Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 03:48 PM

31 posts, read 116,559 times

Advertisements

We are trying to find a school for our deaf daughter. Can anyone tell me anything about the schools for the deaf in Georgia. I know there is 1 in Atlanta and 1 in Cave Springs. Any assistant would be wounderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 05:43 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
How old is she?

The school in Cave Springs tends to have children with multiple disabilities.

What county are you in?

Old 06-18-2007, 04:34 AM

My daughter is 7. We live out of state and looking to move to a different area.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:18 AM

In Dekalb County, which is not the state's strongest school system by any means, the program at Briarcliff Elementary is well respected and I think loved. You do have to live in DeKalb to attend this school.

Clearly, you are looking for self contained? Or do you prefer mainstreaming? Is her hearing impairment her only major disability?

Georgia is a big state -- lots of school systems and schools. It would be helpful if you could narrow down at least which part of the state you prefer.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 PM

Her deafness is her main disability. We are just looking for an area in the south that has a larger population of deaf children. We are in an area that has less than 5 deaf children in the area. We also would like to be in a good area that has public schools. I am a school teacher and would need a job.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:12 AM

The challenge is twofold for you -- one is that Metro Atlanta is a really large area -- so while I am certain there are lots of hearing impaired children in the area -- they are most likely (like everything else in Atlanta) spread out. Second, in general, GA schools are not so strong special ed wise. Less that 50 percent of high schoolers in special education actually graduate. However, being Deaf, does not necessarily require a special education track. I know that you will find more deaf children here than where you are.

One really good source of information for you may be the Atlanta Speech School, a private school for hearing impaired children. It is one of the most respected in the country and, even if you are primarily interested in public schools, they may be willing to give you some guidance.

Atlanta Speech School

You may also want to contact the principal at Briarlake to get a sense about the program there --

Briarlake Elementary School

What will your housing price range be? This may determine where you can live.

In terms of your job --I am sure you know that now is the time to start looking -- as unbelievably sad as it is -- school starts in about 8 weeks in most counties -- as little as 6 weeks in some counties that have year round schools.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 29,735 times
I was very immpressed with the deaf school in St. Augustine, Florida. It is on the intercoastal waterway and huge. I have no personal knowledge of the school, however. I would research it as well.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 7,452 times
Default Equipping deaf children with an education and Christian character

Faith Christian School for the Deaf is located in Ringgold, GA. Faith Christian School is located on the campus of Harvest Deaf Bible College. The family atmosphere has many benefits such as personal tutoring by the college students as well as tremendous role models for your child. Extra Curricular Opportunities include: Drama, Music, Sign Choir, Art and Physical Education. I hope this helps. I realize school has started for most children.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 7,437 times
Atlanta School for the Deaf. I don't know anything about the school itself, but I live near it. It's located on North Indian Creek Drive in Stone Mountain, Georgia, adjacent to the city of Clarkston. The population here is hugely diverse, black, white, Asian (heavily Vietnamese), and African (Ethiopian, Somali, Kenyan, Eritrean, etc.). The Dekalb County public school system has a very poor reputation, but I don't know that it includes the ASD. The single-family dwelling neighborhoods in this area are charming. Most were built in the late 60s and early 70s, and prices for a 3- or 4-bedroom/2bth house range from about $160K-$190K. Intown Atlanta prices go $300k-$1 million. The apartment situation appears to be overcrowded, and you'd probably have to screen a prospective complex very carefully. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:57 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,382 times
Georgia School for the Deaf (GSD) is a bit different from Atlanta Area School for the Deaf (AASD). GSD is a statewide school with dorms, while AASD is a metrowide day school (without dorms). Both schools are run by the State.

I am less impressed with GSD than I am with AASD. What I would suggest is that you check out with the local district in the counties you are interested and ask about their mainstream/special education programs for the deaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia