U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:38 AM

76 posts, read 122,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post
Being an ex-Michigander and the holiday being upon us, wondering if you folks have seen any lovely flakes yet? (Yeah, yeah....I know by Feb/March it will feel different but for now...)
Well, I'm a Michiganian (the proper term, not the political slur), and no, no snow yet.

But I've been here 50 years and have seen all kinds of weather. We will probably get most of it in January and have a late spring, the way things are turning out.

Either that or Mother Nature is preparing us for a winter like 78-79.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 01:53 PM

95 posts, read 216,708 times
During the weather forecast a couple of days ago, the meteorologist stated that Grand Rapids had received a grand total of four inches of snow thus far. Since then, nothing, and doesn't look like we'll get much for the rest of this calendar year.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 PM

464 posts, read 725,014 times
Question Any fluffy stuff today???

Hmm....I hear snow squalls are expected to be blowing through NW IN today...and you Michiganians (and Michiganders) may see something out of it. I remember the 78-79 blizzard and it was FANTASTIC for me as school was closed for days on end and neighbors came together and made grocery store trips for one another by snowmobile for essentials and we fell asleep next to a warm crackling fireplace.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,738,125 times
Quote:
Hmm....I hear snow squalls are expected to be blowing through NW IN today...and you Michiganians (and Michiganders) may see something out of it. I remember the 78-79 blizzard and it was FANTASTIC for me as school was closed for days on end and neighbors came together and made grocery store trips for one another by snowmobile for essentials and we fell asleep next to a warm crackling fireplace.
I think the weathermen are still hoping for something like that blizzard. It seems like every snow storm we have been getting for the past couple of years is made out to be the "blizzard of the century", closing down schools and events days in advanced then come to find out only a couple of inches fell. When I was a kid back in the 90's we had 3-4 foot snow drifts in the back yard now it's nothing

Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 PM

845 posts, read 3,018,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I think the weathermen are still hoping for something like that blizzard. It seems like every snow storm we have been getting for the past couple of years is made out to be the "blizzard of the century", closing down schools and events days in advanced then come to find out only a couple of inches fell. When I was a kid back in the 90's we had 3-4 foot snow drifts in the back yard now it's nothing
Sorry to point to recent history, but wasn't it just last year we had a massive snow-storm that really did paralyze everything for at least 2 days? I know the weathermen are wrong as often as they're right, but to characterize the last few years as lacking blizzards is to forget 2011.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
Sorry to point to recent history, but wasn't it just last year we had a massive snow-storm that really did paralyze everything for at least 2 days? I know the weathermen are wrong as often as they're right, but to characterize the last few years as lacking blizzards is to forget 2011.
I believe the 78-79 one would just about let up and another came in....maybe lasting 10-12 days total...can't remember exactly but there was another on here from GR that may remember exactly...

Last Jan we moved during the one that hit and was followed by an ice storm. Sad to leave family and friends but relieved to make it on the road and be through Chicago by the time it started to ice up. The warm and sunny weather when we got to NM never felt so good.

I see you're in E GR....when we lived on Briggs Blvd. in GR in 94-95, we were w/o electricity for 5 days due to a snow storm and gas stoves and huge fireplaces made it bearable. I don't know how the very old and very young made it through it...

Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post

Yep, every new storm is "the storm of the century". Maybe its because every time it snows, the silly people here have to re-learn how to drive on it.

They won't slow down until nature forces them to.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post

Well, that depends on where you are (in Michigan). Some areas are known to be "snow belts" and get tons of it, while just a few miles either way, they get little or no snow. M-89 thru Allegan, Otsego and Plainwell is one snow belt. Another is just north of Martin, another just north of wayland, and 2 are just north of I-96 north of G.R.

Now add Lake Effect and well, thats why if you can predict the weather here in West Michigan and get it right 60 percent of the time, you can go anywhere else in the USA and get it right 99 percent of the time.

We have the most active, unpredictable weather system in the entire USA.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 PM

Default Yep, Bumbledor is correct...

...as lake effect adds an entirely additional dimension. When we lived in SW MI I could predict the weather coming across the lake just by seeing what Chicago was getting and it would be coming in to our area always an hr or two after.

We were bombarded with snow and more snow sometimes up in GR and I would call my folks down in SW MI to see how they were making out...only to find they had received a little dusting and nothing more.

Hey, Bumbledor....I passed the VA abode on Briggs frequently as we lived just up the street at the old Spencer place and the Fords used to visit the sisters that lived there prior to us. Gerald and Betty pulled in one day, not knowing the surviving sister had went into a nursing home.

Anyway, do you remember that wind storm that came through (1995ish?) and it was like a tornado had swept through? It uprooted a HUGE tree in our backyard.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
...as lake effect adds an entirely additional dimension. When we lived in SW MI I could predict the weather coming across the lake just by seeing what Chicago was getting and it would be coming in to our area always an hr or two after.

We were bombarded with snow and more snow sometimes up in GR and I would call my folks down in SW MI to see how they were making out...only to find they had received a little dusting and nothing more.

Hey, Bumbledor....I passed the VA abode on Briggs frequently as we lived just up the street at the old Spencer place and the Fords used to visit the sisters that lived there prior to us. Gerald and Betty pulled in one day, not knowing the surviving sister had went into a nursing home.

Anyway, do you remember that wind storm that came through (1995ish?) and it was like a tornado had swept through? It uprooted a HUGE tree in our backyard.

Yeah, I remember that one.. It twisted a tree in the front yard of my friends house just north of 4 mile. That was one screwy storm. That and it seems since about the 90's we have had a lot of "straight line winds" that come thru and do a lot of damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area