Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 04:27 PM

9 posts, read 41,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
And I think everyone has made it clear that no one is stating that Grand Rapids is as rough as Detroit, but rather, that there are some rough areas and people in Grand Rapids. Detroit dudes run all up and down Detroit making people scared also. So you mean to tell me that there are not people in Detroit that have other Detroiters scared? Detroit has crews all across this country, that come into a city to sell drugs.

If you are a killer you are a killer.....it does not matter where you are from. If a Grand Rapids cat is not scared to kill someone from Grand Rapids, why would he be scared to kill someone from Detroit or any other place? Lets not forget also that Detroit was populated with folks from places like Mississippi and Alabama.....just like people in SE GR. What makes the situation ROUGH, is our shared history that has black people all over this country enganged in a war against ourselves. That war does not just take place in Detroit......but in all areas with black concentrations.

see this man knows wha he talkin 'bout!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,064 times
Look I just read this whole ****ing thing almost and the crazy thing about it is you MoFo's actually are arguing over who is tougher then the next man, I ask who gives a **** I am from Puerto Rico/Detroit east side BMF and to say that I live a crazier life because of where I'm from here could be misleading now I know people from Detroit Chicago new York Delaware Memphis Miami compton Spanish Harlem Puerto Rico and many other places but the thing that I love about all of these places they have some very good people and also as well as bad people hey 1 thing for damn sure is I was not afraid to be in either place maybe because of where I grew up and HOW made a better transition for me yet I never underestimate nobody so, all who claim this ignorant Shiiiiiiiit stop falling on your paper swords like Shiiiiiiiit bad should be looked up to. Now GR Nuccas don't really have a identity when they leave Michigan so, by that even U claim DETROIT TO BE ACKNOWLEDGED

Old 09-30-2012, 07:40 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,288,220 times
Default Hope this helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentern View Post
is Grand Rapids, as a city, as rough as Detroit is? From all perspectives. Or is Grand Rapids, a good place to live in.
after reading some of the responses to your inquiry I can't say for sure that I have a clear answer for you. However, here is a link to a c-d inquiry concerning GR.

//www.city-data.com/forum/grand-rapids-metro-area/328866-grand-rapids-bad-areas.html

It is a thread from 5-2008 through 4-2010 but there are some opinions from people who live there as well as do not live there. Perhaps like many places in the U.S. these days, there are many, many parts of GR that are exquisitely world class and others that you may feel uncomfortable in...you decide.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muniez View Post
Look I just read this whole ****ing thing almost and the crazy thing about it is you MoFo's actually are arguing over who is tougher then the next man, I ask who gives a **** I am from Puerto Rico/Detroit east side BMF and to say that I live a crazier life because of where I'm from here could be misleading now I know people from Detroit Chicago new York Delaware Memphis Miami compton Spanish Harlem Puerto Rico and many other places but the thing that I love about all of these places they have some very good people and also as well as bad people hey 1 thing for damn sure is I was not afraid to be in either place maybe because of where I grew up and HOW made a better transition for me yet I never underestimate nobody so, all who claim this ignorant Shiiiiiiiit stop falling on your paper swords like Shiiiiiiiit bad should be looked up to. Now GR Nuccas don't really have a identity when they leave Michigan so, by that even U claim DETROIT TO BE ACKNOWLEDGED
Huh?

Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM

31 posts, read 63,975 times
Default A Rough City

Well, I'm from Bronx New York and I have lived in Grand Rapids and visited Detroit. As far as the definition of 'rough', does that mean crime? Poor neighborhoods?... There are all those things in all cities. I would imagine geographically the larger the city, there are more areas that could be considered 'rough'. I have lived in areas that looked picture perfect, but were crime ridden and rough as hell. Basic common sense and a knowledge of the area you are in, especially at night would dictate maybe one should not be there if they are not equipped to deal with a potentially 'rough' situation...So. I guess one is no rougher than the other. A city is a city. Depends on where you are at and your definition of rough.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,849 times
Grand Rapids, especially my neighborhood has seen a spike in murders, rapes and robberies lately. I had someone break into our house recently while I was watching t.v.. thankfully I have large dogs. I think it will be close to detroit in the few years to come.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,714,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis31 View Post
the SE side of it CAN BE every bit as rough as Detroit.

Pops: was a crackhead and even broke into our crib and cleaned us out to fuel his habits. in an' out of jail and been convicted for numerous felonies and was homeless for years.

Moms: commited various crimes (shoplifting, etc.), victim of domestic violence, in a relationship wit a big time dope dealer and provided numerous access to guns which i held in my hand at early age, etc.
Sisters: clinically diagnosed wit depression, an other mental ailments. we tried numerous times to kill each other wit knives, etc.

me: made attempt on my life at 10-12 years old, diagnosed wit mental disease, bullied everyday, jumped and beaten, stabbed in face with an object, fighting all the time and expelled from elementary school for punchin' a girl in the nose, use to break into people houses and cars, made a plan to rob kent bank, my life was threathen for wearin hat in wrong position.

cousins: in and out of jail and prison, convicted for selling drugs, kidnap and gun charges, eventually going to prison for it, the same one had gotten beaten while in juvinile an we sued the state for it, their father is serving two life sentences for reasons unknown, etc. Their sister was a victim of domestic violence (he chocked and hit her) but he hid from us cause we were gonna kill him.

uncle: selling drugs and possible gun possesion (dont recall), child support jail time cause lack of findin a job, etc. Cousin was killed at fannies corner's for "mean muggin" some cat in the same areai had my life threathened as a kid.

I even ended up in ATL cause our spot was invaded by ATF and the pigs cause they were looking for drugs that our pops brother was sellin.

Wow, it seems like most in your family were law-breakers & sometimes violent. Were they just typical family in that neighborhood? Thanks for sharing all that very personal info. These are good examples of why I want to see legal cannabis in stores as it will make people non-violent if anything will, and the street dealers would be out of the business with a 90% drop in price from legalization. If police were willing to end drug war, I think most of crime would disappear. Do you/does anyone agree?

Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM

The info on City-Data shows crime has dropped in Grand Rapids, but still 20% above average.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Crime in Detroit, according to City-Data, is over 200% above average

Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin.bates View Post
Grand Rapids, especially my neighborhood has seen a spike in murders, rapes and robberies lately. I had someone break into our house recently while I was watching t.v.. thankfully I have large dogs. I think it will be close to detroit in the few years to come.
The whole city of Grand Rapids had 18 murders for all of last year, 2012. 17 the year before. For a city of 200,000, that's not very high. Detroit has a population just under 700,000 and had 375.

What neighborhood do you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area