U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 01:23 PM

301 posts, read 714,885 times

Advertisements

I'm comfortable with people of all races, but since I am asian myself, naturally, I would like to meet more people that is similar to me. Are there a lot of asians in Grand Rapids (caledonia, kentwood area)?

I'll be moving up there and it would be nice if there are people that can point me in the right direction for authentic asian food, asian groups, etc etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 05:55 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,737,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
I'm comfortable with people of all races, but since I am asian myself, naturally, I would like to meet more people that is similar to me. Are there a lot of asians in Grand Rapids (caledonia, kentwood area)?

I'll be moving up there and it would be nice if there are people that can point me in the right direction for authentic asian food, asian groups, etc etc.
Not sure what kind of asian you are, but as far as food but there is a nice Thai place on 28th called new Thai bistro

Old 11-24-2011, 10:59 PM

301 posts, read 714,885 times
thanks!

Are there a lot of chinese people in grand rapids?

Old 11-25-2011, 02:08 AM

12,371 posts, read 8,043,914 times
There's a Buddhist Temple/church on Rogue River Rd in Belmont Mi, a suburb of Grand Rapids on the north end. And another on 112 Street in Holland Mi which is west of G.R.---may 20 miles out. There's a couple of Zen centers in town as well. They might be able to steer you in the right direction to find what you're looking for. I would start at the Asian Center http://www.asian-center.org/ and the Asian American http://www.experiencegr.com/visitors...ian-americans/ The latter site says this: "In 2009, approximately 22,000 Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders lived in the Grand Rapids metro region, led by people of Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese and Indian descent."

We have quite a few oriental restaurants in the Great Grand Rapids area---around 75---but I'm not sure I could tell authentic Asian cooking from the Americanized versions. So I'm not going to recommend any of my favorites.

Good luck and welcome to the area!

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 11-25-2011 at 02:24 AM..

Old 11-25-2011, 07:20 AM

356 posts, read 933,713 times
There is a large asian market with a restaurant on Division, north of 44rth St, which I believe is in Kentwood. There are a number of smaller asian markets and restaurants along Division to the north of that location.

grand rapids - Google Maps

Old 11-25-2011, 10:29 AM

16,409 posts, read 27,045,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
There is a large asian market with a restaurant on Division, north of 44rth St, which I believe is in Kentwood. There are a number of smaller asian markets and restaurants along Division to the north of that location.

That'll be the best place to go, it is basically a huge plaza and the market is really big. I go there to pick up duck every once in a while, I am usually the only white guy there when I go.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:32 PM

47 posts, read 87,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post

The restaurant is called Wei Wei Palace, and it's the only authentic Chinese restaurant that I'm aware of in the area. But I'm not familiar with some of the other smaller Asian restaurants along Division.. I think at least a couple of them are Vietnamese.

For Korean, there's just Seoul Garden restaurant. For Japanese, I would recommend Tokyo Grill, although I think there are a few other good options in the area.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:04 AM

2 posts, read 13,559 times
Default Asian in Grand Rapids, Michigan

I am late in my reply since I just found this forum. I currently live in Portland, Oregon, but I was born and raised in western Michigan. Honestly, Grand Rapids, Michigan is is not a desirable place for people of Asian ethnicity in general. My ex-husband is Korean, and my children are multi-cultural. I moved back to the Grand Rapids area for 6 years from the west coast when my oldest child was 2 years old. There is not even one authentic Korean or Thai restaurant in the area, and the Wei Wei Palace restaurant is the only authentic, (non-Americanized), Chinese restaurant as previously mentioned. Although people in western Michigan aren't blatantly racist, imbedded racism is quite rampant, especially in the surrounding small towns of Grand Rapids. The western Michigan area, in general, is extremely ultra-conservative; Grand Rapids is rather surprisingly so considering that it is the second largest city in Michigan. However, it is the headquarters for the Dutch Christian Reformed Church. This is just my honest perspective from having spent several years in both western Michigan, the Detroit area, and in several geographical regions of the United States including San Diego, CA, Florida, Washington, and Oregon. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 AM

2 posts, read 13,559 times
Default Asian in Grand Rapids, Michigan

Oh, I forgot to include that Tokyo Grill is a Korean owned and operated restaurant; you will not find a Japanese owned restaurant in the area. Sushi chefs in particular avoid Grand Rapids; it is known not to be a lucrative area business-wise for their type of cuisine. There are a few really good sushi places in Detroit, Michigan, and a so-so one in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Seoul Garden is a Korean owned Chinese restaurant with a very limited Korean menu. The food is very mediocre and overpriced, and the kitchen itself is filthy. It is aimed at American customers who have no experience with Korean food. You will not find Korean customers there. Hope to help.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 AM

102 posts, read 212,397 times
Helen - who pissed in your Cherios? The guy is looking for Asian connections not a rant about everything you hated. Reading comprehension 101...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area