Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,625 times

Advertisements

Hello Georgians! It's Ally and I am a single mother with two kids and got three job offers one in Columbus, Savannah, and Macon. I need help choosing the best place to raise my family. I need to know your opinion on education, crime, and entertainment. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 03:59 PM

94 posts, read 362,779 times
Hi Ally! I would choose Columbus hands down! Wonderful great city! =D

Old 05-24-2010, 04:58 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Columbus is always voted as one of the best cities to raise a family. It was recently voted the #4 best city in the country to raise a family according to MSNBC.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:17 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
All of the cities have above national avg crime rates. I wouldnt be scared for my life in any of them though. As long as you stay out of certain parts at certain times, you'd be fine. You can find nice areas in all 3. Columbus has better public schools, and feels more laid back and suburban to me than the other 2. Savannah has beaches. Macon has centralized location and better access. There isnt too much that is so overwhelmingly better or worse about any of the cities when compared to each other....except Savannah having beaches. It just comes down to what exactly you're looking for. I cant speak for 100% exact areas in Savannah, but both North Macon and North Columbus would be great places to raise families. The South Bibb County/Hartley Bridge Rd. area in Macon would be as well. Of course, they all have a good variety of suburban area to choose from outside of the city, like Harris County (Columbus Metro) and Houston County/Jones County (Macon Metro).

SIDENOTE:
How come there always seems to be an OP that just so happens to only have like 1-5 total posts...and they always just so happen to have so called job offers in ALL or MOST of GA's 2nd tier cities with the luxury of picking between them???

Old 05-27-2010, 09:17 AM

94 posts, read 362,779 times
i agree. but if i had to rate each overall on a scale of 1-10:

Columbus- 8
Savannah- 6
Macon- 4

Old 06-02-2010, 06:41 PM

236 posts, read 698,687 times
I've lived in Savannah, but not the other 2. They all have good things to offer. Personally, if I had to choose - it would be Columbus. The downtown revitalization, outdoor activities, small town feel and SPACE appeal to me.

Any of them would be nice, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia