U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 AM

12,525 posts, read 7,603,124 times

Advertisements

I think that this study by the University of Wisconsin, which only includes the 40 largest metro areas, also holds true for the Grand Rapids area. Its shocking data concerning black male employment levels.

Manufacturing was the primary source of middle income earnings for most African Americans in the area. Blacks were employed disproportionate to their numbers in this sector. Hence, the fallout has likely been disproportionate as well, as it has been in other cities in this region.

In light of that, I would also imagine that less than 50% of working age African Americans, in the Grand Rapids area, are employed.

http://www4.uwm.edu/ced/publications...yment_2012.pdf

Employment of black men drops drastically - JSOnline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 PM

3,095 posts, read 5,626,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think that this study by the University of Wisconsin, which only includes the 40 largest metro areas, also holds true for the Grand Rapids area. Its shocking data concerning black male employment levels.

Manufacturing was the primary source of middle income earnings for most African Americans in the area. Blacks were employed disproportionate to their numbers in this sector. Hence, the fallout has likely been disproportionate as well, as it has been in other cities in this region.

In light of that, I would also imagine that less than 50% of working age African Americans, in the Grand Rapids area, are employed.

Those are painful statistics. Another hidden impact of losing manufacturing jobs.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,748,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

I think there were some local stats on that done by CRI out of Grand Valley State University. Very similar findings.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:28 PM

16,409 posts, read 27,063,113 times
Definitely, and it is the color of their skin that is holding them back from finding work..

Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 PM

Ask andd you shall receive! This study by the Urban Institute ranks Grand Rapids 87 out of the 100 largest metro areas, in racial inequality for blacks. In other words, the area gets an F grade in regards to racial inequality. This is a link to an inter-active map. Mouse over the metro area and it will display metrics for the area.

Charts and Graphs | MetroTrends

Let me also say that there is no "snap shot" explanation for this. In other words, one cannot look at a single point in time, the snap shot, and understand why this is. The situation evolved into what it is over centuries and decades and is not simply the result of "local" phenomena.

That said, before anyone says that education is the key....first realize that only 26% of jobs in the national economy, and probably much lower than that in West Michigan, require a college degree. That means that the vast majority of jobs demanded by the economy do not require post secondary education. Jobs are demand driven and not supply driven. In other words, getting a college education does not create economic demand for a college education. There is a slight gap, between the supply of educated people, in particular skill sets, and the demand for them, which allows the unemployment rate of those with college education to remain relatively low. However, if everyone who is currently unemployed magically became college graduates, the vast majority of them would still be unemployed or underemployed because supply will still exceed demand.

Also.....keep in mind studies like this and or this. It's an ugly reality that people like sticking their head in the sand about....but racism is real. Think of it like this: What percent of a people living in a city need to be engaged in criminal activity to make people feel unsafe? Remember there is a one-to-many relationship between criminals and victims. In truth, a very small percent of individuals commiting crimes can make citizens feel like hostages. Now ask yourself what percent of people need to be racist to reek havok on opportunity for people of color? Lets not forget that one-to-many relationship. One racist hiring manager, loan officer, judge, police officer, teacher, real estate agent, etc, or institutions, can do a lot of damage.

The fact that crime is against the law does not stop crime and the fact that discrimination is against the law does not stop discrimination. Yet, people seem to point to when laws ended against discrimination as the point where discrimination (racism in actionable form) ended.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-02-2012 at 07:02 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Now ask yourself what percent of people need to be racist to reek havok on opportunity for people of color? Lets not forget that one-to-many relationship. One racist hiring manager, loan officer, judge, police officer, teacher, real estate agent, etc, or institutions, can do a lot of damage.
I had never really thought of it that way before, but that makes sense. I think the true, overt racists are a dying breed, but that doesn't mean they aren't still doing a disproportionate amount of damage.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 AM

I am not surprised that Lansing scored so much better than Grand Rapids. I've spent a lot of time in both places, and Lansing is noticeably less segregated.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
[url="http://datatools.metrotrends.org/charts/metrodata/rankMap_files/EquityMap_files/RankMapBlack.cfm"]

I am not surprised that Lansing scored so much better than Grand Rapids. I've spent a lot of time in both places, and Lansing is noticeably less segregated.
I think that tends to be true for a lot of cities that are college towns. I think Ann Arbor would rank low in segregation as well. There also seems to be a correlation between industrial cities and segregation. Milwaukee just seems to be the worst in every catagory. Detroit used to be right up there with Milwaukee but the housing bubble the last decade allowed for increased suburbinization of many blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area