U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 PM

5 posts, read 5,832 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in EGR and lived there for 25 years (before moving to Chicago recently).

There hasn't ever been any significant crime- not one murder/homicide that I can remember, I've been involved with ridealongs with the department, they are great men and women, crime is VERY low, response time is VERY FAST. Overall, there are "fringe" areas that border GR that might see a bit higher crime but as you go west to east there's much less crime, especially east of Plymouth.

It is very walkable- Roses is a great restaurant on Reeds Lake, the "downtown" sidewalks are heated in the winter, there's new development. Yes, taxes are high- but the roads are among the best plowed in the STATE. While I never went to EGR schools, they are among the best in the STATE, and we always felt sorry for the kids because they rarely got a snow day because the roads were always plowed. They also clear the sidewalks with a mini-tank, they pick up landscaping- lawn clippings, tree branches, etc at no cost, they provide a lot for their taxes being higher.

I would live in EGR any day. I ALWAYS felt safe, LOVED walking around the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 09:51 PM

51 posts, read 74,229 times
Thanks for the input pdhaudio! Makes me feel better as another friend of ours is trying to lure us away from that area stating that there are "inner-city issues that you don't want to deal with."

As for taxes, I really do understand the higher taxes thing and some people being put-off by that, but if the city services are top-notch, I don't mind paying for the extra piece of mind. I would love to walk/bike around and feel safe. I also want to be close to work and that would be in the downtown area of GR.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:33 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,741,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgoast View Post
I'd venture to guess most people would understand what I meant, however I'll chalk it up to a cultural difference and try to remember to refer to various parts of the Grand Rapids Metro Area as their own towns.

With that said East Grand Rapids (its own town) has high taxes too. Welcome to Michigan.
Since East Grand Rapids and the Grand Rapids "built" environment are pretty much seamless, I'm with you that I'd consider East Grand Rapids as "part of town" in relation to the whole city/metro area.

Everyone else giving you a hard time about it needs to chill.

I actually think Cascade might have a higher crime rate, when you look at break-ins, etc.. That's why there are so many gated communities, lol.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 18,457 times
I wonder if your friends are talking about Eastown, rather than East Grand Rapids. Of these two, I would guess Eastown has a higher crime rate while East Grand Rapids a higher tax rate. Eastown is just West of East Grand Rapids.

I live in Heritage Hill. I'm a pharmacy student, single, in my 30s, and I've lived here for almost two years now. I like both Eastown and East Grand Rapids. I think Eastown has a lot of character and a more diverse population. Regarding crime rate, I think with street smarts you'll be fine. It's no where near as nice as East Grand Rapids, but EGR I'm sure costs a whole lot more. EGR is beautiful. It makes me think Normal Rockwell.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:54 PM

51 posts, read 74,229 times
Thanks letsplaynice! You could be right. My one friend was a pharmacy student in GR for a bit, but I did my rotations elsewhere. We're both pharmacists now and I'm interested in moving to an area with more "stuff" going on than where I'm currently located. GR seems like a good fit, so I'm excited to learn even more about the area. She did mention that Heritage Hill is nice. EGR is just another option for us. We do want a little space for our two dogs, so that's something we need to think about as well.

Good luck with your pharmacy studies!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:34 AM

118 posts, read 251,400 times
Rockford is another area outside of town that is very norman rockwell. My wife likes to go out there on nice summer days... and dream of the life she might of had, had she not married an artist. Oh well

Old 02-21-2012, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 953 times
Default moving from texas to grand rapids

is there any schools in grand rapids city limits that are even close to the EGR school?? or should i be looking at an out line schools??thanks

Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 PM

8,221 posts, read 16,825,323 times
If you can get into the Zoo or Blandford nature center schools in sixth grade, followed by getting in to City Middle/High School, they've got a really excellent academic reputation at the secondary level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area