U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 02:20 PM

201 posts, read 1,024,630 times

Advertisements

Here I go with another weather-related question. There was a storm last week in a city close to us in Michigan. When the storm hit, trees fell on homes and cars. I know Georgia has a lot of trees and I know there is home insurance. Is there an ordinance or code about how close trees can be to the house? Is there a law about cutting down trees on the property you purchase if you think they are too close? I see pictures of homes on the computer that have tall trees behind them. I'm not paranoid, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 02:28 PM

111 posts, read 824,439 times
I've never heard of an ordinance like that. LOL!!! IMO it's a gamble to have trees that close. My neighbor has two HUGE oaks blow onto her house a couple weeks ago.....wind storm.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmartini View Post
I've never heard of an ordinance like that. LOL!!! IMO it's a gamble to have trees that close. My neighbor has two HUGE oaks blow onto her house a couple weeks ago.....wind storm.
Does that happen very often and what were the damages? I have a cousin in Lithonia who was telling us about getting in trouble cutting trees down in her own backyard. That's why I was asking about the cutting trees down and whether it is against the law.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:41 PM

139 posts, read 500,856 times
Your GA insurance agent or home inspector would the best ones to talk to. We live in GA & when we bought our house there were 3 (over 80 ft tall) pines within 10ft of the front of the house. Both recommended we get rid of them because of the closeness. We are originally from up north & I hated to do it but they explained because of the soil or should I say sand here they don't deep root like up north.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karoga View Post
Your GA insurance agent or home inspector would the best ones to talk to. We live in GA & when we bought our house there were 3 (over 80 ft tall) pines within 10ft of the front of the house. Both recommended we get rid of them because of the closeness. We are originally from up north & I hated to do it but they explained because of the soil or should I say sand here they don't deep root like up north.
That is something! Being from up north, you probably thought they would look great decorated during the holidays and it added detail to the front of your home. Is that correct? Is there a difference in the thickness or durability of clay and sandy dirt when it comes to holding trees in place?

Old 06-18-2007, 09:15 AM

273 posts, read 1,655,541 times
There's no law as far as I know, just use your own common sense.

Builders plant trees too close to the house ALL THE TIME. They look fine when they are small, but 20 years later, they become a problem.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
There's no law as far as I know, just use your own common sense.

Builders plant trees too close to the house ALL THE TIME. They look fine when they are small, but 20 years later, they become a problem.
You are right about 20 years later trees getting bigger and causing a problem. I asked a question earlier about trees being cut down on your property and the law concerning that, but no one responded. Do you know anything about that? If we found a home and a tree is too close, can you have it cut down? Is there a limit of how many can be cut down if you think there are too many?

Old 06-18-2007, 12:05 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,511,466 times
Most Trees in Georgia can reach heights over 100 feet. That would mean that you shouldn't have any pine or oak trees within 100 feet of your hose. Most large lots are only 100-200 feet deep and maybe 100 feet wide.

That means that if you want to be safe from trees falling on your house - live in Arizona, not Georgia where its more like living in a forest. If its between safety and beauty, I'll chose beauty hands down every day!

Old 06-18-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Most Trees in Georgia can reach heights over 100 feet. That would mean that you shouldn't have any pine or oak trees within 100 feet of your hose. Most large lots are only 100-200 feet deep and maybe 100 feet wide.

That means that if you want to be safe from trees falling on your house - live in Arizona, not Georgia where its more like living in a forest. If its between safety and beauty, I'll chose beauty hands down every day!
I agree with beauty and Georgia, because that's where we want to be. Still wanting someone to answer the question "if you don't want too many trees in your yard and they exist, is there a law saying you can't cut them down or is there a limit on how many you could cut down? Can you tell me that?

Old 06-18-2007, 05:11 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,907,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
I agree with beauty and Georgia, because that's where we want to be. Still wanting someone to answer the question "if you don't want too many trees in your yard and they exist, is there a law saying you can't cut them down or is there a limit on how many you could cut down? Can you tell me that?
Different places are going to have different laws. The city of Atlanta for instance used to have a law that said you could not cut down any healthy trees for any reason. They were trying to change the law to say you could cut down one tree per year. The city of Marietta doesn't have any law against cutting down trees on residential property. Its going to depend on where you are buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or