U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:46 PM

179 posts, read 230,479 times

Advertisements

I'm not from GR, but you mentioned volunteering at the Red Cross, and proximiy to a community college. Are you going into nursing? GRCC would be a great place to get your pre-reqs done or improve your GPA if you're going back to school, but its a long wait list to get into the actual program. A few universities (GVSU, Ferris State) have programs in downtown GR. Something you might want to look into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 08:15 PM

356 posts, read 933,881 times
Check out the neighborhood just west of the 6th St Bridge, aka Stocking. It is lower cost than HH and has good bike path access downtown.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:13 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,935,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr83 View Post
I'm not from GR, but you mentioned volunteering at the Red Cross, and proximiy to a community college. Are you going into nursing? GRCC would be a great place to get your pre-reqs done or improve your GPA if you're going back to school, but its a long wait list to get into the actual program. A few universities (GVSU, Ferris State) have programs in downtown GR. Something you might want to look into.
Thanks John No, I'm not going into nursing, however I am (a long out of practice) Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant. Sometimes I think about getting back into this field, I, of course, would have to seriously brush up on my skills lol.

I do have an interest and have been involved for many years in community theatre and it appears as though there is a lot going on as it relates to the arts in this community.

The more I research the more I like this area! Hopefully I'll make my decision soon as I dread spending another summer in my current location

Old 02-11-2012, 09:36 PM

5 posts, read 9,202 times
On the north side of GR, you can easily get a 1 BR apt in your price range. Off the top of my head, york creek and old orchard have 1 BR under 500 with heat included, so all you pay is electric. There are libraries , cafes, and plenty of businesses around Alpine, but GRCC is a few miles away. The rapid (bus) stops all over Alpine, so that really isn't a problem. If you are looking for a decent neighborhood, I would definitely look at the north end of town.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:05 AM

Thanks ArmyVet...Do you or have you lived in the Grand Rapids/surrounding area? If so, may I ask what is/was your experience living and/or working in the area? I realize opinions/experiences can be subjective, but I also feel that it does help to know what others have experienced.

Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet25b View Post
On the north side of GR, you can easily get a 1 BR apt in your price range. Off the top of my head, york creek and old orchard have 1 BR under 500 with heat included, so all you pay is electric. There are libraries , cafes, and plenty of businesses around Alpine, but GRCC is a few miles away. The rapid (bus) stops all over Alpine, so that really isn't a problem. If you are looking for a decent neighborhood, I would definitely look at the north end of town.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:37 PM

484 posts, read 1,106,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet25b View Post
No offense to anyone living in York Creek or Old Orchard, but if you're over 30, you probably won't like living in either apartment complex.

One area not mentioned is the Belknap neighborhood. It's just across I-196 from downtown proper. There are a few crime spots but for the most part, it's decent housing stock, and I believe due to it's proximity to the Medical Mile, it's poised to see a lot of positive changes and investment.

You may also try looking in the Midtown neighborhood, which is the next neighborhood east of Heritage Hill. The housing options there, especially closer to Heritage Hill, have just as much character for less money. You'll only be adding maybe 5-10 minutes to a walk downtown.

A good place to take a look at what's available to rent in the entire area is rentgr.com

Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 PM

10 posts, read 14,535 times
Default Go with Heritage Hill

I'm originally from the Detroit area and went to school at Grand Valley, then stayed in GR. We really like it in Heritage Hill and have lived here 4.5 years. My wife, our cat and I rent a 2 bedroom penthouse (the whole 3rd floor 1400 sq ft) of an 1874 house in HH, which has central air, dishwasher, outdoor patio, washer, dryer, storage space and one garage parking spot for $800/month in a prime part of northern HH. The cost of living here is great compared to most other desirable areas of the country. Our old one bedroom we moved from last summer was $470/month just across the street.

The neighborhood is very vibrant with lots of people walking, running, and biking at all hours. It's really an exciting place to live without being too busy or loud. I can get almost anywhere in the Grand Rapids area in 20 minutes from where I live by car or most places by bike in under an hour. The Rapid public transit is pretty good and is free for employees of Spectrum and many college students. The bus service is expanding this summer and they are adding a bus rapid transit system.

I work about 1.25 miles away and bike when I can (often have to drive for my work) and attend GRCC to do some pre-requisites for a doctorate in Physical Therapy. The college is a 10-20 minute walk from most places in HH and has a COTA program. There are lots of jobs in that field around here. In the downtown area, there are two general hospitals (St. Mary's and Spectrum Butterworth), a children's hospital (DeVos Children's Hospital) and a rehabilitation hospital (Mary Free Bed), as well as Spectrum Blodgett Hospital two miles away in East GR. It is a great hospital, very laid back and was a 10 minute 2 mile bike ride for me when I used to live there.

Grand Rapids area has a great quality of life, with a vibrant downtown and strong neighborhoods, great parks, a fun zoo, great bike path network, close to the northwoods and Lake Michigan beaches, most of the shopping you could want (we go to Chicago or Detroit for more upscale shopping), not much traffic to speak of, pretty low crime in most places and generally an up and coming feel unlike most of Michigan.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 PM

10 posts, read 14,535 times
Default Another city to check out, Columbus Ohio

I love Grand Rapids, but another city that I would consider moving to is Columbus, Ohio. It's quite a bit bigger than GR, but still has a great cost of living, an active, vibrant feel about it, great neighborhoods with interesting architecture and easy transportation. Columbus offers better shopping options than GR, a bigger job market, milder winters with less snow, earlier springs, later falls and similar summer weather. It's a scenic area with lots of trees and hills and is close to the Appalachian Mountains if you are into the outdoors. It's also closer to east coast and southern cities if you like to travel by car.

I really like GR, but if I had to move, Columbus would be right near the top of my list, along with Denver.

Good Luck!

Old 03-23-2012, 01:29 PM

WOW, that penthouse sounds wonderful!! Great, great information! Thank you so much Aaron! My sights have been set on this area for some time, we may have to spend time in the Flint (Lapeer, Imlay City) area before we make the final move, but that would give me the opportunity to visit and take my time to find as great a place to live as yours!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronT View Post
I'm originally from the Detroit area and went to school at Grand Valley, then stayed in GR. We really like it in Heritage Hill and have lived here 4.5 years. My wife, our cat and I rent a 2 bedroom penthouse (the whole 3rd floor 1400 sq ft) of an 1874 house in HH, which has central air, dishwasher, outdoor patio, washer, dryer, storage space and one garage parking spot for $800/month in a prime part of northern HH. The cost of living here is great compared to most other desirable areas of the country. Our old one bedroom we moved from last summer was $470/month just across the street.

The neighborhood is very vibrant with lots of people walking, running, and biking at all hours. It's really an exciting place to live without being too busy or loud. I can get almost anywhere in the Grand Rapids area in 20 minutes from where I live by car or most places by bike in under an hour. The Rapid public transit is pretty good and is free for employees of Spectrum and many college students. The bus service is expanding this summer and they are adding a bus rapid transit system.

I work about 1.25 miles away and bike when I can (often have to drive for my work) and attend GRCC to do some pre-requisites for a doctorate in Physical Therapy. The college is a 10-20 minute walk from most places in HH and has a COTA program. There are lots of jobs in that field around here. In the downtown area, there are two general hospitals (St. Mary's and Spectrum Butterworth), a children's hospital (DeVos Children's Hospital) and a rehabilitation hospital (Mary Free Bed), as well as Spectrum Blodgett Hospital two miles away in East GR. It is a great hospital, very laid back and was a 10 minute 2 mile bike ride for me when I used to live there.

Grand Rapids area has a great quality of life, with a vibrant downtown and strong neighborhoods, great parks, a fun zoo, great bike path network, close to the northwoods and Lake Michigan beaches, most of the shopping you could want (we go to Chicago or Detroit for more upscale shopping), not much traffic to speak of, pretty low crime in most places and generally an up and coming feel unlike most of Michigan.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 PM

UPDATE: I will be taking a look-see trip to the area mid-end of April...We will be renting, if we choose to relocate to GR/Heritage Hill, my question: is June-July a renters "market" because of the college break or is this the time of year where the area has a greater influx of college students looking to rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area