U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 AM

31 posts, read 56,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin.bates View Post
Grand Rapids, especially my neighborhood has seen a spike in murders, rapes and robberies lately. I had someone break into our house recently while I was watching t.v.. thankfully I have large dogs. I think it will be close to detroit in the few years to come.
Omigod. You were home! Thank God you had dogs. Did they get in or did the dogs scare them off? I lived for 10 years in the S.E. part of Grand Rapids, not to far from Division. Boy that was ROUGH! I think it will be Detroit too. That's where a lot of major drugs come in as well as Chicago. Currently, I live in Norton Shores about 10 minutes from Lake Michigan. I had only been living there for 3 weeks and me and my daughter went to get cake and ice cream to celebrate her 18th birthday. We were gone 20 minutes and got back and had been robbed. It was unreal I hate thieves. You work hard for the little things you have, then someone has the gaul to just come in your house and 'take' your ****. Apparently, it was 2 guys all coked up that went on a spree breaking in houses and cars. Just taking anything. Lotion, phones, laptops, baseball caps,sunglasses etc;....Luckily they caught these 2 within an hour of their spree. and I got all mt stuff back

Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 AM

31 posts, read 56,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis31 View Post
ok this right here is wha catches people off guard when they go to GR. the SE side of it CAN BE every bit as rough as Detroit and i know this cause i was raised there for the first 18 years of my life.

When i was there, poverty was real...i mean abandoned homes and run down buildings the whole nine yards man. I had cousins (blood) who lived in that area of detroit, say how bad the se side of GR looked while they were there.

if you dont believe me, here's what me/family been thru while livin' in GR i will keep this short as possible:

Pops: was a crackhead and even broke into our crib and cleaned us out to fuel his habits. in an' out of jail and been convicted for numerous felonies and was homeless for years (division street), etc.

Moms: commited various crimes (shoplifting, etc.), victim of domestic violence, in a relationship wit a big time dope dealer (from detroit actually) and provided numerous access to guns which i held in my hand at early age, etc.

Sisters: clinically diagnosed wit depression, an other mental ailments. we tried numerous times to kill each other wit knives, etc.

me: made attempt on my life at 10-12 years old, diagnosed wit mental disease, bullied everyday, jumped and beaten, stabbed in face with an object (cant remember what it was), fighting all the time and actually expelled from one elementary school (hillcrest) for punchin' a girl in the nose, use to break into people houses and cars, ran from police one night of felonious adventure even invading their road blocks, made an plan to rob old kent bank before it closed, my life was threathen for wearin hat in wrong position, and i can go on...

cousins: in and out of jail and prison, convicted for selling drugs, kidnap and gun charges, one had numerous warrant in DETROIT, eventually going to prison for it, the same one had gotten beaten while in juvinile an we sued the state for it, their father is serving two life sentences for reasons unknown, etc. Their sister was a victim of domestic violence (he chocked and hit her) but he hid from us cause we were gonna kill him.

uncle: selling drugs and possible gun possesion (dont recall), child support jail time cause lack of findin a job, etc.

aunts: one is victim of domestic violence and or disputes, etc.

Cousin (thru marriage): was killed at fannies corner's for "mean muggin" some cat in the same area i had my life threathened as a kid.

and i can go on forever...

so yes GR can be everybit as rough as detroit and thats not even mentioning the hunger pangs and homeless shelter visits. People talkin wreckless like its not rough is delusional and those same cats are the one that get robbed or worse.

I even ended up in ATL cause our spot was invaded by ATF and the pigs cause they were looking for drugs that our pops brother was sellin.
Thank you for sharing your post. I've been out there like that when I lived in Bronx, New York. I seen A LOT. Your post was real. You seemed to come out of it strong. Good luck to you and again thanks for the post. Sometimes people just don't know what others have been through.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,757,790 times
Sorry about your troubles, but in my 16 years of living in Grand Rapids, I have found that most people in GR have never been to Detroit (other than a Tigers game). You really can't compare the two on any scale.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,809,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Sorry about your troubles, but in my 16 years of living in Grand Rapids, I have found that most people in GR have never been to Detroit (other than a Tigers game). You really can't compare the two on any scale.
That's very odd. Just about everyone I know in Kalamazoo has been to Detroit. And there are alot of people from Detroit in GR. Especially at GVSU. But I am also a young adult so these are probably 2 different types of people.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
That's very odd. Just about everyone I know in Kalamazoo has been to Detroit. And there are alot of people from Detroit in GR. Especially at GVSU. But I am also a young adult so these are probably 2 different types of people.
Most of the people I know are in their 30's and 40's. They'll say all kinds of bad things about Detroit, and yet when I ask them if they've ever been, most (if not all) have never been to Detroit. Never been to Midtown, Cass, 7 Mile or Livernois, never been to the State fairgrounds when they were still around, don't know where Royal Oak or Ferndale are, never driven Jefferson through Grosse Pointe, never been to Belle Isle or Eastern Market or Fox Theatre or the Masonic Temple or been over to Windsor. None of it. Yet they talk about Detroit and bash it like they know it. They parked their car, walked to Tigers game, got back in their car, and drove home.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM

1,426 posts, read 2,658,462 times
Quote:
The whole city of Grand Rapids had 18 murders for all of last year, 2012. 17 the year before. For a city of 200,000, that's not very high. Detroit has a population just under 700,000 and had 375.
Yeah, but 7 in December alone plus the elderly couple found murdered in their home in suburban Kentwood in a nice neighborhood definitely has the city on edge. No one is talking. The police remain impotent because of the code of silence, much to the delight of the murderers roaming the street.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 AM

3,095 posts, read 5,630,566 times
Quote:
Most of the people I know are in their 30's and 40's. They'll say all kinds of bad things about Detroit, and yet when I ask them if they've ever been, most (if not all) have never been to Detroit. Never been to Midtown, Cass, 7 Mile or Livernois, never been to the State fairgrounds when they were still around, don't know where Royal Oak or Ferndale are, never driven Jefferson through Grosse Pointe, never been to Belle Isle or Eastern Market or Fox Theatre or the Masonic Temple or been over to Windsor. None of it. Yet they talk about Detroit and bash it like they know it. They parked their car, walked to Tigers game, got back in their car, and drove home.
I believe it.

West Michigan is great, and people there certainly don't "need" to visit Detroit for much of anything on a day to day basis. But there's an awful lot of people there who seem to think the world ends at the Kent County line, and the rest of Michigan is a wasteland (other than various favorite vacation spots, of course).

As someone who has lived/spent a lot of time in West Michigan, and having now moved to a different part of the state, that attitude can be a little frustrating to deal with sometimes.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 PM

204 posts, read 300,190 times
Funny u should say that a lot if people in their. 30's and 40's. Have never been to Detroit I think maybe that holds for the Caucasian community but the African American community has always went to Detroit for us that was the only place we could go for black culture. The little things some people have in grand rapids African Americans never had in g.r. like radio stations , clubs and the shopping , concerts and such. So I think while a lot if Caucasian havent been blacks continue to go and gave been going for years.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr to okc View Post
Funny u should say that a lot if people in their. 30's and 40's. Have never been to Detroit I think maybe that holds for the Caucasian community but the African American community has always went to Detroit for us that was the only place we could go for black culture. The little things some people have in grand rapids African Americans never had in g.r. like radio stations , clubs and the shopping , concerts and such. So I think while a lot if Caucasian havent been blacks continue to go and gave been going for years.
True. And admittedly, most of the people I know in GR are white.

Although I have told black colleagues of mine that I was going to Detroit on a couple of occasions, and many say "Why the hell would you wanna go there?!"

Old 01-19-2013, 11:37 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,809,221 times
Quote:
I also believe it. It makes perfect since that the most negative people has either had an unfortunate bad experience or has had little to no experience at all.

Quote:
This ^^^
Very Very true. I know plenty of African Americans from West Michigan that are very attracted to Detroit for this reason. It caters to our black culture in a way that West MI will probably never will. That's not to bash West MI at all. But I did (still kind of do off and on) live there and the things Detroiters think is a right to them are a privilege to African Americans in West MI. I think this is where Grand Rapids plays the "big city" part in west MI as it caters to minorities more than any other city except for maybe Benton Harbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area