U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 03:35 PM

26 posts, read 77,486 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if there is anyone that has lived in Lansing but moved to Grand Rapids and found more success in Grand Rapids. I moved to Lansing recently from the East Coast so I wasn't that familar about the area. People that I run into tell me that I would love Grand Rapids. I am used to living in a bigger city and moved closer because of family in Indiana. I wanted to see how the area would be for a single, african-american woman in her late 30s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 06:03 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,736,008 times
Honestly I would pick GR over Lansing any day. The metro area in GR is much more populated and I think you'll find way more to do. Lansing is sort of generic to me. The bulk of it's existance is based on being the capital and having a huge college there. GR seems to be a more well-balanced city to me.

As for being an AA woman I can't really comment, but there are other AA's there.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM

12,486 posts, read 7,590,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple33 View Post
I am wondering if there is anyone that has lived in Lansing but moved to Grand Rapids and found more success in Grand Rapids. I moved to Lansing recently from the East Coast so I wasn't that familar about the area. People that I run into tell me that I would love Grand Rapids. I am used to living in a bigger city and moved closer because of family in Indiana. I wanted to see how the area would be for a single, african-american woman in her late 30s.

The Grand Rapids area is the tale of two realities for me. On one hand, it’s a nice looking, well kept area with plenty of recreational amenities, like beeches and parks, within driving distance. It also has a pretty diverse economy, but diverse in terms of types of manufacturing. I am not sure if it’s still the case, but the Grand Rapids area had the second highest percentage of people employed in manufacturing, in the nation, of metro areas of certain size. Most of the African American middle class in the area are employed in manufacturing, or used to be before GM and other companies scaled back or closed in the area. On the other hand, as an African American, I find the offerings for African Americans dissaponting.

How much you like Grand Rapids, as an African American, depends on details about your lifestyle and things you like to do. The Grand Rapids metro area is twice the size of Lansing’s. However, in Lansing you are not far from Detroit, Flint, Ann Arbor or Grand Rapids. If you are expecting to find nice things to do and places to go, that are frequently mostly by African Americans, to complement the other cultural offerings, you will be disappointed. The area does not even have the basic R&B/Hip Hop FM radio station. There is an AM such station but it goes off when the sun goes down.

I don’t want to be to presumptuous, however, one of the most important things that most single African American women want to know about are prospects with single African American men. Everywhere that I know of, it’s harder for African American women to find Mr. Right. Grand Rapids is no exception, but there are good African American men available, however, it will be hard to meet them because there is not much to do in Grand Rapids that attracts enough blacks where black men and women can cross paths, aside from church. Players go to clubs so the club seen in Grand Rapids is full of players and since you are in your late 30's, you might not be interested in clubs anyway. It’s hyper competitive for African American women to get the right man. If you go to the gym, keep in shape and carry yourself well, while in your 30’s, you should be able to outrank many and have no problem finding a man.

Again, your question could be answered better if you gave more details about what it is you like and are looking for.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 AM

118 posts, read 251,427 times
Grand Rapids is very religious and conservative. The economy isn't very diverse. As someone else said Manufacturing is the major industry, followed by Retail/Service, Medical and Education. If you work in one of those industries and are religious/conservative it may very well be a good fit.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,736,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgoast View Post
Grand Rapids is very religious and conservative. The economy isn't very diverse. As someone else said Manufacturing is the major industry, followed by Retail/Service, Medical and Education. If you work in one of those industries and are religious/conservative it may very well be a good fit.
Grand Rapids itself is liberal and votes democratic often. The surrounding areas are conservative for sure. As far as the economy is concerned, it isn't amazing, but it's better off than anywhere else in the state.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:59 AM

26 posts, read 77,486 times
Thanks you all for your responses. I apreciate all of your feedback!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:01 AM

484 posts, read 1,105,996 times
Default Frankly...

If you're not from around here, you're going to have a hard time socially. This is coming from a black man native to GR.

To be sure, GR is bigger and has more stuff to do than Lansing. However, and particularly within the AA community, most of us are born and raised here. My best advice would be to find a good church and start mingling. From there, you'll meet friends that can help you make connections.

As a professional, I'd suggest that you check out First AME or Messiah first, then ask around for other suggestions if those two don't work out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area