Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:51 PM

25 posts, read 76,917 times

Advertisements

Is downtown a good/safe place to live. I have come across some apartment complex like Plaza Tower apartments and The Gallery apartments. Are they safe options if you want to be as close to the hospitals as possible ?

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,858 times
Yes. Downtown is a safe place to live. If your goal is proximity to Spectrum Butterworth or St. Mary's I think downtown is a great option!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:31 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hysty View Post
Is downtown a good/safe place to live. I have come across some apartment complex like Plaza Tower apartments and The Gallery apartments. Are they safe options if you want to be as close to the hospitals as possible ?

Thanks everyone
The only real "problems" that occur downtown are when the bars let out at 2am, when all the ruralites from Sparta and Dorr can't handle their liquor.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:57 AM

118 posts, read 283,880 times
Yeah it's safe. You'll still need to travel outside of downtown to grocery shop and things. It's not a place where you can live comfortably without a car like some cities. Heritage Hill is another neighborhood just East of downtown that is also very close to medical mile and the hospitals. I live in HH, I was at St. Mary's yesterday it was a two minute drive from my home.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:14 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The only real "problems" that occur downtown are when the bars let out at 2am, when all the ruralites from Sparta and Dorr can't handle their liquor.
Haha this is so true. Stand outside McFaddens for 10 minutes outside of close and you're guaranteed to see a sloppy fight.

To the OP, I lived downtown for 3-4 years and never had the slightest problem. Statistically it's one of the safest parts of GR. There are some crazy people that live in a section 8 building on Monroe Center, but they are generally harmless and the police station is literally right across the street from it.

Like Redgoast said you can't be totally car-less in GR from a practical standpoint, but there were plenty of weekends where I never touched my car and just walked everywhere.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
There are some crazy people that live in a section 8 building on Monroe Center, but they are generally harmless and the police station is literally right across the street from it.
Are you referring to Morton House?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 AM

25 posts, read 76,917 times
Thanks everyone. I do have car and don't mind to go out for grocery shopping or other stuff even if it is a little far off. My main concern is safety and proximity to the medical mile. I don't want to drive more than 2-3 mins to work at 4am in the morning.

If you compare Heritage Hill/East Grand Rapids/Downtown which one is the most safe and closest to the hospitals. I have narrowed down these three options so far. Please let me know IF there are any other options.

Thanks

Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Haha this is so true. Stand outside McFaddens for 10 minutes outside of close and you're guaranteed to see a sloppy fight.

To the OP, I lived downtown for 3-4 years and never had the slightest problem. Statistically it's one of the safest parts of GR. There are some crazy people that live in a section 8 building on Monroe Center, but they are generally harmless and the police station is literally right across the street from it.

Like Redgoast said you can't be totally car-less in GR from a practical standpoint, but there were plenty of weekends where I never touched my car and just walked everywhere.
They closed that building and evicted all the renters. The new owners are looking at renovating it.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
They closed that building and evicted all the renters. The new owners are looking at renovating it.
Yep, unless you live in/around Grand Rapids it's nearly impossible to keep track of everything happening lately.

New brewery just opened: Long-awaited Harmony Brewing Company opens with 'more than a hint of whimsy' in Eastown (photos) | MLive.com

Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 PM

118 posts, read 283,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hysty View Post
Thanks everyone. I do have car and don't mind to go out for grocery shopping or other stuff even if it is a little far off. My main concern is safety and proximity to the medical mile. I don't want to drive more than 2-3 mins to work at 4am in the morning.

If you compare Heritage Hill/East Grand Rapids/Downtown which one is the most safe and closest to the hospitals. I have narrowed down these three options so far. Please let me know IF there are any other options.

Thanks
East grand rapids is further away then the other two. both HH and downtown are safe and close to the hospitals. if you live downtown it's probably a 2-3 minute drive to medical mile.. if you live in HH (depending on which street) it could be a 5-6 minute walk.

We (my wife and i) lived on the corner of lafayette and lyon and i could walk to the hospital in about 5 minutes. On that corner i often saw people in scrubs walking to and from work. When we left that apartment, it was rented to medical students.

Both are close and safe.. do you want to live in a city center in a condo or do you want to live in a victorian style building in a neighborhood? Those are really the only questions you have to ask yourself. either way make sure you have parking included with your place.

I live in HH, i almost never go anywhere other than downtown, EGR, or HH. and as such I fill my gas tank once a month at most. I work downtown and get groceries right up the road at the family fare..... I do have to go to 28th street for cat food, and other crap though... but everyone does. sometimes i go out to meijer on beltline... but its rare. The extra cost of family fare is worth the convenience for me, plus they have better quality meat then meijer.

Last edited by redgoast; 02-03-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area