U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2010, 09:22 AM
 
10 posts, read 25,614 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

If kids cannot even go to the corner store a few blocks away by themselves, then what can they do? Might as well put them on a leash in back of the house like a dog. A lot of these parents that live in suburban sprawl, when they visit places like NY and see kids taking the subway or walking the streets by themselves, they are shocked and cannot believe it. Here it's different, what ever happen to the system of the kid walking down to the park and picking up a bat and playing baseball? These kids are completely incapacitated as independent beings in suburban conditions.

Last edited by prelatic; 05-30-2010 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2010, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Toronto, Canada
2,557 posts, read 1,338,244 times
Reputation: 5409
It is awesome to see this thread in the Atlanta forum of all places. Keep educating people about this issue. You have the right to live where you want, but what if that safe place is full of bad air? What about the soon to be 2 hour commute back and forth between Atlanta and Lawrenceville or Jonesbroro? What's the point if you can only see your kids for one hour on weekdays? What if they get diseases due to the bad air? Isn't it just as bad as the city at that point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2010, 02:00 PM
 
118 posts, read 334,819 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
I used to get to ride my back all over my hood until dark, go to the store by myself, and all that. I wouldn't let my kids do that now (my oldest is 11). Are you serious?!
You bet I'm serious!
You really want your kids to miss out on all of that?
The suburbs only have the illusion of safety.

Based on my experiences in several cities: I can stay out late and have no problem. If the amount of people walking down the street holding hands, smiling, grabbing a bite to eat, or minding their own business are any indication, I'm not the only one.

Are you basing your statements on first-hand experiences, or from the media/grapevine?

Even in the most dangerous "concrete jungles" (which is a bad term to use.. some big cities are BEAUTIFUL -- the nature and architecture), the kids are aware of the dangers, because parents educate them, and they've witnessed who to stay away from.
I haven't even had to deal with any of that and I've walked through the ghettos of New York and Philly as a scrawny white kid.

Don't be so quick to trust the good ol' boys in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Toronto, Canada
2,557 posts, read 1,338,244 times
Reputation: 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyburns View Post
You bet I'm serious!
You really want your kids to miss out on all of that?
The suburbs only have the illusion of safety.

Based on my experiences in several cities: I can stay out late and have no problem. If the amount of people walking down the street holding hands, smiling, grabbing a bite to eat, or minding their own business are any indication, I'm not the only one.

Are you basing your statements on first-hand experiences, or from the media/grapevine?

Even in the most dangerous "concrete jungles" (which is a bad term to use.. some big cities are BEAUTIFUL -- the nature and architecture), the kids are aware of the dangers, because parents educate them, and they've witnessed who to stay away from.
I haven't even had to deal with any of that and I've walked through the ghettos of New York and Philly as a scrawny white kid.

Don't be so quick to trust the good ol' boys in the suburbs.
Amen. Too much of this flight is due to media hype and misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2010, 09:40 PM
 
Location: NE Atlanta suburbs
472 posts, read 769,902 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Bingo. The proverbial nail on the head. The (and these are not my words but the title of an episode of Real Sports w/ Bryant Gumble,) Wussification of America.

And here it is, as clear as day....




These are our future leaders. The sheltered, no losers, everyone gets a trophy, helmet wearing, knee and elbow padded next generation. God help us all.

Bulldawg fan...don't mean to call you out, but "Living in a small town, 40 miles from Macon, 25 miles from Warner Robins." Kinda hypocritical to the point of this thread, but apparently, suburbia called your name, or at least, the sticks did. (Oh yeah, I grew up in Central Georgia).

I did say to a "certain point"
Funny how you left that out.

My husband's brother died from a head injury at the age of 6 riding a bicycle with no helmet. BTW, this happened in 1970. So now you don't think kids wearing helmets is a good thing?

Obviously none of you have kids. Or if you do, your kids grew up during a different time. It *is* in fact a different world now. To pretend it isn't is burying your head in the sand.

Personal experience vs. media hype:
No, I cannot walk the streets of Atlanta without some ghetto thug wanting to know if I can spare some change for a can of fix-a-flat because they're "broke down." Broke is probably true enough.

Husband's best friend was shot and killed at riding his bike to the store for a pack of gum. It is thought he came up on a drug deal, but his killer was never caught.

Think what you will, but all I see is the same 3-4 posters claiming city life is oh so wonderful and poo-poo'ing the suburbs. All I'm reading is you guys trying to relive glory days of youth and kinda pissy that things aren't the same as when you were growing up. It's clear you're not real happy about that.


I do understand things can happen anywhere, no matter where you live, but I like my odds in the suburbs a whole lot better...

just sayin'

Last edited by mcm2010; 05-30-2010 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2010, 10:17 PM
 
Location: NE Atlanta suburbs
472 posts, read 769,902 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Indeed.

Let's see, when I was a kid back in the 70's, I did things such as climbing trees, riding my bike hither and yon, got my feet wet in the creek, looking for crayfish, I played hide-and-seek for hours on end "just be back home for supper!", and that was just the summer vacation kind of stuff. In the spring and fall, I played soccer, and nope, we didn't get trophies for losing, or winning for that matter...lol. But the feeling you got when the ball kissed the net behind the goal - ahhh - that's the stuff childhood memories are made of.

In the winter, when it snowed (this was before global warming, ha ha) we'd go sledding down our street, all day long - what a blast! Sure, we got the occasional scrape and bruise, but that's what moms were for, with a hot cup of cocoa to warm the stomach once we finally came in from the cold. And when we were a bit older, there was easy money to be made shoveling snow for the old ladies - have shovel, will travel...lol.

Yeah, I'll take growing up in the 70's and early 80's anytime - you can keep your overprotective, stifling 21st century method of child-rearing, thank you very much.
What kid *didn't* do those things back then??
Time warp, it's 2010.

You've got to let it go, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 04:55 AM
 
Location: Here and there
1,808 posts, read 3,699,508 times
Reputation: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
Bulldawg fan...don't mean to call you out...
Hmm, where to start. OK, here goes... I have lived in Atlanta, Tampa, Miami, Chicago and several rural places in my life. Where I currently live has little relevance on my opinion regarding the premise of this thread.

Quote:
I did say to a "certain point"
Funny how you left that out.
If you want to shelter your children, even to a certain point, by all means do. It is your choice. But, in my opinion, you are part of the problem and not part of the solution.

Quote:
My husband's brother died from a head injury at the age of 6 riding a bicycle with no helmet. BTW, this happened in 1970. So now you don't think kids wearing helmets is a good thing?
Unfortunately, accidents happen. My father was murdered when I was two years old. My step father was killed in an automobile accident six years later. I still shoot guns and I still drive my truck. Me and a bunch of other people. Safely. Accidents still happen.

Quote:
Obviously none of you have kids. Or if you do, your kids grew up during a different time. It *is* in fact a different world now. To pretend it isn't is burying your head in the sand.
I have two beautiful daughters, 19 and 15. I am currently assisting my girlfriend in the raising of her two grand kids, ages 8 and 6. The 'different world' that you live in is only different because you say and think it is. Kids are still kids. The key to knowledge is still, and always will be, experience. Not to call you out, but you seem to be limiting the experiences of your children. Shelter away.

Quote:
Think what you will, but all I see is the same 3-4 posters claiming city life is oh so wonderful and poo-poo'ing the suburbs. All I'm reading is you guys trying to relive glory days of youth and kinda pissy that things aren't the same as when you were growing up. It's clear you're not real happy about that.
Funny, that is not what I see at all. I see several people sharing life experiences, trying to explain where things have changed, showing where things have not, and in general sharing opinions. And then I see one person who thinks the world is out to get her kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
4,444 posts, read 4,845,469 times
Reputation: 3358
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
What kid *didn't* do those things back then??
Time warp, it's 2010.

You've got to let it go, man.
Just because it's 2010 doesn't mean that kids can't still be kids. Kids need to be able get outside and run. Kids need to have hours of unsupervised playtime, even if it's just playing boardgames in the backyard play house. And kids need to learn how to handle independence as they grow older - like going to the store and buying things on their own.

And I think the suburbs can be very ideal places to raise children, if people would interact with their neighbors a bit more, perhaps do "block parties" and the like. Having front porches on the houses would be nice too. And that local neighborhood park you probably have a block or two over? It's meant to be used by the neighborhood kids, both back in 1975, and today in 2010. And I would say it's just as safe for your kids to play down there as it was back then. Crime statistics don't lie - in most cases, they've been going down over the past couple of decades in the majority of categories.

And like everything else, moderation is key. A bit of sheltering is probably a good thing. Too much of it, probably not such a good thing. Just sayin'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 08:44 AM
 
Location: NE Atlanta suburbs
472 posts, read 769,902 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Where I currently live has little relevance on my opinion regarding the premise of this thread.
BS. You responded to a thread on inner city living vs suburbs and you live in the sticks. I think it's completely relevant. Move your girlfriends' kids to a huge city and let one of them walk to the store for a pack of gum, alone. I'm sure she'd be your ex right quick. Pot, kettle? You can be both.

Quote:
But, in my opinion, you are part of the problem and not part of the solution.
You know what they say about opinions....

Quote:
trying to explain where things have changed...

Dang, you mean you're finally admitting it?

Quote:
And then I see one person who thinks the world is out to get her kids.
Oh poo. That's a desperate attempt at insult. No offense taken, I know you just can't help yourself.

Last edited by mcm2010; 05-31-2010 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 08:49 AM
 
Location: NE Atlanta suburbs
472 posts, read 769,902 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Just because it's 2010 doesn't mean that kids can't still be kids. Kids need to be able get outside and run. Kids need to have hours of unsupervised playtime, even if it's just playing boardgames in the backyard play house. And kids need to learn how to handle independence as they grow older - like going to the store and buying things on their own.

And I think the suburbs can be very ideal places to raise children, if people would interact with their neighbors a bit more, perhaps do "block parties" and the like. Having front porches on the houses would be nice too. And that local neighborhood park you probably have a block or two over? It's meant to be used by the neighborhood kids, both back in 1975, and today in 2010. And I would say it's just as safe for your kids to play down there as it was back then. Crime statistics don't lie - in most cases, they've been going down over the past couple of decades in the majority of categories.

And like everything else, moderation is key. A bit of sheltering is probably a good thing. Too much of it, probably not such a good thing. Just sayin'...
I can totally agree with everything in this post

Last edited by mcm2010; 05-31-2010 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top