U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 AM

845 posts, read 3,018,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysty View Post
Thankyou everyone for your input. Looks like downtown/Heritage Hill is my best bet considering the proximity to the hospitals. I want a max of 10-15 mins walking distance from the butterworth hospital so these 2 options seem reasonable.

Now the questions is How can I find good but affordable housing in these areas. I want to find a 3 bed apartment or a 3 bed single family home which is not more than 1500 per month. Is it too low for these areas? Please guide me to narrow down my options before coming to GR to have a look at them. I want to be as sure as possible since I will be making only one trip from the west coast before moving in.

Thankyou everyone for your help.
I agree, based on your discussion that you would enjoy Heritage Hill/Downtown.

I would suggest that if you've got kids (which I assume you do since you asked about schools) that Heritage Hill might be a nicer lifestyle. You'll have a yard for your kids to play in (albeit small, it is still city living) and probably walking distance to a playground at a school.

If you look at the northern half of Heritage Hill you could easily walk to Butterworth and GR Montessori. For some reason Magellan's link isn't working for me (takes me to a school in Washington) but you can also find it through the GRPS website: Grand Rapids Public Schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 08:34 AM

102 posts, read 212,422 times
Seems slightly hypocritical in your first post to say finances aren't an issue and then think you're going to find a 3 bedroom house to rent in EGR for less than $1,500. Either you can afford to live there or you can't.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:36 AM

102 posts, read 212,422 times
PS - CL has three for you in that range. Best for you to search on there and fluctuate how much you want to spend.

grand rapids apts/housing for rent classifieds "egr" - craigslist

Old 02-06-2012, 01:38 PM

845 posts, read 3,018,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanliving99 View Post
Seems slightly hypocritical in your first post to say finances aren't an issue and then think you're going to find a 3 bedroom house to rent in EGR for less than $1,500. Either you can afford to live there or you can't.
I think they're settled on Heritage Hill actually.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,744,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
I agree, based on your discussion that you would enjoy Heritage Hill/Downtown.

I would suggest that if you've got kids (which I assume you do since you asked about schools) that Heritage Hill might be a nicer lifestyle. You'll have a yard for your kids to play in (albeit small, it is still city living) and probably walking distance to a playground at a school.

If you look at the northern half of Heritage Hill you could easily walk to Butterworth and GR Montessori. For some reason Magellan's link isn't working for me (takes me to a school in Washington) but you can also find it through the GRPS website: Grand Rapids Public Schools

That is weird. It was working before, but now grmontessori.org redirects to grmontessori.com.

$1500/month rent for 3 bedrooms is going to be tough, anywhere.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:10 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,736,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
That is weird. It was working before, but now grmontessori.org redirects to grmontessori.com.

$1500/month rent for 3 bedrooms is going to be tough, anywhere.

We had a 2 bed for $700 and there was a 4bed for $1600 in our unit downtown. I'm not sure that price range is really all that unrealistic.

Cherry Hill Home (http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/apa/2820637761.html - broken link)

Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 PM

25 posts, read 69,770 times
@suydam...Yes I believe HH/Downtown is the one for me as I want walking distance to the hospitals. I am looking more towards heritage hill now since it is pretty close to the hospital and the Montessori too.

@urbanliving99...I don't think its hypocritical at all. Finances are not an issue does not mean that I should not look for a good deal. Currently I am living in a 3bed house under 1300 so it is wise to look for better deals not hypocritical.

I am only looking at HH now for housing and I am looking at all the links that were mentioned in this thread. Hopefully I will find a good deal soon. Thank you everyone for all the input. I have a much much better idea of the place then I had few days back.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 PM

17 posts, read 30,176 times
Default GR Montessori

Working on a new website to replace the old grmontessori.org - looks like the domain got gobbled up by another school. Great school - send me a message if you have questions about it. We're happy GRM parents. =)

Old 03-04-2012, 03:13 PM

643 posts, read 2,289,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
We had a 2 bed for $700 and there was a 4bed for $1600 in our unit downtown. I'm not sure that price range is really all that unrealistic.

Cherry Hill Home (http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/apa/2820637761.html - broken link)
Good Lord! I cannot believe you get this for only 1320.00 a month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area