" as some may call Carrollton. My main problem with Carrollton is that it is completely backwards. It is like a small town that wants to be a city. You get the worst of both worlds. There are a lot of major problems with traffic. Just recently a school bus driver fell asleep and a high schooler died in the accident. Traffic is terrible. It takes me 10 minutes to go just one mile to work. That's in a city with a population under 30,000. Honestly, the high schools are terrible. Great football program at the city school, but the schools suck. A lot of high school girls here end up pregnant. It is very common, despite the whole vote republican go to church atmosphere. Idk, honestly you guys should look somewhere else. Live in Douglasville or Villa Rica. I am not lying when I say that living here has made me contemplate suicide several times.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 PM

8 posts, read 18,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeters8 View Post
I am a student at the University of West Georgia. I am glad to hear your husband got a job. I am sad to hear it is in Carrollton. Let me clarify one thing Carrollton is not a college town, it's a town with a college. Once you lived here a little while you will understand. This place quite frankly sucks. Compared to other rural communities in Ga., Carrollton is a total pit. My girlfriend is from Rockmart, Ga. and I am from Albany (Hell on Earth), Ga. Both are very rural areas and I have nothing against living in the "country" as some may call Carrollton. My main problem with Carrollton is that it is completely backwards. It is like a small town that wants to be a city. You get the worst of both worlds. There are a lot of major problems with traffic. Just recently a school bus driver fell asleep and a high schooler died in the accident. Traffic is terrible. It takes me 10 minutes to go just one mile to work. That's in a city with a population under 30,000. Honestly, the high schools are terrible. Great football program at the city school, but the schools suck. A lot of high school girls here end up pregnant. It is very common, despite the whole vote republican go to church atmosphere. Idk, honestly you guys should look somewhere else. Live in Douglasville or Villa Rica. I am not lying when I say that living here has made me contemplate suicide several times.
I have got to comment on this post... it is the most accurate description of Carrollton I have ever read on here. I have lived in this county for 30 years, and could not agree more on your description. My husband however, is not from here, and hates it. I can tolerate it, I dont have many expectation. We are at least staying here long enough for me to complete my degree, then we are going to revisit the subject of our location, and moving else where. A place where people are not so grumpy. Anyone reading this.... if you don't agree. Wake up and get into your car, drive from side of Carroll county through Carrollton, then through to the other. See how many rude people, ride your bumper, cut you off, ride slow in the left lane (I call a rolling road block).

Old 11-08-2010, 12:07 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Unhappy people are unhappy everywhere.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times
Quote:
I am not lying when I say that living here has made me contemplate suicide several times.
Just possibly, you should consider moving ASAP.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:43 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Villa Rica is an upstanding area and where a lot of horse people live, with decent schools. Not sure of the particulars but I have a cousin who lives there with three kids and they love it.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
You're wrong. I was happy before I moved here. I was happy in Albany, even though it is well known statewide to be a pit. I would say it is rougher than Riverdale, College Park, or even Mechanicsville. I was happy in Peachtree City as well, although it is not hard for many people to be happy there. I became a depressed person by moving to Carrollton. I don't know what it is. I don't really think it's anyone thing. The people are incredibly rude (there are a handful of nice ones who deserve mention) and just backwards. This place is so, I don't know what it is. It's so hard to pin it down to one thing. I guess it's just everything. Every little thing here whether it's the people, the stores, the traffic, whatever, has some sort of taint to it. Some sort of inherent defect.
EVEN THE DOCTORS ARE TERRIBLE! I went to the emergency room and had to explain to the doctor how to treat me.
I know I sound like a whiny kid. I know I might come off as an elitist, but I speak the truth. It's a terrible place to live and I am someone that does not mind the country one bit.
I have to give Carrollton credit for one thing, it's awesome parks system. Really top notch. Great, beautiful parks.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie2010 View Post
I have got to comment on this post... it is the most accurate description of Carrollton I have ever read on here. I have lived in this county for 30 years, and could not agree more on your description. My husband however, is not from here, and hates it. I can tolerate it, I dont have many expectation. We are at least staying here long enough for me to complete my degree, then we are going to revisit the subject of our location, and moving else where. A place where people are not so grumpy. Anyone reading this.... if you don't agree. Wake up and get into your car, drive from side of Carroll county through Carrollton, then through to the other. See how many rude people, ride your bumper, cut you off, ride slow in the left lane (I call a rolling road block).
I am hanging on til my girlfriend and I get our degrees as well. Then we are free. I feel for you. It sucks being trapped somewhere doesn't it? It's even worse when you have people saying "well why don't you just transfer?" Like you can just pick up and go with a waive of you magic wand. Have you gotten the hateful stares when you mention to one of the towns people that you're in college or mention that you want to move and go to a good gradschool or something. You can see that they don't want you to succeed when you look in their eyes lol. Hang in there. It's good knowing I am not alone and I am not crazy.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I'm guessing you've never actually been to Carrollton, because the post above yours is spot on. I used to be a happy girl. But then I wasted the best years of my life in this dump. Carrolltonians are total Neanderthals. Have you ever seen the inside of the Walmart bathrooms around here? Feces smeared everywhere. Daily.

Yes, this is definitely a town that happens to have a college in it. Otherwise you'd never know because most of the UWG students evacuate every weekend.

Its not just us, 9 out of 10 people I know are also trying to claw their way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia