Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 AM

8 posts, read 12,262 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Looking for any customer reviews on DSL or satellite internet. I'm moving to a rural area and found out that dreaded Comcast is not available. As much as I can't stand dealing with Comcast, I work from home and high-speed internet is a must.

After a little research, it seems my options are AT&T DSL and a new satellite company "Exeed" that offers satellite internet.

I feel like the DSL service will get the job done (albeit at a slower speed than what I'm used to) but intrigued with Exeed (they claim up to 12mbps download speed, but require a 2 year commitment).

Any reviews and/or opinions out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 11:17 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times
my parents used to run their internet off the phone line, slow as heck, but recently switched to Verizon wireless internet.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,944 times
We have had quite a bit of frustration getting reliable Internet here. I have found that Verizon seems the most popular here for rural areas. We had it for a bit but it was very unreliable. We tried Virgin Moblie, which was cheaper, but that too did not work for us. I finally found Exceed and we have gone with them. It is a bit pricey, but what are you gonna do? We had to go with the exterior antenna to get good speed. It is reliable, somtimes slow, but if I unplug the router & modem it seems to help. That might also be becase we to keep them in the garage because we don't have enough cable to bring it in the house They said we could stream YouTube and nexflix, but we cannot. I have to load a YouTube video fully before I can watch it. That part is annoying. Now, depending on your location Verizon might work for you. We are on the edge of a coverage area for them & virigin mobile. AT&T will not service our area.

Hth. If you have questions, just ask. I will check back.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 AM

8 posts, read 12,262 times
Thanks for the help. That is disappointing that you can't stream with Exeed. Do you know if the verizon service is fast enough to stream netflix/hulu? I know they have caps on your monthly usage, but I haven't found out how much. This whole "my life revolves around high speed internet" debacle is a big bummer because I don't only use internet for work but I also do not pay for cable/satellite tv because the only shows I watch are either on netflix or hulu. Woe is me.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:29 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times
satellite sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area