U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 06:31 PM

25 posts, read 69,770 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My question is roughly the same but with different specifics. I am moving to GR from West Coast in a couple of months and have absolutely no clue about accommodation or schools.

I want to know what is the best location to live (safety is the most important aspect) closest to the medical facilities. I am not looking for anything that is more than 5 miles away from Butterworth Hospital.

My second question is what is the best school public/private for preschool/elementary level. Are there any good "girls only" schools in the city ?

My utmost priority is safety and proximity to the medical facilities as far as housing is concerned and excellent education and atmosphere as far as schooling is concerned. Finances etc are not an issue so I request anyone who is familiar with the city to guide me through this.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 AM

8,232 posts, read 16,831,262 times
GR is a pretty compact city, as are the first ring suburbs. A five mile radius gets you both the city of East Grand Rapids (mix of historic and newer homes, walkable suburb, best-regarded schools in the area, 'old money') and the closer in parts of the area known as Forest Hills (Grand Rapids and Cascade Townships, schools almost as good as EGR, newer homes, larger lots but less walkable, 'new money')

There really haven't been any all girls schools in the area since Marywood and Mount Mercy closed in the late 70s/early 80s. The private school options are either the Catholic system and the conservative Christian schools which are largely Calvinist. You don't have to be a church member to get into those system, though being a Christian in general helps. The good parts of the system are pretty much on par with EGR. No real independent non-sectarian private options.

Compared to the big Pacific Rim population centers, you'll find your housing dollar goes pretty far in the area.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 PM

447 posts, read 1,122,620 times
I'd certainly suggest East Grand Rapids, a separate city, but immediately adjacent to Grand Rapids. excellent public schools, very close to Spectrum/Butterworth.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:58 PM

16,409 posts, read 27,051,542 times
I know you said within 5 miles, but Ada might be a pretty decent bet too. The Forest Hills school district is very good.. maybe better than East Grand Rapids. Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either, I thought I'd just throw out another option. I think the houses out in the Forest Hills area are a little better than the EGR parts of town, but that's just my opinion. You could also take a look at the West side of town, but the suburb part and look in to the Kenowa Hills district.. that's where I went and I don't have any complaints.

Honestly, anywhere in Grand Rapids is nice as long as you aren't in Grand Rapids Public Schools..

Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. It does give an outline to where I should be looking for housing.

If you have to rank the schools in East Grand Rapids as 1,2,3 what would they be (both public and private)

Old 02-01-2012, 07:27 PM

845 posts, read 3,018,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hysty View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. It does give an outline to where I should be looking for housing.

If you have to rank the schools in East Grand Rapids as 1,2,3 what would they be (both public and private)
East Grand Rapids is a small, affluent bedroom community adjacent to Grand Rapids.

You mentioned working for Butterworth. You would find many of your colleagues living in East Grand Rapids.

From a schools perspective, there is only one private school within the city limits, a small catholic elementary school. People primarily move to East G.R. because of the great public schools. Most of your colleagues who live there would echo that sentiment.

The housing stock is older, on smaller lots than you'd find in Ada (another great suggestion, but more than 5 miles out)

Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 PM

Can you name any good Montessori/preschool in these areas?
Thanks

Old 02-02-2012, 01:27 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,744,725 times
Quote:
Thanks

Grand Rapids Montessori, right on College Ave in Heritage Hill (I think is where it's still located). Parents rave about it, and are trying to expand it to higher grade levels.

Grand Rapids Montessori School

I also hear good things about the Child Discovery Center, which used to be on the West Side but is now in Heritage Hill also. Harrison Park Elementary (GRPS) is also a pretty well run school.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:17 AM

845 posts, read 3,018,657 times
Quote:
Thanks
I live in EGR. Many of our friends who prefer Montessori have used Stepping Stones Montessori for a few years before moving their kids to EGR public schools for later elementary or waiting until Middle School (6th grade) to go the public schooling route.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 PM

Thankyou everyone for your input. Looks like downtown/Heritage Hill is my best bet considering the proximity to the hospitals. I want a max of 10-15 mins walking distance from the butterworth hospital so these 2 options seem reasonable.

Now the questions is How can I find good but affordable housing in these areas. I want to find a 3 bed apartment or a 3 bed single family home which is not more than 1500 per month. Is it too low for these areas? Please guide me to narrow down my options before coming to GR to have a look at them. I want to be as sure as possible since I will be making only one trip from the west coast before moving in.

Thankyou everyone for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area