Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:16 AM

14 posts, read 67,438 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I'm a former West Michigander born and raised in Grand Haven and moved to San Francisco after I graduated high school. Just for fun, I've been pricing out apartments and what not in the GR area and am having a bit too much fun, however, if I were to move back I'm not sure if the area has changed much since I graduated in 2007. How is the job climate in the area? night life? If I remember anything it wasn't anything remarkable. The price is whats appealing, but then again, things are usually cheap for a reason.

What do you think? A progressive liberal from San Francisco making a transition back to West Michigan. Is there any hope?

Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,598,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_david View Post
Hello All!

I'm a former West Michigander born and raised in Grand Haven and moved to San Francisco after I graduated high school. Just for fun, I've been pricing out apartments and what not in the GR area and am having a bit too much fun, however, if I were to move back I'm not sure if the area has changed much since I graduated in 2007. How is the job climate in the area? night life? If I remember anything it wasn't anything remarkable. The price is whats appealing, but then again, things are usually cheap for a reason.

What do you think? A progressive liberal from San Francisco making a transition back to West Michigan. Is there any hope?

Jeremy
I noticed a couple of things in your post.

It looks like you left when you were 18-ish, which means you don't have any experience living in Grand Rapids as an adult. I don't know of any cities that have an exciting nightlife for an 18 year old, so it makes sense that you would remember it as being "unremarkable." Grand Rapids has a great nightlife for a city of 200,000, but it's not going to compare to San Fransisco. Grand Rapids is appealing because it is a good value overall when you consider housing prices, lack of traffic, easy access to nature, and a little bit of urban lifestyle as a package deal. If you compare one aspect of the city, such as "nightlife", to a world-class city like San Fransisco, it's obviously not going to stack up very well. Grand Rapids can be more enjoyable than a city like San Fransisco for the right person, but you have to appreciate certain things.

As for your political views, there are plenty of progressives in the city of Grand Rapids. The traditional conservatives are concentrated more in the suburbs. But, again... I noticed that you are only 21-ish. My political views have changed a lot since I was 21. You might not want to lock into the mindset that you are a "progressive liberal" for life just yet. There are a lot of compelling arguments for different political perspectives. Being 21-ish, I would try to keep an open mind. If you allow it to happen, your political views will probably continue to evolve. Maybe when you get a little older and set in your ways you can start avoiding entire communities that "don't agree with you." Then you'll be a true City Data member!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:55 AM

14 posts, read 67,438 times
Thank-you for the response! Though not the one I expected. I wouldn't assume my political views would substantiate my city data membership, however, everyone is entitled to opinions. I'm aware that political views can change for anyone, I'm also aware there are many "rebel" young adults my age that say they are liberal just to say it. I'd like to think I've researched my politics enough to know what I stand for. Finding value and growing up fast happens when you've been on your own since 17. Regardless, that's not what my post was about. Thank-you for pointing it out, though. It is in fact a measure of why I am moving, as San Francisco tends to become tied up in politics over just about everything, including my major which is Urban/City Planning. I'd like to think GR, which I've read is growing again, would be a good place for me to attempt to move into my profession.

I'm worried about a lot of things if I were to move back, past the compelling of price. Seeing as I'm 22 and independently living in San Francisco makes me think I'd have no problem living comfortably in Grand Rapids. Given that I did not have the pleasure of trying all the foods that are out here, I was a "lets go to applebees" kinda guy before my move, how are the eats over there? Can I get good Thai, Chinese, Sushi, Korean BBQ? Has GR diversified more than I remember?

I'd like to live in downtown GR to hopefully maintain my urban lifestyle of walking to just about everything. I remember downtown seemed like a construction site last time I was there in 06'. Are good stores popping up? I always loved walking around that area.

Also, since websites seem to be failing me, what are apartment rents at?

Granted its been 4 years since I moved. I'm looking to check it out when I come back this summer to visit my family in GH. I've got so many questions haha.

Jeremy

Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,841,636 times
Rapid Growth might be a good resource for you Jeremy:

Home

Tends to slant on the progressive/creative community/urban redevelopment site.

Most of the construction that was taking place in 06 has wrapped up. The changes downtown have been nothing short of explosive. However, there's still not a good selection of retail or grocery stores downtown. The next big projects that will kick off soon downtown are the new year round market and Grand Valley State's new business college. 38 Commerce and Gallery on Fulton are two new residential developments that have recently completed, both with apartment rentals. 38 is nearly full, not sure about Gallery. Retail will naturally follow all the new residential, when the economy turns around.

Another area within walking distance of downtown that is really taking off is Uptown, that includes 6 or 7 different business districts (East Hills, Wealthy Street, Midtown, Eastown, Fulton Heights, Baxter). You might want to check that area out too, as there are a lot of rentals and it's distinctly progressive. Wealthy Theatre is sort of the community epicenter of that area.

Unemployment here is just below the national average, and actually is a little better than San Francisco's right now.

Restaurant selection is great. I know many people who have moved here and were blown away by the choices in locally owned restaurants. The downside is that you wont find a great deal of authentic ethnic cuisine. There's plenty of Thai, Chinese and Sushi to be had.

You'll be able to find a good diversity in political perspectives. Just don't read the letters to the editor in the Grand Rapids Press and you'll be fine.

There's also a great deal of attention being paid to the future plans for the city, that you might be interested in. The transit system is going through their new 20 year plan, the city is constantly working on greening the downtown, upgrades to the riverfront, new trails, and making it more attractive to young people.

Hope all that helps.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:38 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,895,539 times
I live in Michigan and had never been to Grand Rapids until a few weeks ago. I dont know a whole lot about it, but just my two cents worth...we were VERY impressed. We went there at night, and the town was hopping...it was awesome.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:45 AM

447 posts, read 1,244,838 times
A couple of examples:
Icon on Bond is a fairly recent development and rental rates run from $980 - $1,700.

Hopson Flats is young and hip and rents for $515 (for a room) to $1,250 for a 2 bdr flat. (mostly students)

Old 01-24-2011, 01:18 PM

47 posts, read 98,061 times
For Asian cuisine, it's going to be mostly disappointing overall. There are a couple of sushi places I've been to here that I do like, but you're not going to get the same variety compared to San Fran. For Korean and especially Chinese, I expect you'll be severely disappointed. With due respect to whoever said there's plenty of Chinese here.. that's only if you're talking Americanized Chinese. There's probably better Vietnamese in the GR/Holland area than Chinese. As for Thai, there are more than I expected in the GR area but I've only been to a couple that were mediocre. There is one in Holland that I do like, however.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,598,591 times
Quote:
I wouldn't assume my political views would substantiate my city data membership, however, everyone is entitled to opinions. I'm aware that political views can change for anyone, I'm also aware there are many "rebel" young adults my age that say they are liberal just to say it. I'd like to think I've researched my politics enough to know what I stand for. Finding value and growing up fast happens when you've been on your own since 17.
A ton of people come on this forum and say things like "I'm conservative, and I need to find a conservative city so I can live with my own kind!" or something to that effect. You can substitute "Liberal" or "libertarian" or whatever into that sentence. When you mentioned your strong political beliefs in that post, I thought you might be another one of those. There is a certain side of me that likes to pick fights, and you happened to catch me at a bad time! So I apologize for the snarky reply.

In all seriousness, there are plenty of progressives in the city of Grand Rapids, especially in the neighborhoods that Magellan mentioned. If you really are attracted to the reasonable prices, you should give Grand Rapids a look. The city is getting to the point where it is almost universally liked by everyone that visits.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,368 times
All good points about Grand Rapids...I have lived and can live anywhere in the USA, but choose to live in Grand Rapids and visit the others. This is a low-stress, quality city, even living in the burbs. All types of ethnic restaurants are in the metro area, some good, some not so. The ones I know are comparable to the good restaurants in SF. Much has changed in the past 4 yrs. There are so many arts and entertainment pieces here, not only will you not be bored but it will be hard to attend them all! Realistically, you're going to find pluses and minuses of every city. Your work experiences will be welcomed and the quality is life is always good. Downtown is hoppin'!

Last edited by wgates; 01-30-2011 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-18-2011, 09:47 AM

49 posts, read 121,976 times
Having moved from SF (I'm an SF Native) to GR:

The Asian food is substandard, the best being Thai food. All the Japanese restaurants are run by Koreans. You will not find ramen or izakayas here. All the Chinese restaurants (except wei-wei palace) that i've been to are American/Chinese restaurants. There is perhaps 1 Korean restaurant in GR that I'm aware of, and my Korean friends have told me it's not that good. I've only been to one restaurant that I really enjoyed - Chez Olga, Haitian food in Eastown. Everything else has been meh.

The cost of living here is a lot cheaper than SF though. And GR seems to be changing for the better.

I would've lived in Downtown because it's interesting, but the lack of amenities such as supermarkets and such, and the desire to live closer to work, I chose to live in Kentwood by 28th St.

That being said, I've been pleasantly surprised about how much more diverse this area is that I had expected (read: minimal diversity). GR has more Latinos and Blacks compared to the national avg, but far fewer Asians, of which I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area