U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:19 AM

7,862 posts, read 15,285,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelatic View Post
If kids cannot even go to the corner store a few blocks away by themselves, then what can they do? Might as well put them on a leash in back of the house like a dog. A lot of these parents that live in suburban sprawl, when they visit places like NY and see kids taking the subway or walking the streets by themselves, they are shocked and cannot believe it. Here it's different, what ever happen to the system of the kid walking down to the park and picking up a bat and playing baseball? These kids are completely incapacitated as independent beings in suburban conditions.
I grew up in NYC, rode the subway to high school everyday, played at the local schoolyard...and you're view of suburban life is skewed. Ever wonder why many people FROM places like NYC move to suburbs like New Jersey, Long Island, or metro Atlanta? Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
and you're view of suburban life is skewed.
Meant "your" not "you're"....was typing too fast and now can't edit.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 AM

10 posts, read 25,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
What kid *didn't* do those things back then??
Time warp, it's 2010.

You've got to let it go, man.
Your kids must not be street smart, they probably wouldn't even know how to the the subway. You have preventing them to learn skills to be independent if they can't even walk to the corner store by themselves.

The landscape around and within their own minds isn't providing them with the tools to get around in the world beyond the suburbs.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
The landscape around and within their own minds isn't providing them with the tools to get around in the world beyond the suburbs.
What are you talking about? Do you even understand your own comment?

Do you think people in the suburbs live in plastic bubbles and don't go places on weekends, vacations, etc?

Frankly, your air of self-assumed superiority is insulting. Give it a rest.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:29 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,454,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What are you talking about? Do you even understand your own comment?

Do you think people in the suburbs live in plastic bubbles and don't go places on weekends, vacations, etc?

Frankly, your air of self-assumed superiority is insulting. Give it a rest.
Now, now, Neil- you just don't understand, because you're a bubble-living suburb-dweller. You can't possibly think at the same level as this guy (who's beginning to smell like the troll we tossed last week who started his posts with the same video).

Old 05-31-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Now, now, Neil- you just don't understand, because you're a bubble-living suburb-dweller. You can't possibly think at the same level as this guy (who's beginning to smell like the troll we tossed last week who started his posts with the same video).
so you are saying that there was a person who posted the EXACT video I did? Is this what you are saying that you actually know as a fact? Or is this something you made up? From the replies, it looks like this is the 1st time they saw it. I only posted it 1 time. If they already saw this video, then that would mean that the people's reaction to this video must be fake then? Next time you post something, make sure it's true. Use your head.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 PM

472 posts, read 770,116 times
Quote:
Your kids must not be street smart, they probably wouldn't even know how to the the subway. You have preventing them to learn skills to be independent if they can't even walk to the corner store by themselves.

And why would I even care?

Regarding skills: my son is a highly decorated boy scout. If you were injured in the woods or in the middle of nowhere, he could administer life saving technique and get your butt to help faster than you'd get a signal on your cell phone.
P.S... He won't be taking you on any subways to get you there

(And you say I'm not letting my kids learn life skills...independence skills...what was it again you said??)

Last edited by mcm2010; 05-31-2010 at 08:31 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:

Regarding skills: my son is a highly decorated boy scout. If you were injured in the woods or in the middle of nowhere, he could administer life saving technique and get your butt to help faster than you'd get a signal on your cell phone.

(And you say I'm not letting my kids learn life skills...independence skills...what was it again you said??)

why would I be in the middle of the woods? I don't hang out in the woods. I don't know anyone who does. And I don't spent my time in the middle of nowhere either.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:

supervised time spent with a scout leader is not being independent

Old 06-01-2010, 04:35 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,454,241 times
Quote:
so you are saying that there was a person who posted the EXACT video I did? Is this what you are saying that you actually know as a fact? Or is this something you made up? From the replies, it looks like this is the 1st time they saw it. I only posted it 1 time. If they already saw this video, then that would mean that the people's reaction to this video must be fake then? Next time you post something, make sure it's true. Use your head.
Yes- I'm sure it was the same video, since I'm the one who deleted the thread for trolling. Keep up the attitude and you'll be next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or