Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,672 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 25 year old guy and a young professional in the healthcare field that just recently moved to Albany, GA for employment. Since I've been here I have been hoping to meet some kindred spirits around my age to become friends with but haven't had much luck at all.

I get the impression that a lot of people are perfectly content in their current social circles and don't care to add someone else to them (understandable, I guess?). I've struck up friendly conversation with plenty of people out in public but nothing has ever lead to anything.

I haven't seen much in the way of advertisements for common-interest clubs to join or anything like that.

It would be nice to just meet some people so that I could have someone to chat with, catch a movie with, have dinner with or anything really.

Does anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 07:23 PM

36 posts, read 142,562 times
i am thinking but cannot come up with many answers!! i dont know exactly what you are looking for. if you are religious you might check into some of the bigger churches like byne memorial baptist. if you are into drinking, you might try some of the fraternal organisations like the moose or elks lodge. if you go to the moose, see Fred and tell him that mike from Doerun sent you. good luck and keep us informed.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:13 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
Man this may be easier said than done....but it can be simple if you just give it a try.

1. If you're looking for guys just to hang with, when you're in casual convo you could throw in something about how you've just moved in town and wondering what's all going on around the area. I'm sure some dudes would take notice and befriend you so you can go out to clubs or bars to catch the ladies, play basketball, or whatever it is you like to do with guty friends

2. With the ladies, just strike up conversation with ones you're interested in.

3. Internet. There are lots of social networking sites. I think in the past people would look down others for "hooking up" with people on there, but I think thats fading away. I wouldnt care what people think anyway.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reclick1 View Post
removed
All I can say is this: I met my wife on the net. We've been together for 12 years. At least, I think it's 12.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 03-12-2013 at 08:56 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
South Georgia society centers, in large part, around church, Sunday school and various church-oriented activities. While you may not be a church going person, church is likely the best way to make friends and establish connections.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 AM

659 posts, read 1,146,021 times
I lived there a long time ago and I am sure not much has changed down in old Albany, Ga, I was married when I moved there but met some singles at our apt complex who I would talk to now and then and I had come to the conclusion that most were not going to stay and were not happy there, If you are from that town, your do fine, if your from the south, you might make some friends if you work at it, but really if your from the north, pack your bags cause they have not gotten over the war yet, I lived there for several years, and at that time I was a church goer, oh god they are even worse there, horrible, I attened maybe four different churchs for a year and half, just horrible...
If you are ok with the area and dont want to move, I would do two things, Join a healthclub and take some classes, it never hurts to stay in shape and your meet others who value a good healthy lifetstyle and take a fun class doing something you enjoy with others who enjoy what you like, this can be at a library at a book club or an art class or something along those lines, and your meet people who value and like what you do at the same time, go slow as well, get to really know people before asking anyone out on a date..time is your friend here Stay out of the east side and the bars and your do well!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:46 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
All I can say is this: I met my wife on the net. We've been together for 12 years. At least, I think it's 12.
Ditto. Met my wife online within 2 weeks of moving to Atlanta for the first time (I was like the OP, just looking to establish friendships, not find someone to "hook up" with). That was 11 years ago last week.

Anyway, we moved away from Atlanta and 7 years later are back in GA. This time rural and it's decidedly harder to meet anyone. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or what (I've never been one to frequent churches, bars or clubs), but it seems like people are more closed off than ever to friendly conversation.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,393 times
Default Emerge Albany - Young Professionals Group

I hope I'm not too late! I just moved to Albany with my fiance and have been searching for any type of young professionals group for us to join. He's a civil engineer and I'm an online media planner.

I told my friend how challenging it is to meet people with with similar interests here and within minutes she was able to find Emerge Albany - a young professionals group that meets at least twice a month here in Albany, GA. They're affiliated to the Chamber of Commerce and can be found with a simple FB search.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclobb2 View Post
Hello,

I am a 25 year old guy and a young professional in the healthcare field that just recently moved to Albany, GA for employment. Since I've been here I have been hoping to meet some kindred spirits around my age to become friends with but haven't had much luck at all.

I get the impression that a lot of people are perfectly content in their current social circles and don't care to add someone else to them (understandable, I guess?). I've struck up friendly conversation with plenty of people out in public but nothing has ever lead to anything.

I haven't seen much in the way of advertisements for common-interest clubs to join or anything like that.

It would be nice to just meet some people so that I could have someone to chat with, catch a movie with, have dinner with or anything really.

Does anyone have any advice?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,310 times
Default Same here

I moved to Albany with my fiance in December 2012. Been here almost 3 months and haven't really made friends. We're just looking for fun people in their late 20s, early 30s who we can go out to eat with, invite over, and watch a UFC fight with. No luck yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia