U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,632 times

Advertisements

I am teacher from NYC relocating to teach in Spaulding County. I have six sons. (8, 12, 14, 15, 18, 20) and am raising my niece (16) I really do not know much about Spaulding county but, was thinking of settling down in Dallas or Hiram. Is ther any information anyone can give me about the schools activites for the children and whats too much to pay for renting. In NYC rents are high and I do not have an idea whats considered high or low. I have about a month before I relocate. The children are all excited. I am hoping that the community has sports. Any way how are the schools?

Last edited by WORD2THEWISE; 06-16-2007 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 06:50 PM

276 posts, read 1,045,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WORD2THEWISE View Post
I am teacher from NYC relocating to teach in Spaulding County. I have six sons. (8, 12, 14, 15, 18, 20) and am raising my niece (16) I really do not know much about Spaulding county but, was thinking of settling down in Dallas or Hiram. Is ther any information anyone can give me about the schools activites for the children and whats too much to pay for renting. In NYC rents are high and I do not have an idea whats considered high or low. I have about a month before I relocate. The children are all excited. I am hoping that the community has sports. Any way how are the schools?
You can try this site and check the county out by clicking on the county. Good Luck..I do not know much about the area but I have heard good things about Dallas...I have not checked it out yet myself but it is on my list...If you find anything worth passing on to someone looking to relocate to a nice quiet town or small city please do....Have a great weekend..Lisa
GeorgiaInfo - Carl Vinson Institute of Government

Old 06-20-2007, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 7,757 times
Hi,

I too am a NYC Teacher relocating to GA. My husband, 7 yrold son are looking to move to the Cobb County area; not at all far from Paulding. We actually stayed in a hotel in paulding while searching for a home. We have choosen to rent first. Our realtors are really great with picking out neighborhoods with good schools. One thing they said about paulding was to be careful of the choosen school; because Cobb County supposedly has a better reputation for schools than Paulding County does. So choose wisely. You can download the GA report 2007 to get the achievement scores, the rating, and the poverty rates for the schools. Just go to a yahoo or google search engine and type that in.
Best of Luck for you and me!

Old 06-20-2007, 12:09 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,878,714 times
Quote:
I am teacher from NYC relocating to teach in Spaulding County. I have six sons. (8, 12, 14, 15, 18, 20) and am raising my niece (16) I really do not know much about Spaulding county but, was thinking of settling down in Dallas or Hiram.
Ok, first a correction. In your subject line you correctly call it Paulding County but then you go on in your post to call it "Spaulding" County - PAULDING is correct if you're talking about the Dallas and Hiram areas. This is to avoid confusion, as there is also a Spalding County in Georgia.

You may want to go into the internet cafe room at Paulding.com FASTREAD as it's pretty much filled with stay-at-home moms who live on the thing all day and can answer anything to do with schools, where to live if you have a thousand kids, etc. It's the only local resource in that area that's very active to my knowledge and while it can be hokey at times (they get excited over free taco day at the local restaurant), it will get you in touch with people who live in that area specifically.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:06 PM

71 posts, read 666,256 times
Smile Paulding Cty

My son and DIL live in Dallas, which is in Paulding Cty. They researched the area - especially the school systems - before buying. They felt that Paulding was far superior to the schools in Cobb. This is from talking with people who live in both counties.

Dallas and Hiram are both nice areas to live. It's the kind of place you get to know the butcher, meter readers, etc. by name, cook out with your neighbors and talk to people in line in the grocery store.

Just a note of caution - people are NOT being nosey when they ask what you do, where you live, where you go to church, how many children you have, etc. That's just the south being friendly.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton View Post
Just a note of caution - people are NOT being nosey when they ask what you do, where you live, where you go to church, how many children you have, etc. That's just the south being friendly.
Well yeah, actually, it is nosey... it's just that folks are used to it down here so natives don't see it as being nosey.

Rule of thumb though, as newcomers WILL get used to the questions in the lines... change the subject if religion or politics do get brought up, and on the rare occastion (but it happens) if someone asks you if you've "been saved"... just act like you just don't understand English. Other than that, you'll get used to having strangers start talking to you out of the blue (eventually).

Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 33,931 times
Quote:
First let me say Welcome! My husband is from the North and just loves it here in Georgia! Paulding county is a great choice from a cost perspective, as the homes are some of the most reasonably priced in the metro atlanta area (and possibly because it is still considered a bit more rural than other parts of the city) I sell many homes in this area to folks who are looking for room to spread out and because they are quite affordable in payment and taxes. The school system in both Hiram and Dallas are not as good as one of the previous posters mentioned. They are definitely safe from that standpoint, but from an academic standpoint, and sporting standpoint they aren't ranked as high as some of the Cobb County Schools. (the neighboring county)

My parents live there and love it as they can have a brand new home, and 1/2 acre yard for $110,000. Not bad comparatively speaking. From a rental standpoint the homes definitely range in price depending on size, but I can say with certainty that the rental pricing in Paulding County is very affordable compared to other counties in the area. Dallas is especially less in price due to the fact that it is further out in the county and potentially less convenient depending on where you are commuting too.

All in all, a nice place to live, it is very friendly and homey! You might want to check out GreatSchools.net (http://GreatSchools.net - broken link) for the school ratings and test score comparisions for the schools to get a better idea.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:03 PM

276 posts, read 1,045,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well yeah, actually, it is nosey... it's just that folks are used to it down here so natives don't see it as being nosey.

Rule of thumb though, as newcomers WILL get used to the questions in the lines... change the subject if religion or politics do get brought up, and on the rare occastion (but it happens) if someone asks you if you've "been saved"... just act like you just don't understand English. Other than that, you'll get used to having strangers start talking to you out of the blue (eventually).
I would love people to ask me those kinds of questions, it means they are interested in ME. I am saved so if ppl were to ask I could actually carry on a conversation that some may not have a clue about. I think the southern way of hositality is one of the major draws that I as a former northern have to moving to Georgia. I dont care if they are nosey(lol) who isnt on one level or another and I will take a piece of advise I got from a fellow northern that advised me of this way of life in GA. If they appear nosie dont be offended. It is just thier way , if they seem to pushy just be friendly but dont get to close....Sounds fair enough to me. I think we will blend in just fine even if we do talk a bit funnier than southerns do( so they say lol)
Have a great day
Lisa

Old 06-21-2007, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,228 times
Hello! My family and I are also looking to relocate to GA. We have been trying our best to research the possibility since last year. We currently have been looking into Paulding County and also Gwinnet County. We would like a larger lot and a decent sized home. But we don't want to be in an area that is too rural. We also have a ten yr old daughter entering Jr High. Can anyone tell us a little more about either of the two counties? We want a diverse community that is safe and quiet. We don't mind being about an hour away from the main city. But we also don't want to be more than 20 minutes from shopping. Also, how are the job markets? My husband is a landscape designer and I am a REALTOR/ self employed pet sitter. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. We are a mixed family. My husband is white, I am Filipino...

Old 06-21-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gvn View Post
We would like a larger lot and a decent sized home. But we don't want to be in an area that is too rural. We also have a ten yr old daughter entering Jr High. Can anyone tell us a little more about either of the two counties? We want a diverse community that is safe and quiet. We don't mind being about an hour away from the main city. But we also don't want to be more than 20 minutes from shopping. Also, how are the job markets? My husband is a landscape designer and I am a REALTOR/ self employed pet sitter. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. We are a mixed family. My husband is white, I am Filipino...
Ok, Gwinnett is definately more "diverse" than Paulding in terms of an extremely mixed group of people from all over the world living in that area. However, the schools are also much more crowded, the traffic is MUCH worse, homes cost more, and crime in some areas of Gwinnett is pretty bad (lower part). It's definately a bit more convenient to Atlanta, and if you make it to the southern tip of the county you can hop on MARTA (Atlanta's subway system) and ride it into the city from there.

Paulding is quite a bit more rural (but growing). More of a "Countryfied Martha Stewart" type of subdivision resident than Gwinnett's (you figure that one out). There is no subway line or even public transit in Paulding except for one express bus route in Hiram that goes into Atlanta. You can get a lot more house and land for your money in parts of Paulding, though (as in some cases, almost HALF the price of many Gwinnett homes), but again, you'll be further out from Atlanta. The Hiram area though, does have a ton of shopping so long as you don't mind cookie-cutter chain stores and restaurants (for the unique stuff you'll have to go into Atlanta directly for the most part).

White/Filipino won't even raise an eyebrow in either area, so that shouldn't be an issue. Landscape and real estate jobs should be relatively easy to find in either area, as those are both big occupations in the metro area.

So your choices: Gwinnett gives you more diversity, convenience, and more things to do, but also crowds and congestion. Pauding gives you less congestion, more for your money, but less convenience to the city and some might say just a bit of a "heehaw" atmosphere in some places (depends on where you are and where you come from as to how you'll see that).

Personally I live close to Paulding and think it's ok. I think in the years to come the growth out there might pose a problem, but overall it's not bad. In Paulding avoid commutes that take you on Highway 92 during rush hour. A craigslist.com search under "hiram" or "dallas" will bring up lots of home listings. In Gwinnett, avoid the Jimmy Carter Blvd area, Pleasant Hill area, and others may add to this list.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia