Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 01:18 PM

18 posts, read 34,457 times

Advertisements

hi my friend and i are going to b travelling by road from Phoenix to Florida and will be touring part of the state. We are plutonic, non married blond caucasion male 21 and african-new zealander female 21, i am just concerned about how that would be received in GA, in fact we are quite worried due to stories and tv etc weve heard/watched. Just like some honest opinions on local attitudes to bi-racial opposite sex new zealand friends please and if we'd have a hard time or be welcomed, thanks. Andre and Jazmine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 02:17 PM

111 posts, read 867,185 times
Don't believe everything you see on TV. You will be more than welcome!!! 50 years ago maybe not so much....but that would have been true in just about ANY part of the country.

What part of GA will you be going through?

Hope you have a GREAT time!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2007, 02:22 PM

BTW.....I don't want to assume that NZ is the same as Australia, but my DD traveled to Australia last summer. One of her good friends on the trip is dark skinned (would pass for African American, but I think her heritage is somewhat different...can't remember), anyhoo....her grandmother was very concerned for her as they'd heard there is a lot of prejudice against "people of color" in Australia. Is this true? I was quite surprised.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:46 PM

NZ is very alike 2 Australia apart from this!
NZ is very tolerant i never heard any racism except for people not liking the stereotypical behaviour of dark people eg our dark people (maoris etc) try acting all ghetto lol. South island small towns would be the worst for racism but even that is mimimum its just people prefer their own races to hang out with as southern maoris are much more traditional culturally so theres a social difference, even thats just preference not racism.

On the other hand I have lived in Australia (Brisbane and Melbourne) and was shocked at their racial attitudes. Very rarely mix, they dont seem to like dark peop at all but will be polite etc but i dont understand this. I remmeber an ex girlfriend of mine a very nice sweet girl spotting an asian and without being provoked started being racist quite nastily. Read on the history of the aboriginies, i dont think there has been any worse racism anywhere in the world, even now days they stick to the reserves.
all up ive lived there for a couple years and although alot have these views, alot dont and ive never seen or heard anything threatening,

Downunder New Zealand and Australia would be 2 of the best countries in the world, everyone is liberal and loves others how the want to be loved, very safe, beautiful, clean beaches, river oceans everywhere, i cant think of anything bad a visitor has ever said except its more lowkey than US and Europe hmmm

Old 06-16-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_nz View Post
South island small towns would be the worst for racism but even that is mimimum its just people prefer their own races to hang out with as southern maoris are much more traditional culturally so theres a social difference, even thats just preference not racism.
You know, your statement above really sums up modern day life in the south. "Birds of a feather flock together". It's most evident in the one social arena where integration has not been mandated by the government: the church. It is virtually unheard of for blacks and whites to go to the same church in small towns, but, more and more, you'll see voluntary integration in churches in larger towns in GA.

I'm not at all saying that racism doesn't exist. I'm just saying that it's not even close to the stereotype. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!! In fact, there is plenty of racism throughout the country. Native Americans and Mexicans (among others) are the victims in other parts of the country.

BTW, I've never heard of the Maori people. Very interesting!!!! I learned something new today.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:20 PM

lol, maoris are NZs native people, kia ora

Old 06-16-2007, 08:54 PM

136 posts, read 620,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_nz View Post
hi my friend and i are going to b travelling by road from Phoenix to Florida and will be touring part of the state. We are plutonic, non married blond caucasion male 21 and african-new zealander female 21, i am just concerned about how that would be received in GA, in fact we are quite worried due to stories and tv etc weve heard/watched. Just like some honest opinions on local attitudes to bi-racial opposite sex new zealand friends please and if we'd have a hard time or be welcomed, thanks. Andre and Jazmine

You have posted this same question on the City-Data forum sites for Arkansas, Texas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia, and I'm sure that you've upset a few people by suggesting that their beloved state is still in the dark ages of racial hatred. I notice you left out Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Florida. Why the distinction? After all, they have people in them, too. The South has its history, but its people are civilized. And I suggest if you are so worried about being ill met all the way to Florida, you should just take a plane.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 PM

136 posts, read 620,862 times
I'm just interested in fairness to the Southern States. I've been in all of them, and my concern is that those who read your post might worry that travel in them might be risky. And its not. You painted with such a broad brush with your multiple posts that responding in kind seems fair and reasonable. I don't mean to offend, but like water can be tainted with just a slight pollutant, one aspersion cast against a State might be misconstrued by those that read it as a more general distastefulness about a place. I was showing a the bigger picture, is all. You are certainly welcome to read my other posts if you want to learn more about what I represent.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:06 AM

348 posts, read 1,021,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Lesher View Post
I'm just interested in fairness to the Southern States. I've been in all of them, and my concern is that those who read your post might worry that travel in them might be risky. And its not. You painted with such a broad brush with your multiple posts that responding in kind seems fair and reasonable. I don't mean to offend, but like water can be tainted with just a slight pollutant, one aspersion cast against a State might be misconstrued by those that read it as a more general distastefulness about a place. I was showing a the bigger picture, is all. You are certainly welcome to read my other posts if you want to learn more about what I represent.

Wow, I live here and didn't take offense to the post, not sure why a Michigan resident would care?

Old 06-18-2007, 06:21 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,187,889 times
Don't worry about it! You must be watching films from the '60's. You won't have any problem at all. Now, if you were "living together" and decided to make a home for yourself in Northern Alabama, you might get a few offensive stares and hear a few remarks. But, nobody is going to care one bit about a black and a white travleing together, and if they do, I can assure you they will keep it to themselves.

I'm familiar with what New Zealanders and Australians think of America, most of which is way blown out of proportion. Here is what America is not:

1. It's not the wild west and you won't hear or see any gunfire in the streets. You won't have to dodge bullets or anything like that.

2. We are not "all about money" and material possessions, in fact, most would find this offensive.

3. Most Americans are very good natured, friendly, and will be very interested in knowing about you and New Zealand - a place that we often dream about but most probably will never be able to go to.

4. Most people that come from smaller countries cannot conceive of how large the United States is. They talk of bopping around from New York to Florida to LA as though this can be done in a week. I live in Florida and road a motorcycle out to Santa Fe New Mexico (not as far as Phoenix, I tried, but couldn't make it that far) - I can personally attest to the fact that that is a ton of area to cover, even in a span of two weeks.

5. The Ku Klux Klan, although they still exist in the US, is not something you will ever see or have to deal with as tourists. They are far and few between and they have no interest in you. There are no race riots or lynchings going on in any of the Southern states. About the only thing you will notice about southerners is taht some of us just talk a little funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia