U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:11 PM

564 posts, read 2,154,889 times

Advertisements

What place, in your opinion, is the best place for recent-grad teacher with a masters degree from Arkansas?

I'd prefer it to be in a low-minority community...I don't want that to sound terrible, but I grew up the opposite way, and it was a very tough time, especially when I lived in Douglas when I was little...so I'd rather not go back to that.

I really don't want to go south of Atlanta, either. Just a nice community in North Georgia somewhere...every time I ask about good communities on the Alabama board, I get referred to Georgia because your pay is supposed to be much higher.

I won't graduate for some time, but I really just want to weigh my options for a very long time so I can make an informed decision later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2006, 08:59 PM

92 posts, read 617,846 times
The two best counties to work for in the Atlanta area are Fulton and Cobb. The best paying is Fulton. Stay away from Dekalb. My wife just left them for Fulton last year and she loves it!!! It looks like they actually care about their teachers in Fulton County. Within the two counties the best schools are in North Fulton (outside of the perimeter) and East Cobb. If you want some more specifics let me know.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:52 AM

5 posts, read 25,958 times
Try Rome or Floyd County Schools in northwest Georgia. Rome has excellent schools. It's about a half hour's drive off I-75.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:13 PM

16 posts, read 122,969 times
Default Best Place for a Teacher

My new daughter-in-law of 45 days is a teacher with a new master's degree. She moved to Atlanta from North Carolina and taught for two years in Clayton County, south of Atlanta. DON"T GO THERE!!! This is starting her second year in the Gwinnett County School system - northeast of Atlanta. She loves it (higher pay too, no kids bringing weapons to school or threatening the teacher).

If you want small town experience, my hometown, Ellijay, about 100 miles north of Atlanta, in the mountains, is a great place. One high school and one middle school in the County, about 4 elementary schools. Slow lifestyle, friendly people, relatively inexpensive homes. Only minority are Hispanic. Great place to live - My wife and I bought land here 8 years ago, built a house and moved here from Atlanta 2 years ago, even though I still work in an Atlanta suburb and have a long commute, the drive is not bad.

Ellijay has fishing, boating, whitewater kayaking, mountain bike riding, camping, local theater, garden clubs, parades on holidays, festivals - it's a great place. Temps run about 10 degrees cooler than Atlanta in summer, not much different from Atlanta in winter.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:38 PM

16 posts, read 53,389 times
Weapons at school?! At which Clayton County schools did she teach?

Old 08-11-2006, 06:08 PM

41 posts, read 246,177 times
How about the schools in Cherokee County?

Old 08-11-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat07
How about the schools in Cherokee County?
I was thinking about that. Woodstock seems like a nice area. Although the median house price is pretty high so it makes me wonder about real estate costs for a teacher's salary.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 29,504 times
Default So you want to come to Atlanta as a teacher....

You are definitely better off north of Atlanta. South of Atlanta, Union City, College Park, East Point, Fayetteville, Riverdale is in total disaray. Atlanta is very racially diverse, but not in the south Atlanta suburbs. They are a majority black and extremely racist. Whatever you have experienced in Arkansas will seem like heaven compared to Atlanta. I commend your desire to help others, but the school and county administrations are impossible to logically deal with. You can still find you are greatly needed in areas of north Atlanta and beyond. We had to move our child from the public schools to private because of the racist school administrators. This was in a suburb south of Atlanta. I am white my spouse is latino. And one last word, the crime is bad and about to get much, much worse due to the huge influx of housing without funding or care to provide an infrastructure. Not enough police, fire stations, and I won't even go into the sewage and water crisis. On second thought you want our home and we'll move to Arkansas? Good luck. With a masters you shouldn't have any problem! All of Atlanta is screaming for teachers. They are desperate because they are having a horrible time keeping any sort of quality staff.

Old 08-12-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mo
You are definitely better off north of Atlanta. South of Atlanta, Union City, College Park, East Point, Fayetteville, Riverdale is in total disaray. Atlanta is very racially diverse, but not in the south Atlanta suburbs. They are a majority black and extremely racist. Whatever you have experienced in Arkansas will seem like heaven compared to Atlanta. I commend your desire to help others, but the school and county administrations are impossible to logically deal with. You can still find you are greatly needed in areas of north Atlanta and beyond. We had to move our child from the public schools to private because of the racist school administrators. This was in a suburb south of Atlanta. I am white my spouse is latino. And one last word, the crime is bad and about to get much, much worse due to the huge influx of housing without funding or care to provide an infrastructure. Not enough police, fire stations, and I won't even go into the sewage and water crisis. On second thought you want our home and we'll move to Arkansas? Good luck. With a masters you shouldn't have any problem! All of Atlanta is screaming for teachers. They are desperate because they are having a horrible time keeping any sort of quality staff.
I don't want anywhere NEAR Atlanta.

By north of it I mean where it will take more than just a little drive to get there.

I've lived in Douglas, GA and Brookhaven, MS (my birthplace) as a kid...crime and big time black on white racism (and of course the other way around)...I don't even want to be reminded of it. Very rough. Douglas was really scary for me.

Arkansas isn't very bad, but it's a very poor area of the state. Things get seedy here too, but not as bad as what I've lived in before, not nearly. The reason I'm leaving Arkansas is because pay is absolutely horrible. They rank 46th last time i've checked in teacher pay, and I can't live off what they're paying.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 9,569 times
Default Best place in Atlanta

Hi All,
So I read that Fulton and Cobb county are the best for teachers in Atlanta..but I wanted more advice on the environment and surrounding. My husband and I are in our 30's and 20's and plan to start a family in ATL when we move, I want to work for the public sector and am getting my degree in Nonprofit management. He is an excellent teacher with two Masters degrees, please advice if these counties. Are these two racially diverse?how is the school system? standard of living, costs of homes, etc? Also, how about crimes and safety, please advice as we make our preparations. Also, does anyone know of any job hunters and real estate agents to assist in job hunting in the nonprofit sector and agents for homes?

Thanks all and happy new year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia