Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,805 times

Advertisements

I'm Jersey born and bred and have been living in Philadelphia for the past 3 years. I've gotten to my breaking point, mostly due to the attitude of the people living in this city. I'm considering a move out of the area completely when my lease is up next spring. One of my close friends lives in Grand Rapids and absolutely loves it. I've been reading up on it and it seems like it could be a good fit for me. Obviously I will need to visit before I make a decision but I'd appreciate any opinions on if I'd fit in.

-I hate rude people, biggest reason for my looking to move out of Philly. despite being Jersey raised, I can't stand rudeness!

-I'm an atheist/liberal/progressive/think outside the box kinda person. it doesn't really come up too much in Philly but I have lost a (seemingly) close friend due to religious differences. Is it something that would prevent me from forming relationships/being a part of the community?

-I don't yet have a degree. I have about a year to go, after having to drop out due to financial difficulty. I'm hoping to straighten all that out and was looking into Grand Valley State. Is this a good school? I'll be 24 by next spring, are non-traditional students looked at funny?

-Going along with the degree topic, how hard would it be to find a decent job? I'm currently a full time-ish dog walker, make approx $1600 a month. Experience with mental health offices/case management, waitressing, retail. Obviously I won't be landing any CEO positions without a degree but how difficult would it be to get a serving/retail/etc full time gig?

-How hard is it to find an apartment or house to rent that allows pets? I have cats and will be bringing them along.

Thanks for any info you guys can give me. If I do go through with this move, it'll be the first time I've left the Eastern shoreboard and it's completely intimidating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 PM

550 posts, read 2,053,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb378 View Post
I'm Jersey born and bred and have been living in Philadelphia for the past 3 years. I've gotten to my breaking point, mostly due to the attitude of the people living in this city. I'm considering a move out of the area completely when my lease is up next spring. One of my close friends lives in Grand Rapids and absolutely loves it. I've been reading up on it and it seems like it could be a good fit for me. Obviously I will need to visit before I make a decision but I'd appreciate any opinions on if I'd fit in.

-I hate rude people, biggest reason for my looking to move out of Philly. despite being Jersey raised, I can't stand rudeness!

-I'm an atheist/liberal/progressive/think outside the box kinda person. it doesn't really come up too much in Philly but I have lost a (seemingly) close friend due to religious differences. Is it something that would prevent me from forming relationships/being a part of the community?

-I don't yet have a degree. I have about a year to go, after having to drop out due to financial difficulty. I'm hoping to straighten all that out and was looking into Grand Valley State. Is this a good school? I'll be 24 by next spring, are non-traditional students looked at funny?

-Going along with the degree topic, how hard would it be to find a decent job? I'm currently a full time-ish dog walker, make approx $1600 a month. Experience with mental health offices/case management, waitressing, retail. Obviously I won't be landing any CEO positions without a degree but how difficult would it be to get a serving/retail/etc full time gig?

-How hard is it to find an apartment or house to rent that allows pets? I have cats and will be bringing them along.

Thanks for any info you guys can give me. If I do go through with this move, it'll be the first time I've left the Eastern shoreboard and it's completely intimidating!
Hello! I can give some input on some of your questions.

I live in philly now (for the past four years) and i KNOW what you mean about rude people. You will NOT encounter that in GR...now yes there will be some unfriendly people, but nothing like the people I have encountered here in philly...My bf (born and bred philly) loves it in MI and enjoyed his time visiting Grand rapids.

the Grand Rapids general area is fairly conservative, however the city itself, even though small is fairly diverse.....especially if you go to grand valley...

Onto Grand Valley- I did not attend, but many of my friends did and they all have great jobs...one in film in NYC, one a nurse in Grand Rapids, one a teacher (out of state) and many more doing all kinds of things! it is a great school! Now for non-traditional students, not sure what other's input would be....

I am sure others will be a wealth of information! good luck with your decision! I won't be far behind leaving here

Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,870,277 times
Grand Rapids is more reserved Midwestern than rude. People are a little more quiet compared to the coast or South, and some people like that, but it's more of a not wanting to bother someone than some version of hostility.

As for Grand Valley, they're surprisingly good for a young (founded in the 60s) institution that was never supposed to really be more than an undergrad school. Not sure what their transfer rules, but for general undergrad admission right out of high school, their GPA and test scores are comparable to Michigan State and some of their allied health programs are outright hard to get into. Something like 80%+ of their student body sticks in West Michigan after graduation.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,868,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb378 View Post

You'll like it compared to Philly. I'd say go for it. There's no way to say how successful you'll be at finding a job you like while attending school, but the unemployment rate here is about the same as it is there.

$1600 a month walking dogs is pretty good. I actually know a woman here who has a dog walking service, but I don't know how much she makes. You might be able to do that.

Here's a somewhat "progressive" resource for Grand Rapids (including jobs listings):

Rapid Growth Media

Old 06-01-2011, 08:04 AM

49 posts, read 122,096 times
Cats were not a problem at all the apartments I looked at. Some require an increase in rent and/or deposit.

People are really chill here. When you forget to go when the light turn green, people usually just patiently wait for you.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:05 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,108,092 times
Greetings!
You will love Grand Rapids.

"I'm an atheist/liberal/progressive/think outside the box kinda person. it doesn't really come up too much in Philly but I have lost a (seemingly) close friend due to religious differences. Is it something that would prevent me from forming relationships/being a part of the community?"

While this may have been true 20-25 years ago, it no longer is, thanks to the influx of young people like yourself from other places.Old attitudes are dying off.

"How hard is it to find an apartment or house to rent that allows pets? I have cats and will be bringing them along."

Not difficult at all. Come.

" If I do go through with this move, it'll be the first time I've left the Eastern shoreboard and it's completely intimidating!"

You will be amazed at the un-itimidatingness (if that is a word) of Grand Rapids.
I may be the professional dog walker that Magellan references...in good months I earn between 3100 and 3500 per month; less during the winter months. Come, open up shop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area