U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 AM

60,413 posts, read 85,462,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
I also believe it. It makes perfect since that the most negative people has either had an unfortunate bad experience or has had little to no experience at all.

This ^^^
Very Very true. I know plenty of African Americans from West Michigan that are very attracted to Detroit for this reason. It caters to our black culture in a way that West MI will probably never will. That's not to bash West MI at all. But I did (still kind of do off and on) live there and the things Detroiters think is a right to them are a privilege to African Americans in West MI. I think this is where Grand Rapids plays the "big city" part in west MI as it caters to minorities more than any other city except for maybe Benton Harbor.
What about places like Kalamazoo, Muskegon/Muskegon Heights, Covert, Baldwin and Cassopolis.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:17 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,799,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about places like Kalamazoo, Muskegon/Muskegon Heights, Covert, Baldwin and Cassopolis.
I live in Kalamazoo off and on. It's lacking in things to do for younger people, minority or not. WMU is the only thing that makes it bearable for a young person. For example, there is no Church's, White Castle, there isn't even a Popeye's there anymore. The northside which is the real black side of Kalamazoo offers almost nothing outside of the churches and church activities. North of north street is where most businesses (outside of Liquor stores) are none existent. There is nothing for young high/middle schoolers to do on nice days but hang out on Ada or Church st and hope not to get jumped or shot at. Crossroads mall is a joke compared to even Grand Rapids. Or just go to the movies which both get really old really fast. Especially that tiny mall which is lacking in many great stores. Downtown Kalamazoo does have it's events which I do attend when I'm there. Rollerworld is ok but not to many people go there anymore. Airway lanes which I do love gets old after a while. Many things are way out of the way if you live somewhere like the northside of Kalamazoo. Even for adults, your options are only improved slightly if your 18. You have Wild Bull on Thursdays and that's it's a college party.

Muskegon has MI Adventures, only thing I can think of never spent much time there.

Covert, my mothers hometown and where my Grandmother currently lives along with quite a few other siblings, my dad even played for the Covert Bulldogs. Spent alot of time there and what can I say? It's the country. A small black town. Everybody knows EVERYBODY there, literary. It makes Kalamazoo seem like a large city in comparison lol. I don't really hear about much of anything going on there but my grandma did tell me that there opening up a Mijers somewhere near there. One plus side to covert is it gets Chicago radio stations because the ones in Kalamazoo are beyond awful. So little variety it's pathetic.

As for the last 2 places I know absolutely nothing about them.

Last edited by MS313; 01-20-2013 at 10:55 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,860 times
Default Each perspective is so different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentern View Post
is Grand Rapids, as a city, as rough as Detroit is? From all perspectives.
To offer an answer as representing "all perspectives" is nearly impossible. If you could offer a few specific areas of concern, it would be easier to address them individually. At least that way there are more details available, though still just due to the opinion of another person.

Rough could refer to crime rates, boarded up buildings, perceived dangerous areas of town, areas known for drug activity, etc. Funny you use the word perspective, as that should answer your question for you.

Even with only about 190,000 people, Grand Rapids does have it's share of crime. The crime rate is above the national average, but the rate has lessened over the last few years. Nonetheless, there is concern about more surprising crimes. Human trafficking in Grand Rapids. Manasseh Project educates community on local human trafficking | The Rapidian An article I wrote about the Manasseh Project in Grand Rapids attempts to explore some of the trouble and solutions.

People are leaving Detroit. It doesn't seem like they are coming to GR, but are finding other places to call home. Too bad about Detroit...

City-data has some interesting facts here: //www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Michigan.html

GR is pretty safe, as are most cities, if you stay aware and alert. If there are truly some spots you get worried about, don't go. There are many rad neighborhoods in this city, and each is constantly evolving and expanding. Now, shops are opening in places that, just a few years ago, could have been deemed "rough." Being caught in the Midwest, GR has been slow to evolve in many areas (we won't get into that now) but some things are slowly changing. Finding its own identity seems to be the biggest struggle for this budding metropolis.

Time will tell, but if you want to truly be safe, try East Grand Rapids.
Attached Thumbnails
is Grand Rapids, as rough as Detroit?-egr-crime.jpg  

Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,038,887 times
When people say "rough" I'm thinking crime. I'm quite sure G.R. is not as rough, and I have never seen any slums. Both the business environment and the politics are different. Crime mapping shows mostly petty crimes but comparatively few gun crimes.
G.R. is not a one-industry town and has not suffered Detroit's fate in that regard.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM

73 posts, read 256,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
I also believe it. It makes perfect since that the most negative people has either had an unfortunate bad experience or has had little to no experience at all.

This ^^^
Very Very true. I know plenty of African Americans from West Michigan that are very attracted to Detroit for this reason. It caters to our black culture in a way that West MI will probably never will. That's not to bash West MI at all. But I did (still kind of do off and on) live there and the things Detroiters think is a right to them are a privilege to African Americans in West MI. I think this is where Grand Rapids plays the "big city" part in west MI as it caters to minorities more than any other city except for maybe Benton Harbor.
The short answer to the original question is NO, not even close on a caparison of GR being as rough as Detroit, not the city, not the metro area, not sheer numbers or volumes or even per capita. The only thing they have in common is being from the same state and having a higher than national avg. which most cities all have as that is where most crimes tend to happen.

As far as the black cultural thing, that is interesting as the black culture in w. mi seems to be very stagnant. If you look at the population changes many communities saw a decrease in African Americans between 2000 and 2010 here and that might have something to do with the lack of amenities catering to that community. I heard somewhere that GR is the largest market in the US WITHOUT a urban/hip hop station. Churches chicken have all closed and there are no white castles as mentioned. All definitely part of the Detroit vibe. Its obviously very segregated here and theres a large income disparity. In my opinion, blacks that leave, and the ones that "make it", dont look back and dont reinvest in the community. Its not one persons obligation to do it but someone could finance the means to open up a Churches franchise or push to get an urban radio station, ect. in GR, kzoo, Benton Harbor, Muskegon, ect.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,872,418 times
Grand Rapids is significantly more diverse, intergreated with significantly less crime then detroit. You could probably live in the majority of the neighbourhoods with ease and without having to worry about your things being stolen unlike detroit. Detroit is only safe in 2 areas downtown, midtown and the area around wayne university. After that its just slums everywhere.

Schools are probably significantly better too but they arent quality schools just average

Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 AM

31 posts, read 56,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You are SO RIGHT! I live in Muskegon, Norton Shores actually. Not the affluent part though! Muskegon Heights is the worst. Back in the day, it was a very nice middle class area. Blue collar. But then 99% of the factories closed and it fell into a dilapidated old boarded up, poverty stricken wasteland. It is sad to see broken down area. The factories of which there are many, are all boarded up, glass shattered and weed infested. It's dangerous now. The high school had so little attendance it actually closed down, And drug dealers now stand on it's corners. Very sad to see so many old boarded up little houses that are now crack dens.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
When people say "rough" I'm thinking crime. I'm quite sure G.R. is not as rough, and I have never seen any slums. Both the business environment and the politics are different. Crime mapping shows mostly petty crimes but comparatively few gun crimes.
G.R. is not a one-industry town and has not suffered Detroit's fate in that regard.
Yes, this is true. It's a lot of petty crimes, but lately more drug-related due to dealers coming across from Detroit. I work in Corrections in Grand Rapids and see this a an alarming pace. Muskegon and Grand Rapids don't have big crime riddled projects, but A LOT of dilapidated boarded up homes that look dusty and old and broken down. Grand Rapids has a lot of homelessness, especially the Division Avenue areas. The drug dealers are now 'prostituting' these people.

A lot of crime in 1988 when I started at the County jail were mostly things like guys shoplifting packs of weenies from Meijers, loitering, DWLS etc; Now....there are guns, big dope, murder an even serial murder.

I have to get out. The jail is not designed to be a maximum security prison, merely a holding facility. It's dangerous and hard, for staff and inmates.

Last edited by lydia415; 02-01-2013 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: typos!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,038,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydia415 View Post
Yes, this is true. It's a lot of petty crimes, but lately more drug-related due to dealers coming across from Detroit. I work in Corrections in Grand Rapids and see this a an alarming pace. Muskegon and Grand Rapids don't have big crime riddled projects, but A LOT of dilapidated boarded up homes that look dusty and old and broken down. Grand Rapids has a lot of homelessness, especially the Division Avenue areas. The drug dealers are now 'prostituting' these people.

A lot of crime in 1988 when I started at the County jail were mostly things like guys shoplifting packs of weenies from Meijers, loitering, DWLS etc; Now....there are guns, big dope, murder an even serial murder.

I have to get out. The jail is not designed to be a maximum security prison, merely a holding facility. It's dangerous and hard, for staff and inmates.
Where are the boarded-up homes in G.R.?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Where are the boarded-up homes in G.R.?
There are quite a few in the Southeast section; Franklin/Eastern area- Wealthy/Hall area before you get to Eastown (which is a cool avant-garde section)- Division Avenue before you get to Downtown Grand Rapids to name a few. It's strange...there are bad neighborhoods, and then just a few blocks in a given direction, it's pretty affluent. Like Heritage Hill with all the beautiful Franklin-Lloyd Wright designed homes is a few blocks away from dope corners...

But, overall I really like Grand Rapids. They have nice resturants, museums, beautiful colleges. awesome hospitals and specialized health medical services...festival in the summer :~) etc.

Last edited by lydia415; 02-02-2013 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area