U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:59 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,809,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
2. We are not "all about money" and material possessions, in fact, most would find this offensive.
If this were true, there wouldn't be a Super Wal-Mart every 4.2 miles in the metro area, Prichard.

Actually, I do think that some people from other countries are justified in their observations that we are "materially addicted". I just don't think most of us admit we are. Let's face it, many of our homes in the U.S. not only have multiple cars, but multiple cell phones, DVD players and TVs in every bedroom, dishwashers, and closets full of clothes with stuff we haven't worn for years stuffed away in there, all crammed into what is now an "average size home" of about 2400 square feet (yet, Americans on average have smaller savings accounts than any other industrical country's population in the world). So yeah, I personally DO think we are obsessed with "buying" here - mostly what we don't "need", too. There are lots of words we can use to describe us Americans - most are good, a few are bad, but "minimalists" is NOT one of those words. LOL

Now, in places like Atlanta and Savannah and Birmingham, no, I don't think friends of mixed races traveling will raise any eyebrows. But keep in mind that casual observation doesn't tell people they're "friends who are just traveling together". While we would like to THINK that there are no problems down here, fact is, if you rent a car as tourists and decide to go hit some little town of 1000 residents that sits along a dirt road, and eat out in the local diner, you MIGHT indeed get those odd and maybe even nasty looks. It could happen in Georgia or Alabama and yes, even Arizona too - but it does still happen. Stick to the paved roads and actual towns and cities and don't take the Deliverance Tour by backroading it, and you'll still be fine, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 05:13 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,514,695 times
Quote:
If this were true, there wouldn't be a Super Wal-Mart every 4.2 miles in the metro area, Prichard.
If we were talking about Tiffany's (and there are pleanty of them) I might agree with you. But, WalMart is where we go to get basic cheap stuff. Nothing fancy or materialistic about WalMart.

Also, I'd agree that in some rural parts of the sough, our New Zealand friends might get some "stares", maybe someone might mumble something under his/her breath. But, that's about it. Would they be in any real danger from rural white racists? I seriously doubt it. Now, if they wonder into some of the all black areas in South Atlanta or Jackson Mississippi they might find trouble.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:09 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,000,513 times
In any area in the South (or anywhere for that matter) near a military base, you will find quite a few mixed couples. It's not a rare thing. They attend our churches, and the children attend out schools. If you look for stares, etc. you may get them. But it could be just as easily about the way you walk, dress or comb your hair as it is about your partner's skin color.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 PM

Location: I live in Dekalb county in the Dunwoody area just outside of 285
18 posts, read 72,262 times
be sure to contact me when you get here! I've been to New Zealand many years ago and loved it. My nephew (more your age) orginally from Louisiana just moved here via a short lived attempt in Sidney. Overall, I don't think you'll get a huge reaction anymore. I am caucasian and my husband is hispanic from Colombia. Honestly I never think about the fact that we are a mixed couple until i see another couple. and i'm like oh yea, i am too. There may be some small towns if passing through where you may get a strange look but it may be more the great accent than the visual!
Happy traveling!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:55 AM

26 posts, read 106,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_nz View Post
hi my friend and i are going to b travelling by road from Phoenix to Florida and will be touring part of the state. We are plutonic, non married blond caucasion male 21 and african-new zealander female 21, i am just concerned about how that would be received in GA, in fact we are quite worried due to stories and tv etc weve heard/watched. Just like some honest opinions on local attitudes to bi-racial opposite sex new zealand friends please and if we'd have a hard time or be welcomed, thanks. Andre and Jazmine
Be careful in certain areas. Many older residents still think of the old days down south. White sheets and hoods are not openly seen, however, i have been told that they are always nearby. My advice is to steer clear of any areas off of the interstate, particularily small communities where gas station/convenience store combo is the only thing in town. Had an experience myself once in S. Ga. near the Fla. line.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:11 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,197,906 times
You will always come across SOMEONE that doesn't approve of interracial relationships, but Atlanta is a very diverse area and it is very common. There happens to be a large hispanic population nowadays and a lot of mixing of whitle/black/hispanic/asian all over large cities in the US. You should be fine.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:12 AM

4 posts, read 11,048 times
NZ's:
Stay off the rural roads and definitely avoid local meat-3 and tea restaurants. It's gay pride weekend at Piedmont Park, so all the bashers will be there instead.
Malarky!!!
If you can survive getting through South Carolina, then Georgia will be a piece of cake !!!

Maori or Ozzy Aboriginals always welcome at our house.
No Worries, mate

Last edited by Mobark; 06-23-2007 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or