U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:13 PM

49 posts, read 152,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I don't think it's fair for you to say that you have lived in GR 97% of your life......and then make emphatic statements about Detroit when You have likely not lived their even .01% of your life. Innocent people are victims of crime in Grand Rapids! Crimes of opportunity do happen. Even with Detroits population loss Detroit has almost 4 times the population of Grand Rapids. When I lived in GR there were over 30 murders a year some years. Multiply that by 4 to equal the size of Detroit and you would have 120 murders a year. Now imagine listening to the news in a city with 120 murders. Even though the crime rate is essentially the same per capita, all of a sudden people would think that Grand Rapids is very violent.

Lets face it, crime is simply news and statistics for most people. It's not really something that personally impacts you. I know many people personally who were murdered, as well as, people who did murder(s). I have had relatives on both ends, unfortunately. I am simply amazed how people who really have little experience in certain environments act like experts, notwithstanding.

1st population has nothing to do with murders. Were Im at now is the size of detroit or maybe even bigger and we only have like 20 murders a year. But the thing about here anyone is fair play unlike grand rapids.

Innocent people are rarely if ever harmed in Grand Rapids unless you work at a store and get robbed or something.

Grand rapids highest murder rate was in i think around 1996 or so.

When I stayed in Grand Rapids, I knew everyone for the most part that got murdered or knew someone that knew them and most of times its crime on crime.

Where Im at now heck you can be at the ATM and someone will come up and kill you and take your money or throw you in the trunk.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 PM

12,486 posts, read 7,587,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustme1 View Post
1st population has nothing to do with murders. Were Im at now is the size of detroit or maybe even bigger and we only have like 20 murders a year. But the thing about here anyone is fair play unlike grand rapids.
Well, first of all if there is no population there can be no murders. Secondly, the a city can have the same murder rate, per capita, and hence the larger the population the larger the number of murders. Thirdly, if you live in a city the size of Detroit and only has like 20 murders then homicide rate is much lower than grand rapids.

I think its true that the criminal culture in Grand Rapids traditionally has found other means of making money rather than street robberies of random victims. However, not everyone living in Grand Rapids have been enculurated with Grand Rapids street culture. There are many people living in GR from Chicago, Detroit, Flint, Benton Harbor and they bring a different street culture to the scene. Random violent crimes do happen in Grand Rapids! Its just a very small, small percent of crimes and you don't here about it that much. However, if a bigger city with the same small percent of total crimes being random, you hear about them more because the absolute numbers are more. Again, however, most crimes that happen can be avoided regardless of what city you live in, by changing ones behavior.

Quote:
Innocent people are rarely if ever harmed in Grand Rapids unless you work at a store and get robbed or something.

Grand rapids highest murder rate was in i think around 1996 or so.

When I stayed in Grand Rapids, I knew everyone for the most part that got murdered or knew someone that knew them and most of times its crime on crime.

Where Im at now heck you can be at the ATM and someone will come up and kill you and take your money or throw you in the trunk.
I think that you are just paranoid because you live in an area that is foreign to you. I can tell you right now that if I lived in a city the size of Detroit and it only has like 20 murders....I would feel safer than in GR because its not likely that you are going to be a random victim of violent crime. Its rare that you find a US city with a high robbery rate and not have a high homicide rate. If you live in a tourist type city.....then that maybe true. I mean, if you are new to a city and hear about somone getting robbed at the ATM and thrown in the trunk.....that does not mean that it happens on a regular bases. That having been said, did not some women in Grand Rapids get abducted and killed in just such an incident a few years ago?

http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-woman-...,6006130.story

http://www.murders.betterwholeness.c...nd-rapids.html

http://www.silentobserver.org/ongoingcrimes.asp

....July 27, 2011: Wyoming Police are asking the public's assistance identifying a suspect who assaulted, robbed and kidnapped a 53 year old woman as she left Mr. Duds Cleaners at 1230 28th St. SW, where she worked. The victim was locking doors at 9:30 p.m. when a suspect approached her on foot and dragged her into the alley just west of the store where he injured her by throwing her to the ground, threatened to kill her and then demanded her keys. After using the victim's keys to enter the business to steal money from the cash register, the suspect returned and forced the victim into the trunk of her car. A short time later, the victim reported that the suspect stopped and let her out of the trunk, possibly by a nearby school. The suspect gave the victim the ignition key to her car and fled on foot....

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-03-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 02-04-2012, 04:36 PM

9 posts, read 38,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustme1 View Post
My goodness the way you all talk and act scared you should move to planet mars and live by yourself.

I stayed in GR 97% of my life, Grand Rapids IS SAFE and Heaven compared to Detroit.

The thing with GR is its crime on crime. Innocent people dont get shoot robbed or murdered. If you their minding your own business or what not you will be safe.

I know white people to walk in the hood late at night walking their dogs

GR crime is just drug crimes and so on. If you plan on selling drugs then it may be dangerous for you, if you just mind your own business and be street smart just like you would anywhere you will be safe as can be!

Like I say innocent people usually dont get robbed or killed unlike Detroit where you can be at a stoplight and somebody shoot you and car jack you

lol...you clearly bumped your head the mournin you decided to post this garbage lol....oh man...

look, even according to "first 48", most of murders in detroit are DRUG-RELEATED...lol ya'll killin me actin like *****s in detroit is just poppin other *****s at random--lol c'mon now

trust me...i was a part of the problem in G-rap (SE) an if you looked like a sucka' it was curtains whether we knew you or not!

but anyways man, random stuff happen EVERYWHERE its most notorious in detroit cause its jus more *****s and the crime is high for the population.

now i seen and lived thru gr at its worst and it came pretty damn close to detroit considerin that grand rapids is populated mainly by white people (i believe its over 60%).

its a shame to say that BUT i keeps it real... I live in ATL an been all thru it an the parts thats populated mainly by *****s or black people is craaaaazy! man dekalb county stay on the news--lol

all in all--it is wha it is

Old 02-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's fair for you to say that you have lived in GR 97% of your life......and then make emphatic statements about Detroit when You have likely not lived their even .01% of your life. Innocent people are victims of crime in Grand Rapids! Crimes of opportunity do happen. Even with Detroits population loss Detroit has almost 4 times the population of Grand Rapids. When I lived in GR there were over 30 murders a year some years. Multiply that by 4 to equal the size of Detroit and you would have 120 murders a year. Now imagine listening to the news in a city with 120 murders. Even though the crime rate is essentially the same per capita, all of a sudden people would think that Grand Rapids is very violent.

Lets face it, crime is simply news and statistics for most people. It's not really something that personally impacts you. I know many people personally who were murdered, as well as, people who did murder(s). I have had relatives on both ends, unfortunately. I am simply amazed how people who really have little experience in certain environments act like experts, notwithstanding.

well thats all im tryin to say, feel me. i posted a very short list (on page 2 i believe) of wha i experience while livin in GR. people yappin' about "detroit this" and "detroit that" but how has livin in detroit (if they do is up for debate) affected their lives personally. it was very hard trying to survive in grand rapids and i been gone for 12+ years and dont plan on goin back...

Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis31 View Post
well thats all im tryin to say, feel me. i posted a very short list (on page 2 i believe) of wha i experience while livin in GR. people yappin' about "detroit this" and "detroit that" but how has livin in detroit (if they do is up for debate) affected their lives personally. it was very hard trying to survive in grand rapids and i been gone for 12+ years and dont plan on goin back...
I hope everything is working out for you in ATL. Their economy is in the dumps too, when it used to be the boom town. I lived in ATL for about a year. My first week there was at a little motel on stewart ave right in the hood. Then I found a room in cabbage town (before gentrification) where I stayed with this older lady. I used to ride Marta day and night all through ATL. I like ATL but I liked Detroit better. Its just the economic thing that led me here to Minneapolis. However, in the black community here, the same thing goes on as it does in black communities all over the country. Lots of people from Chicago and Gary moved here.....so you can imagine what the hood is like....even though overall the crime rate for the city of Minneapolis is low because its a mostly white city.

I don't know who that itsjustme cat is......but he must have lived a very sheltered life. Man.....I could tell you some stories of life in my neighborhood in GR.....but I can't....if you know what I mean.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I hope everything is working out for you in ATL. Their economy is in the dumps too, when it used to be the boom town. I lived in ATL for about a year. My first week there was at a little motel on stewart ave right in the hood. Then I found a room in cabbage town (before gentrification) where I stayed with this older lady. I used to ride Marta day and night all through ATL. I like ATL but I liked Detroit better. Its just the economic thing that led me here to Minneapolis. However, in the black community here, the same thing goes on as it does in black communities all over the country. Lots of people from Chicago and Gary moved here.....so you can imagine what the hood is like....even though overall the crime rate for the city of Minneapolis is low because its a mostly white city.

I don't know who that itsjustme cat is......but he must have lived a very sheltered life. Man.....I could tell you some stories of life in my neighborhood in GR.....but I can't....if you know what I mean.

yea, it is an thanks. i do know wha you mean an for wha its worth, hope things workin' out for you--life is hard in general ya know.

ATL is ok for wha it is...

Old 02-08-2012, 02:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,741 times
Default I am from GR

I don't like the downtown area my Boyfriend lives in the city and depends on the area I do like that there is so much to do and so many opportunities to better yourself here , education and art are huge things here. theirs a lot outside of the city Holland beach is 30 min away wonderful area.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:13 PM

23 posts, read 104,471 times
Let's be serious, man. Grand Rapids is no where as rough as Detroit. I know a lot of Detroit dudes that ran all up and down that city and had them GR boys scared to death. Detroit is the murder cap for three years now.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideManiac View Post
Let's be serious, man. Grand Rapids is no where as rough as Detroit. I know a lot of Detroit dudes that ran all up and down that city and had them GR boys scared to death. Detroit is the murder cap for three years now.
And I think everyone has made it clear that no one is stating that Grand Rapids is as rough as Detroit, but rather, that there are some rough areas and people in Grand Rapids. Detroit dudes run all up and down Detroit making people scared also. So you mean to tell me that there are not people in Detroit that have other Detroiters scared? Detroit has crews all across this country, that come into a city to sell drugs.

If you are a killer you are a killer.....it does not matter where you are from. If a Grand Rapids cat is not scared to kill someone from Grand Rapids, why would he be scared to kill someone from Detroit or any other place? Lets not forget also that Detroit was populated with folks from places like Mississippi and Alabama.....just like people in SE GR. What makes the situation ROUGH, is our shared history that has black people all over this country enganged in a war against ourselves. That war does not just take place in Detroit......but in all areas with black concentrations.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideManiac View Post

lol this is retarded...

aint no REAL ***** from GR scared of *****s from DETROIT! when someone says "im from detroit" no one runs into the crib an close the doors, ***** so you an them otha *****s jus' playin' yourselves.

no one cares about them bein murder cap, *****! especially since 90% are drug-related!

im from the SE side of GR and put me in a room to trade war stories wit a ***** from the slums of "D" an bet money he'll run outta stuff to talk about before me so kill that noise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area