Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 PM

51 posts, read 87,112 times

Advertisements

As my hubby and I narrow down our choices for where we would consider living, GR has come up a lot. While neither one of us knows a ton about the area, we are vaguely familiar with it as we've known people who lived there and we've had brief visits with the city on various occasions.

A possible job opportunity has come up and we're thinking, due to location of the job and knowing things we like, that E Grand Rapids looks like a possible place for us to consider buying a home. Some friends of ours (much more familiar w/the GR area than we are) insist that we would not want to live in EGR. Other than high taxes, what would be the reason for not wanting to buy a home in EGR? They stated that crime in that area is especially high, but after some research, it actually seems low. So can anyone tell me anything (other than the high property tax rate), why one wouldn't want to live in EGR? We were told that Cascade would be a much better place.

None of this is a done deal by any means, as we're just trying to plan for the next 1-2 years.

Any info would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,100,245 times
Where on earth did your friends get this misinformation about East Grand Rapids? That's totally off the wall.
You can go ahead and "live" in Cascade, but you'll need your car to get anywhere. EGR is one of the most walkable neighborhoods in the metro GR area. Cascade is rather soulless, in my opinion.
And as far as a "high" tax rate, that's relative. As you know, taxes pay for public services, and in EGR the public library, police, snow removal, etc etc are exemplary. Those are among the things that make for a high quality of life. Quality of life + walkability = a terrific place to live.
Disclaimer: I do not live in East Grand Rapids, but in a close-by neighborhood.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:43 AM

118 posts, read 283,880 times
Taxes in Grand Rapids are high regardless. 1% income city tax, property taxes, garbage collection fees etc. East Grand Rapids is the more affluent part of town. There are very high income areas, and upper middle class areas, and some lower income apartments. The crime rate is low compared to other parts of the city, and it's not a terrible area to live in by any means. There are lots of small shops and eateries, and the area is growing as new developments gentrify the outer areas near East Grand Rapids.

As far as walking in Easter Grand Rapids, you could most wont. Bike friendly is a more realistic description in my opinion. Particularly if you live close to EastTown, or Reed's lake.

Cascade is further out, it's more of a sleepy suburb than anything else. I don't go out there for anything, though taxes may be cheaper you'll be further outside of the city. Neither area is terrible, The urban feel of East Grand Rapids trumps the suburb feel of cascade for me, but it's up to you either way.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:09 AM

51 posts, read 87,112 times
Thanks for your help on this. I more or less thought what both of you have stated. Low crime, great city services, walkability...it's what we're looking for.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,886 times
that's the one place in GR that I would want to live

Old 01-17-2012, 04:14 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
The city of East Grand Rapids is very nice and safe. The east side (specifically the Southeast side) of Grand Rapids itself has some rough areas. EGR is far enough way to where this doesn't matter.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:18 AM

95 posts, read 240,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgoast View Post
Taxes in Grand Rapids are high regardless. 1% income city tax, property taxes, garbage collection fees etc. East Grand Rapids is the more affluent part of town.
More affluent part of what town? East Grand Rapids is its own, separate city. It isn't a part of the city of Grand Rapids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgoast View Post
The crime rate is low compared to other parts of the city, and it's not a terrible area to live in by any means.
Compared to other parts of what city? Again, East Grand Rapids is its own, separate city.

East Grand Rapids has it own tax rates, city services, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro623 View Post
Some friends of ours (much more familiar w/the GR area than we are) insist that we would not want to live in EGR. Other than high taxes, what would be the reason for not wanting to buy a home in EGR? They stated that crime in that area is especially high, but after some research, it actually seems low.
Your friends really doen't seem that much more familiar with the Grand Rapids area than you are. East Grand Rapids certainly doesn't have an "especially high" crime rate and is one of the more desirable places to live.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomRShine View Post
More affluent part of what town? East Grand Rapids is its own, separate city. It isn't a part of the city of Grand Rapids.

Compared to other parts of what city? Again, East Grand Rapids is its own, separate city.

East Grand Rapids has it own tax rates, city services, etc.
You are correct, it is it's own city however it is very much a part of the GR metro district. Along with Kentwood, Walker, Wyoming, and others... When I make statements such as "it's is the more affluent part of town" I am speaking of the entire metro area, not just the small city borders of Grand Rapids.

The idea I have to explain that seems very silly. But I do now see the need to cover all bases in my replies and will try my best to remember to do so in the future.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
Quote:
When I make statements such as "it's is the more affluent part of town" I am speaking of the entire metro area, not just the small city borders of Grand Rapids.
Nobody else does that. When people talk about a "part of town," they usually mean within the actual city limits.

Explaining it is not silly. The only thing silly is that you worded it that way in the first place.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Nobody else does that. When people talk about a "part of town," they usually mean within the actual city limits.

Explaining it is not silly. The only thing silly is that you worded it that way in the first place.
I'd venture to guess most people would understand what I meant, however I'll chalk it up to a cultural difference and try to remember to refer to various parts of the Grand Rapids Metro Area as their own towns.

With that said East Grand Rapids (its own town) has high taxes too. Welcome to Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area