U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:06 PM

201 posts, read 1,027,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
Different places are going to have different laws. The city of Atlanta for instance used to have a law that said you could not cut down any healthy trees for any reason. They were trying to change the law to say you could cut down one tree per year. The city of Marietta doesn't have any law against cutting down trees on residential property. Its going to depend on where you are buying.
Thank you for your reply --very helpful! Have to investigate on Conyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 09:42 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,878,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
If its between safety and beauty, I'll chose beauty hands down every day!
Well I have to disagree with that - my safety and the safety of others and pets in my home is much more important than a nice view, even though those nice views do sell homes better.

That being said, it's just the bad planning of developers that put many homes in trouble here as others have pointed out. Those ads for "heavily wooded lots" should read "$$$ to cut down trees that will fall on your home".

We had three large Sweetgum trees in the front yard that had to come down as they are notorious for falling in bad storms and these were already losing branches every time a bad one came through. Other neighbors have cut down numerous Pine trees throughout the neighborhood except for the smaller ones which don't pose a "will destroy your house" threat if they fall. I can make my yard look just as nice with some well placed Dogwoods, Pear Trees, and ornamental shrubs and grasses as it would look overgrown with Pines.

Some hints, though.. if you are planting a new tree: They sell plastic root extenders that are basically boxes with no tops or bottoms, just sides. Dig your hole for the tree, insert this "box", then plant the root ball of the tree in the middle of it. The sides of this box force the tree to extend its roots deeper than it would have on its own, and as the tree grows up and older, it will be a more stable an stronger tree. (or create your own if you can't find these things). Even if you sell your home years later, it should make you feel better that you can let your buyers know you went through that trouble and the trees in their yard will stand up better in high winds than their neighbors will.

No house can stand up to a Pine coming through it, so if you buy here and the house is literally surrounded by them, you might want to get an Arborist out to check them out to see if any are weak or might pose a danger. NOT a tree company (they'll just want your $$) but an actual Arborist who's trained to spot this. As xxxman said, some cities like Atlanta had restrictions but they're loosening up on rules like that.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well I have to disagree with that - my safety and the safety of others and pets in my home is much more important than a nice view, even though those nice views do sell homes better.

That being said, it's just the bad planning of developers that put many homes in trouble here as others have pointed out. Those ads for "heavily wooded lots" should read "$$$ to cut down trees that will fall on your home".

We had three large Sweetgum trees in the front yard that had to come down as they are notorious for falling in bad storms and these were already losing branches every time a bad one came through. Other neighbors have cut down numerous Pine trees throughout the neighborhood except for the smaller ones which don't pose a "will destroy your house" threat if they fall. I can make my yard look just as nice with some well placed Dogwoods, Pear Trees, and ornamental shrubs and grasses as it would look overgrown with Pines.

Some hints, though.. if you are planting a new tree: They sell plastic root extenders that are basically boxes with no tops or bottoms, just sides. Dig your hole for the tree, insert this "box", then plant the root ball of the tree in the middle of it. The sides of this box force the tree to extend its roots deeper than it would have on its own, and as the tree grows up and older, it will be a more stable an stronger tree. (or create your own if you can't find these things). Even if you sell your home years later, it should make you feel better that you can let your buyers know you went through that trouble and the trees in their yard will stand up better in high winds than their neighbors will.

No house can stand up to a Pine coming through it, so if you buy here and the house is literally surrounded by them, you might want to get an Arborist out to check them out to see if any are weak or might pose a danger. NOT a tree company (they'll just want your $$) but an actual Arborist who's trained to spot this. As xxxman said, some cities like Atlanta had restrictions but they're loosening up on rules like that.
Well, well, well -- well said, expressed, explained and very informative! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I know there are others in Georgia appreciate this information.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:09 PM

527 posts, read 1,716,209 times
You may have to check with your homeowners association. We need to ask permission to cut down any trees in our subdivision. I don't think they will say no if it is for safety reason, but you may want to talk to them to get some feedback.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
You may have to check with your homeowners association. We need to ask permission to cut down any trees in our subdivision. I don't think they will say no if it is for safety reason, but you may want to talk to them to get some feedback.
Thank you so much! I know my cousin said she got in trouble because her neighbor reported her for cutting down trees in the backyard of her property when she first moved in. She said it was quite a few that she had cut down. She lives in Lithonia. There may be more "painting to the picture" than I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or