U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 02:50 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,083,672 times

Advertisements

Is this a year round schooling district? I thought I had heard it was. The trimester schedules. Also any thoughts on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,741,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Is this a year round schooling district? I thought I had heard it was. The trimester schedules. Also any thoughts on it?
No, I think there are only a few of those in the entire State.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:12 PM

I saw an article where it says "Grand Rapids Montessori, Coit Creative Arts Academy and Dickinson, Campus and Campau Park elementary schools" are year round but they are suggesting that Coit and Montessori would be the only ones to stay that way.

Are those public schools?

Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I saw an article where it says "Grand Rapids Montessori, Coit Creative Arts Academy and Dickinson, Campus and Campau Park elementary schools" are year round but they are suggesting that Coit and Montessori would be the only ones to stay that way.

Are those public schools?
Yes, within GRPS. I thought you were asking if the whole district was year round.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 AM

So Im assuming that going to Coit or Montessori would depend on your address? Just asking because I have never heard of public schools being called "Creative Arts Academies" or Montessori schools.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:12 PM

157 posts, read 261,157 times
They are public charter schools open to all in the district.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canewbie View Post
They are public charter schools open to all in the district.
K. Explanation? I guess I need to read up more before we decide where to live. This seems like a completely different type of district from where we are moving from. I am in a great school district in Missouri. One of the best in the state. We go to the elementary school based upon our home address. Does this work the same in GR? Im going to assume there is a massive waiting list to get in to the year round schools? Not moving until the July so haven't really started a ton of research on where to live due to time constraints.

Thank you guys for the help so far.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:46 AM

845 posts, read 3,018,325 times
Michigan is different than other states in how our districts are made up too. Not sure where you live in Mizzou, but here we have lots of districts within the greater GR area too.

Living anywhere in "Kent County" grants you the title of "I live in the Grand Rapids area." Yes, that's an over-generalization, but it's close enough if you're a transplant.

Given that, this map shows the myriad of school districts in the region http://www.michigan.gov/documents/CG...T_103412_7.pdf

If you're looking for a more urban lifestyle, then Grand Rapids proper (the schools you've mentioned) or East Grand Rapids (an older, affluent, walkable, inner-ring suburb with excellent academic reputation) might be the best for you. If you're looking for suburban, Forest Hills has outstanding schools and would be a good choice. Honestly, there are others too!

You should definitely spend some time researching.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:19 PM

157 posts, read 261,157 times
There are traditional public schools where attendance is based on which neighborhood you live in and there are public charter schools which are open to kids who apply. Based on number of applicants there may or may not be a lottery and waitlist. Good luck with your search.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
K. Explanation? I guess I need to read up more before we decide where to live. This seems like a completely different type of district from where we are moving from. I am in a great school district in Missouri. One of the best in the state. We go to the elementary school based upon our home address. Does this work the same in GR? Im going to assume there is a massive waiting list to get in to the year round schools? Not moving until the July so haven't really started a ton of research on where to live due to time constraints.

Thank you guys for the help so far.
There are individual districts based upon where you live, and then elementary/middle/high schools within those districts based upon where you live. But Michigan is one of many states that allow charter schools, where basically anyone can go to those charter schools, regardless of where you live (you just have to get your kids there yourself, no buses, I believe). And there is no tuition to attend.

Grand Rapids Public Schools just covers the actual "city" of Grand Rapids. It's a struggling urban district, so it has gone through many attempts at reinventing itself with public/private partnerships and innovative programs. That's why there is the Coit Academy, GR Montessori, and the Centers of Innovation. Centers of Innovation Listings

I don't know that you'll find a big waiting list based on year-round availability. Michigan has an entire economy built on Summer tourism, and people (teachers especially) have gotten used to having their 2.5 months off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or