U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:45 AM

12,544 posts, read 7,610,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreven View Post
Before we moved to East Hills, we wondered a little about safety. After 3 years, it hasn't been the slightest concern. Neighbors on our street all care for each other and there haven't been any problems at all - we love it. I do get the "Crimemapping" reports in my email and sometimes there are things in the general radius, but nothing that concerned us or made us feel unsafe.
I think the fear of crime is worse than the reality of crime in most places. Furthermore, even if there is crime, most often its behavior related crime that people who don't demonstrate that behavior would ever have to worry about falling victim of.

I think most crime is taken way out of context. I don't think that there is a city in America where the suburban residents don't fear crime more than the city residents do. City residents tend to deal with the reality of crime and not the fear of crime like people on the outside looking in have. Hence, when people move into areas they once feared, they learn a little more about the nature of the crimes and realize that they are really not in danger. That is not to say there are not some bad areas where one can be at the wrong place at the wrong time.....but thats akin to streets that have the highest propensity for accidents. You just have to be cautious....not stop driving the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:33 PM

17 posts, read 30,195 times
Well said.

As many of our friends are surburbanites, they see where we live and although they love to visit our restaurants we often get, "It is safe there? You raise your kids there?" I'm amazed how many have a fear of random crime. Like you said - when you pay attention to it almost all of it has something to do with who one keeps company with.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 AM

118 posts, read 251,531 times
I lived in Austin for awhile as a child... I'll give you some advice based on Austin neighborhoods and their relative equivalent.
Please keep in mind northern states do not really have the same apartment complex sprawl southern ones tend to... They can, and more recently developed areas do, but for the most part the older parts of the northern cities are mostly big homes converted to apartments.

okay with that said:

West of Downtown you've got a neighborhood similar to East Riverside & East Austin.

Heritage Hill (near downtown) you've got a neighborhood sort of similar to Hyde Park.

East Town is sort of similar to South Congress, and East grand rapids is close to Barton hills / Rollingwood/ West lake hills in feel.

North and South of downtown you've got a few areas similar to the more seedy parts of East Austin.

General rule of thumb... East side = nicer side... West side = decent, bit more run down but lots of small homes for cheap... anything between the highway and plainfield is hit or miss and south of wealthy not the greatest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area