Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:00 AM

11 posts, read 48,650 times

Advertisements

is Grand Rapids, as a city, as rough as Detroit is? From all perspectives. Or is Grand Rapids, a good place to live in.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:20 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,769,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentern View Post
is Grand Rapids, as a city, as rough as Detroit is? From all perspectives. Or is Grand Rapids, a good place to live in.
They're two very different cities, but I've sworn off saying anything bad about Detroit ever again.

Have you visited Grand Rapids? There are a ton of neighborhood districts in the city, several of them I'd call "world class."

Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,048,844 times
There are some bad areas in Grand Rapids but they are easily avoidable and I would imagine crime there is less than Detroit, but that's just a guess.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:05 PM

49 posts, read 172,466 times
Grand rapids compared to detroit is heaven!

And their isnt any bad places in Grand Rapids. And I say that because people from all races can go anywhere anytime in the city of Grand rapids and feel safe.

The crime that goes on now is mostly related. Its not like you go to wrong part of town and you will get robbed or something unless your looking weak and scared and people can see right through that

Old 11-22-2011, 02:14 PM

49 posts, read 172,466 times
Too add to my post above, now ofcourse your going to have to watch your surroundings in certain areas but that goes with anywhere you live or visit. any state. But for the most part GR is mostly safe..

Old 11-23-2011, 10:33 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,769,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustme1 View Post
Too add to my post above, now ofcourse your going to have to watch your surroundings in certain areas but that goes with anywhere you live or visit. any state. But for the most part GR is mostly safe..
I was going so say, I know people who have been mugged, or had their cars broken into, bikes stolen, etc., in relatively safe areas like Eastown and East Hills. It is a city.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:54 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,722,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I was going so say, I know people who have been mugged, or had their cars broken into, bikes stolen, etc., in relatively safe areas like Eastown and East Hills. It is a city.
I live in the Alger Heights area and my wife's car had the radio ripped off, and her friend spent the night and had her window smashed in and her purse ripped off. Like everyone says it's not the people in those little neighborhoods, but the people walking through that make people nervous.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,710,680 times
Grand Rapids has crime, and bad neighborhoods like any city its size does. Is it as bad as Detroit??? NO WAY. Detroit proper is almost all ghetto, or abandoned. Grand Rapids is not like that at all. Detroits problems sometimes give other Michigan cities a bad rap, but nothing in Michigan even comes close to the decay of Detroit. Heck Detroit even makes places like Flint or Benton Harbor look good. GR is really a nice city overall. I lived in the heritage hill area for a few years and never had a problem.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:56 AM

16,401 posts, read 30,815,771 times
Is Grand Rapids as rough as Detroit? I don't think Grand Rapids can even be considered rough... and Detroit's picture is under the definition of rough in the dictionary.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:09 PM

464 posts, read 828,634 times
Default Having never ever been to Detroit myself...

...but hearing the horror stories that come from there...absolutely not! Having lived both in GR and just outside of BH, however, I can tell you with certainty that GR is a nice little Americana city...quaint yet enough things to do to keep you busy and entertained.

I grew up in a great small farming town adjacent to BH and like many areas...BH was beautiful in its heyday in the 50-60's. Today they struggle with too many people on welfare and a crooked city government that makes it hard to change that back to good again.

Back to topic though: We lived across from the Grand River on the north side of GR and it was lovely. For the most part, it is all good and unless you are clueless...you will be able to immediately identify bad neighborhoods by simply passing through them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area